Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning primer pockets?

Cherokeewind

Deprime and SS pins, Hot water, Dawn and lemi shine  in a tumbler makes your brass look like jewelry.

I do the same without the SS pins. Works great and I never have to worry about pins stuck in the primer hole.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, jc3257 said:

I do the same without the SS pins. Works great and I never have to worry about pins stuck in the primer hole.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The pins I use are .047x.269. Never had any problems with this size. Two won't fit in the flash hole and one drops through.

Yeah I don’t clean pistol primer pockets either only rifle which I use a cutter and drill motor that uniforms the depth while cutting it, leaves it looking new. I clean my brass with a Lyman vibratory using corn cob /walnut. 

As others have said, I don't do primer pockets for pistol - over 30 years.  I done test with rifle - cleaning vs not cleaning, and for me I don't do them very often.

On 5/8/2020 at 6:51 PM, Postal Bob said:

Agree, as I do for all pistol rounds.

Agreed!  No need to clean primer pockets on pistol rounds.  Clean, load and go.  No need to clean them.

• 2 weeks later...

no need for pistol rounds, unless you are shooting bullseye competition, and want to verify the ammo is as precise as possible. More often then not, ammo is more precise then you anyways.

I only clean primer pockets on my precision rifle ammo

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/10/2020 at 3:34 AM, stick said:

Agreed!  No need to clean primer pockets on pistol rounds.  Clean, load and go.  No need to clean them.

I have to agree with this, in 20 yrs of loading I've never had any issue with primer pockets on a pistol round that caused a problem. That includes all calibers 9mm through 45acp in semi auto, and .38spec. through .445 super mag in revolvers. To be honest even in rifle .223 I never bothered for years doing any work on them. I would put more time into my match ammo but for plinking, range and doggin ammo I never bothered and never had a problem. Now with wet tumblers, they take care of it for you if you deprime first. I will also vouch for Extreme Tumblers Rebel 17 Ammo Reloading Tumblers, they are high quality well built tumblers. I have run mine for years zero issues and they are built like a tank. 

On 5/22/2020 at 5:05 PM, 99mpower said:

no need for pistol rounds, unless you are shooting bullseye competition, and want to verify the ammo is as precise as possible. More often then not, ammo is more precise then you anyways.

I only clean primer pockets on my precision rifle ammo

And even in Bullseye, it'd only be for the slowfire, which is typically one-third of the overall competition.

And there, I'd think that you'd improve your overall match scores more by dryfire practice than spending that same amount of time cleaning primer pockets.

18 hours ago, Igloodude said:

And even in Bullseye, it'd only be for the slowfire, which is typically one-third of the overall competition.

And there, I'd think that you'd improve your overall match scores more by dryfire practice than spending that same amount of time cleaning primer pockets.

absolutely agree.. more dryfire, less trying to make every round "perfect"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

For pistols on a progressive press I never Ever have paused to clean them…..and I mean on 45acp cases you can Hardly read the head stamp !!! 

Now for my 22-250 that hits your thumbnail at 200yds Yes I Do!   And All the other Anal steps in case prep…

IF you have a concern with primer seating depth then you should indeed clean.    Get a drill!!

H

On 10/14/2021 at 1:38 AM, K-Tex said:

Do like Jerry M by using a cement mixer🤣

Works great.  I run about 2500 pcs at a time.  Corn cob + Lucas polish for an hour or two and they come out looking like new.

IMG_0883.thumb.jpg.0a5b457df15e136365a7b80a068137b4.jpg IMG_0885.thumb.jpg.cf07c64a5735162f07bd59a836505c30.jpg