Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Shadow 2 Orange vs AO1-LD

9X19mm

Hi all... Long time reader, first time poster...

I recently purchased a CZ Shadow 2 Orange and absolutely love it. Zero issues. It is replacing my Shadow 2 Blue with some CGW mods. Now... I also have been looking at and have had a chance to handle (not fire) the A01-LD at my LGS. I am seriously considering adding an A01-LD to the stable, but have read here and elsewhere, some issues with the CZC Bull Barrels locking up and/or slide fitment causing some issues. 

So is the A01-LD "different" enough to justify owning both it and the Shadow 2 Orange together? Also, what is everyone's respective opinion on the Bull Barrel design and execution from the CZ Custom Shop in Mesa, AZ? Some prefer a bushing as they feel it gives a tighter barrel fit and can be easily replaced down the road... while others feel the Bull Barrell gives a tighter fit, but then you may have both a barrel and slide to replace. Reliability is very important to me. This would be used for IPSC and USPSA Production class.

I've also been eyeing the new Dan Wesson DWX as an option as well... but they aren't out yet I think. I know this is a completely different animal... but it looks great. 

Thanks in advance for feedback! 😎

Edited by 9X19mm

I too have the CZ S2 and the S2 Orange, the only difference is the barrel bushing and fancy orange grip.  I had Cajun do some work on my slide for my regular S2 and I had them do the X10 bushing, groupings are a lot tighter.  I had a chance to check out the A01-LD at my LGS, wasn't impressed by it, yes it was nice and all but "EXTREMELY" heavy to the point as being as heave as an open gun.  

While nice and impressive I will stick with my S2 & S2 Orange for USPSA Carry Optics division, currently, the S2 Orange is getting machined for an optic.  While the bull barrel is a nice addition it truly doesn't serve a real purpose to serve in USPSA because the S2 and S2 Orange do extremely well, of course without the chunky weight.  At the end of the day its not the fireram platfrom but the shooter behind that platform.  You can't buy performance, performance comes from within!   

1 hour ago, chgofirefighter said:

I too have the CZ S2 and the S2 Orange, the only difference is the barrel bushing and fancy orange grip.  I had Cajun do some work on my slide for my regular S2 and I had them do the X10 bushing, groupings are a lot tighter.  I had a chance to check out the A01-LD at my LGS, wasn't impressed by it, yes it was nice and all but "EXTREMELY" heavy to the point as being as heave as an open gun.  

While nice and impressive I will stick with my S2 & S2 Orange for USPSA Carry Optics division, currently, the S2 Orange is getting machined for an optic.  While the bull barrel is a nice addition it truly doesn't serve a real purpose to serve in USPSA because the S2 and S2 Orange do extremely well, of course without the chunky weight.  At the end of the day its not the fireram platfrom but the shooter behind that platform.  You can't buy performance, performance comes from within!   

Thanks for the feedback. The A01-LD to me almost seemed very industrial and somewhat unfinished looking/feeling compared to the Shadow 2 in-hand. Hard to put in to words. Completely agree with you on the $$$ gear =/=  great performance. Practice, practice, practice. 

13 hours ago, 9X19mm said:

Thanks for the feedback. The A01-LD to me almost seemed very industrial and somewhat unfinished looking/feeling compared to the Shadow 2 in-hand. Hard to put in to words. Completely agree with you on the $$$ gear =/=  great performance. Practice, practice, practice. 

The A01-LD is nice indeed but IMO not worht the investment...  

23 hours ago, chgofirefighter said:

Performance definitely comes from within and is also elevated with good or great gear and equipment. Ive never seen anyone win a division or get an overall win using a highpoint pistol..

21 hours ago, CZGeoege said:

Performance definitely comes from within and is also elevated with good or great gear and equipment. Ive never seen anyone win a division or get an overall win using a highpoint pistol..

Most definitely that good equipment makes a difference but that's not the whole equation.  Skills, proper fundamentals, practice, repetition over and over again, good footwork, knowing how to properly stage plan, doing proper and fast magazine exchanges, and the list goes on....  At the end of the day, "it's the shooter" that makes "ALL" of the difference and the firearm platform is a fraction of the total equation!  :) You can't buy performance, it's just that simple...

