Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning primer pockets?

Cherokeewind

There's nothing to be gained by cleaning primer pockets for pistol rounds other than just creating more work for yourself.  I've tested plenty of bullseye guns back in the day in a Rasom rest bolted to a concrete base with reloads that had tumbled brass, Bullseye powder and H&G #68 bullets, which was pretty much the standard at the time.  Rounds were low single digit SD and five shot groups were under a half inch at 25 yards.  You're not going to do any better than that no matter what you do to the brass.

I tumble them till they're clean-ish and vaguely shiny, sort them by headstamp (partly I'm looking for cracks, partly also because I'm a little OCD in that sorting-my-m&ms-by-color-before-eating-them kinda way), and put them into my 550 for another shot.

There are folks that clean their guns every time they take them out of their safe, too. *shrug* If it makes you happy and you have the time, I wouldn't tell you not to do it, but I've never heard of any measurable pistol accuracy benefits from cleaning primer pockets even for Bullseye, much less IPDA/USPSA/Steel etc competition.

• 4 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Cowguy said:

Does anyone “uniform “ the primer pockets in 45 brass to make it easier to seat the primer? I have to push pretty hard on my 650 to make sure they are in.

Are you shooting NRA precision pistol?

3 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Problem isn't the brass.  It's either your technique or machine setup.

Unless it’s some freak brass like I ran into the other day. The primer pockets were tapered at the bottom and the only way to seat one flush (and just flush) was to mash it flat. Checked that brand with the uniformer/gauge and the lower 1/3 was about .003” smaller. First time I’ve ever run into this and was only about 15 or so out of 100 but enough to make you crazy. 

Edited by Farmer
Sp

8 minutes ago, Farmer said:

Unless it’s some freak brass like I ran into the other day. The primer pockets were tapered at the bottom and the only way to seat one flush (and just flush) was to mash it flat. Checked that brand with the uniformer/gauge and the lower 1/3 was about .003” smaller. First time I’ve ever run into this and was only about 15 or so out of 100 but enough to make you crazy. 

Please name the brand so we can all be on the lookout.

9 hours ago, Sarge said:

Please name the brand so we can all be on the lookout.

A-American 

Like I said, there were a bunch that were ok but enough that really made for a head scratcher. Once I ran the uniformer through the bad ones they were ok.