Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SV Infinity-thinking outside the box!

falconpilot

On 5/9/2020 at 7:13 AM, dansedgli said:

An extractor that will be harder to come by when yours breaks mid match. :P

Beat me to it. Or to put it another way... something that may result in a $5K paperweight. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, 9X19mm said:

Beat me to it. Or to put it another way... something that may result in a $5K paperweight. 

Considering the hook is twice the size of a standard 1911 extractor, I’d say that part is less likely to break. And losing tension would be the cause by a $2 spring, which you could have a spare of in your bag, versus needing a spare fitted and tuned extractor on hand. My guess is that this will prove to be a non-issue but time will tell. 

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, falconpilot said:

I’ll find out in morning how it runs...new pistol with new SPV barrel, new ports, new comp and no extractor!

44143FDC-6073-403D-A026-02F0F3C2A4BD.jpeg

1492895B-F0DC-4625-B564-DA874FD71459.jpeg

70AA1EC4-2D17-4271-AB6C-851CBF974D0D.jpeg

3B2F2340-D6AB-496B-B21E-00224530D973.jpeg

39FB2888-6FF0-4F19-BC38-830C3980850E.jpeg

Nice Jim!! I shot Blakes yesterday and 9.2 of 3n38 made 1350 fps and 1300 in the old design so the new design is much faster! It was noticibly softer and dot movement was straight up and down. That is one sexy blaster! Mine will also be Black/Blue! Again congrats!

1 hour ago, Carry9shoot40 said:

Nice Jim!! I shot Blakes yesterday and 9.2 of 3n38 made 1350 fps and 1300 in the old design so the new design is much faster! It was noticibly softer and dot movement was straight up and down. That is one sexy blaster! Mine will also be Black/Blue! Again congrats!

Thanks Jonathan! Excited to have it!

1 hour ago, Silent said:

Anyone know the theory behind making the offset square popple holes like that?

this holes will seat  in the sunken part groove of the rifling .

Edited by yigal

38 minutes ago, Silverscooby27 said:

I guess, but you can achieve the same thing in the middle, just change the distance between the holes.

of coarse.

only they  know why they decided  to do this 😀 

The offset holes are designed to help the pistol raise straight up and straight down..lots of testing on where and what angles to place them...and I can attest to the fact they got it right..dot lifts straight up and down..no 2 o’clock hook..the gun shoots soft and very flat as well. I’m waiting on die’s, so I bought some of the new Eleyn38SC ammo..10 grains of VV105 ..1369 avg for 170 pf..in old SV barrel and comp it made low 1300’s...so barrel and design if very efficient while feeling softer and shooting flatter..

Thanks Ozy- shoot match with it this weekend...while I’m still getting back up from long lay off of shooting, the pistol handled beautifully, not a single malfunction thus far...goal for match was no M’s, procedural or no shoots...very first stage we shoot was lightning and thunder classifier-of course I shoot 2 NPM’s...other 6 stages were each 30-32 rounds and I made my goal..I’m finding that my shoots are stacking lot more than usual...it is super flat and soft at 170pf...really happy with it thus far..

I ordered my SV Infinity gun just last week. They're such innovators. I actually went to the factory and sat down with casey to build my gun. Wont be ready until Christmas or later, but will be worth the total wait. 

8 hours ago, Nalle2491 said:

I ordered my SV Infinity gun just last week. They're such innovators. I actually went to the factory and sat down with casey to build my gun. Wont be ready until Christmas or later, but will be worth the total wait. 

It's "only" a 6 month wait? Wow that's not bad at all.

5 hours ago, falconpilot said:

Think God...

yeah, why would i want a honcho? no popple holes, just a comp. i'll just order me a limited gun if i want the best limited gun. why order something thats semi good at a few things. I order the best and have no regrets. 

There's a good scientific explanation for the holes, regardless of if the people who made them are aware or not.  

Flow through a barrel isn't uniform.  When a popple hole causes a low pressure area to form, that low pressure area continues past the hole causing it.  If you place another hole on the same axis just a little ways in front of it, it will draw more from the lower pressure zone caused by the first hole.  The further you can deviate from that lower pressure axis, the higher pressure your popple hole will draw out of the barrel.  Thereby, having a greater effect on countering the recoil (to an extent, we don't want popple holes pointing down as an example and the further horizontal they are - the more they counter side to side forces instead of vertical forces).

The square allows the hole to act more like a wall with the gas being expelled.  A circular exit would allow fast flow up and out of the hole.  A square exit would cause more of the high pressure to act against the wall in the barrel - thereby causing the popple to act more like a compensator.  

I've been an advocate of the offset holes for quite some time.  The square - I'm not as sure about.  Depends on your intent with the gasses and durability of the materials involved. 

Edited by Whoops!

30 minutes ago, dansedgli said:

A mate has a super old infinify and its got square popple holes. 

Schumann who they licensed the barrel tech from used to offer barrels with round ports torward the chamber and square holes torward the muzzle. Not sure I buy the off center holes not inducing torque but the proof is in how the dot tracks I guess... Interesting thinking anyway.

Edited by caspian guy

16 hours ago, caspian guy said:

Schumann who they licensed the barrel tech from used to offer barrels with round ports torward the chamber and square holes torward the muzzle. Not sure I buy the off center holes not inducing torque but the proof is in how the dot tracks I guess... Interesting thinking anyway.

Wil Schumann was an actual rocket scientist so he had a very good grasp of fluid dynamics.  The Schumann Tribrid barrels have tapered round ports that were designed as nozzles, not just round holes poked in the barrel, ie.. poppel holes.  The muzzle brake expansion chambers (squareish holes) were machined into the barrel island along with the ports.

Wil did not follow the staggered port theory.

Edited by Ming the Merciless