To the OP: What is it about the S2 orange that you found so much better than your s2Blue with CGW work?  Personally, I love my S2s - both have CGW bushings -  and I also love my TSO in 40 which I know, like the S2 Orange, is hand-fitted, etc.  Thanks for any insight.

9 hours ago, lfine said:

To the OP: What is it about the S2 orange that you found so much better than your s2Blue with CGW work?  Personally, I love my S2s - both have CGW bushings -  and I also love my TSO in 40 which I know, like the S2 Orange, is hand-fitted, etc.  Thanks for any insight.

The slide to frame and barrel fit are tighter in the S2O. Smoother racking. Just tighter tolerances all around. Maybe a little softer to shoot. I like the TSO... but need DA/SA for competition.  

2 hours ago, lfine said:

Shoot. This conversation may cost me $. Sounds like another CZ I just can't be without! 

Tell me about it. I’ve been trying to avoid just getting a $5K custom built gun... but if I keep buying these $2K semi-customs... I’ll go over that $5K mark fast. Decisions, decisions. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have been debating in my head about getting one one of these as well. Not so much to compete with as I love my 1911s but just to have and shoot for fun. Luckily I am about 20 minutes from CZC so I swung by there to take a look. I played with the A01 LD, AO1 SD, and the A01 Compact. I loved the LD the most followed by the Compact. I didn't find the LD too heavy. Stuart was very helpful and told me if I wanted it SAO they could do that too. Man, they are nice guns. I will probably will end up with a LD. JFSAG

I shot my first USPSA match last weekend with the A01ld.  The weight did not any negative way effect my shooting.  It is extremely stable, and second shots are extremely quick and effortless.  I really like the S2s and ran them since basically they came out, but the A01ld is made so much better.  Everyone that has shot it loved it. 

My gf has an A01LD as does a friend of mine, I've shot them both a fair bit, but much prefer my Shadow 2s over the A01LD, especially my Orange S2. Were I still shooting the Canadian Shadowmates the A01LD might hold some interest for me, maybe. I do like the heavy barrel and wish CZ would do that at some point in the S2, but the rest of the styling of the gun doesn't do it for me. I know Angus will kick me the nuts the next time he sees me for saying that too. But comparing performance for IPSC or Steel Challenge, I just don't see any gain with the A01LD and the weight actually might be a negative. Although I remember going from a Beretta Elite II to a Tanfoglio Stock II and how much the weight made me suffer for a few matches until I got used to it, maybe I'd get used to the A01LD too. Since a great deal of my purchase decsion is based on looks after performance the S2 series wins for me. 

2 hours ago, slavex said:

but the rest of the styling of the gun doesn't do it for me. ...Since a great deal of my purchase decsion is based on looks after performance the S2 series wins for me. 

LOL ...this is hilarious because I feel the same way! From an aesthetics point of view the A01 trigger-guard just looks so wrong to me... the pistol looks all big and tough, with squared-off angles and such, then with a little nut sack hanging off it hahahaha... The former Ducati-owner in me won't go performance without the looks, even though that matters about as much as how the thing tastes lol.

5 hours ago, slavex said:

rest of the styling of the gun doesn't do it for me. I know Angus will kick me the nuts the next time he sees me for saying that too. 

2 hours ago, ck1 said:

LOL ...this is hilarious because I feel the same way! 

Whoever is ready is protected. 🙉 :o 

מגן אשכים לנשים וגברים

On 5/8/2020 at 7:31 PM, CZGeoege said:

Reductio ad absurdum doesn't really get the point across.

My S2 is a faster pointing and seemingly more dynamic gun than my A01LD due to the additional weight at the muzzle. But the A01LD soaks up the recoil like no other production gun I’ve ever shot and it’s inherent accuracy is second to none.  I’ve made the A01LD my primary production gun and the S2 is now my backup. The characteristics of the A01LD have won me over (the trigger is outstanding - mainly because of the directly pinned sear I think).

All that being said, one thing to keep in mind: The A01LD has specific parts that are only available through CZC. Not all parts from CZ 75 pattern guns will work on the A01LD.  If you’re like me, and don’t reside in the US, getting replacement parts can be a challenge (and expensive). My A01LD is out of commission at the moment due to the need for a trigger bar lifter spring, so for now, it’s back to my S2 for Production.

The A01LD is not for everyone, but it is an amazing piece of craftsmanship and engineering in its own right.