Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New DAA Apha-Xi Mag pounches

usmc1977

Has anyone else seen that the DAA Alpha-X mag pouches are being replaced with an “Alpha-Xi” version to be released in June. Now I know why nobody has any of the Alpha-X pouches in stock. I have been trying to get my Czechmate setup completed and have been really frustrated that I can’t find the Alpha-X pouches....Now I am pleased that I will be able get the latest and greatest version. Anyone have any idea what the new one will bring that the previous version lacked?

e7537114a74c1aff4a2567365aae2f0c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These new ones are so much better than the old ones. Make the old ones seem like garbage.

Are you saying the Alpha-Xi pouches are going to make the Alpha-X pouches seem like garbage? That would be a pretty big advancement as the Alpha-X pouches were pretty awesome.

41 minutes ago, Silverscooby27 said:

These new ones are so much better than the old ones. Make the old ones seem like garbage.

The discussion is on the newer soon-to-be-released Alpha-Xi mag pouches, not the Alpha-X ones....IF you're talking the Alpha-Xi where did you get your information from, certainly not experience as they are not yet available even thru DAA in Europe....even further info on them is not available yet

Edited by race1911

Man, I have been waiting to try my Alpha-X pouches but have been delayed due to the whole COVID-19 deal. Now new ones coming out? Hopefully any improvements can be retrofitted, but I doubt it. Planned obsolescence and all that.

Man, I have been waiting to try my Alpha-X pouches but have been delayed due to the whole COVID-19 deal. Now new ones coming out? Hopefully any improvements can be retrofitted, but I doubt it. Planned obsolescence and all that.

I really don’t know how they could possibly improve upon the previous version...I am fairly new to the DAA stuff as I am primarily set up for 3-gun and they don’t have a heavy market share in the 3-gun world. But the stuff I have from DAA is damn near perfect engineering. Being an engineer it is the bane of my existence to buy something and immediately question “why didn’t they design it like this”...I don’t do that with everything I currently have from DAA. I would bet that whatever they changed from the Alpha-X to the Alpha-Xi is very minimal.

I really like the Alpha X pouches can’t really imagine how they can improve them. However looking forward to see what they did improve on them and if it will actually be worth making the switch.

• 2 months later...

My front Alpha x pouch kept loosening up on me.  I wish I could trade my alpha x in for the XI pouches. The major flaw with the alpha x is the dovetail attachment. The xi seems to have fixed  that horrible design by eliminating it. If only there was a trade in option for their poorly designed previous model.  

So...back in May, I was joking about these new pouches being worlds better just to troll. But now I actually got a few and they are definitely better than the older ones. The attachment is better, and the mags seem to come out of the pouches smoother, but I don’t know for sure if that’s because my Alpha Xs are old. I would say probably not worth buying new ones if you already have Alpha Xs, but if you have ever been super pissed about them falling off, definitely worth considering or even only changing the front pouch that gets the most use. I feel like almost everyone who has used the Alpha X has had one fall off at some point and been embarrassed. 😂

• 3 weeks later...

I just received an Xi in the mail today.  Have been using the Racer pouches to this point.  The reason I went with the Racers over the Alpha X was due to complaints of the mounting hardware breaking.  According the DAA, they've fixed that with the Xi, so I figured I'd give it a try.  I can't say how they compare to the Alpha X, but the Xi is way better than the Racers.  I just ordered a second one for my back up mag.  I figure I'll leave my third as a Racer since I rarely, if ever even go to it.  If the ball joint stays tight and none of the mounting hardware fails, then I think they're worth the price of admission.  Just having the ability to better tune the position of the mag to my natural grip/hand placement on the draw was eye opening.  I didn't realize what I had been missing.  I really hope they last.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone opted for the new XiP (polymer) pouches?  I was looking at those to keep costs down and was wondering how they compare to the aluminum ones.  I will run them with Glock 9mm mags in carry optics.

14 hours ago, Cuz said:

Has anyone opted for the new XiP (polymer) pouches?  I was looking at those to keep costs down and was wondering how they compare to the aluminum ones.  I will run them with Glock 9mm mags in carry optics.

I got mine Saturday.  I dig them.  I switched from Alpha X pouches.  Couldn't be happier.  They are back to the ball joint as the racemaster vs the annoying dovetail and they also upgraded the hardware.  Comes with all torx and 1 incl wrench can adjust the entire pouch. 

Edited by echotango

15 hours ago, Cuz said:

Are the Alpha Xi mags legal for Production and Carry Optics Divisions?

How about IDPA?

Thanks,

Cuz

Yes to production and CO. I dont think they will be for IDPA

An old thread, but Alpha X are a poor design - they were supposed to be an improvement over the Race Masters and the polymer insert was, but the mounting system was wishful thinking and was a huge step back. If you look at the DAA website, they only sell Xi and Race Master, no more Alpha X. That tells you that they quietly scraped the Alpha X design and are burying the whole fiasco with the pouches falling off (happened to me, luckily during dry fire). 

Alpha Xi is what Alpha X was supposed to be. An actual improvement. I have several Alpha X pouches that are being relegated to backup rigs and to the rear pouches. Anything in front or important is either the old Race Master (I have gazillion of those), or the new Alpha Xi. 

This situation reminds me of how the DAA Primer Pro fared - it was an interesting design, but didn't work well, so they introduced a "semi-automatic" primer filler, which is precisely what they should've done all along. Flipping primers is not a big deal, picking them up into tubes and making sure they don't flip in the process is. Paying for something that needs to be replaced or that doesn't work all that well happens all the time to the early adopters...

Edited by IVC
typos

I usually wait a while before trying something new. But, I happen to be in need of some pouches and ordered an Xi and an XiP to check out and play with. We’ll see how it works out.

• 2 weeks later...

I used my new XiP pouches this weekend. they were great. only issue i have found is that the back inserts slip out if I am aggressive on the reload. and I lost the flat spring on 2 pouches yesterday. I have to call them today and see if they will replace or if i need to buy them. Ill glue them together next time as They will only be for my mbx mags