Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A High Capacity CO Competition Pistol?

BobRockefeller

I am interested in picking a high capacity (17 or more rounds), 9mm, pistol well suited for Carry Optic Division competition in USPSA and IDPA. In this pursuit, I have narrowed my choices to the M&P 5" C.O.R.E. (1.0 and/or 2.0) or the SIG P320 X5 Legion. Others, for various reasons, have been ruled out.

Knowing that this is a SIG branch of the forum, I imagine there there will be some degree of bias in the responses. I get that. But I would appreciate less of "the other gun sucks" and "this gun is the best" help and more of the objective "this gun is better because of X and Y."

So, what advice do you guys, preferably with experience on both platforms, have?

P.S. I've cross-posted this in the S&W section.

I’ve had both.  I use the X5 because it fits my hands better.  Ultimately went with the Legion and using the original X5 as a backup.  I had no complaints about the CORE (1st gen).  Mine ran well.  I did put an Apex trigger and barrel in the M&P.   

On 5/7/2020 at 9:23 AM, B585 said:

I’ve had both.  I use the X5 because it fits my hands better.  Ultimately went with the Legion and using the original X5 as a backup.  I had no complaints about the CORE (1st gen).  Mine ran well.  I did put an Apex trigger and barrel in the M&P.   

Did you find the weight difference to be an important factor? Or did it just come down to hand fit/pointability question?

An Apex trigger is a must, in my view, for the M&Ps. I don't like the pivoting trigger nor the grit, stacking, and mush of the stock trigger.

Edited by BobRockefeller

Weight is nice if you get lazy with your grip.  Helps mitigate the looser grip.

If I grip my plastic and txg grip right not much difference.

If I let up the weight helps

I’ve got the M&P, Legion and the X5.  The Smith trigger was awful. It now has an Apex trigger which is awesome.  I like the X5 and Legion way better than the M&P.  They fit my hand better.  I have small hands and thought the Smith would be a good fit but it seems too narrow for me.
The Legion is relatively new and doesn’t have many rounds through it but my X5 is north of 12000 and it hasn’t skipped a beat. 

3 hours ago, rowdyb said:

I prefer working on a x5 vs the core. I prefer the direct mount on the sig to the snw. 

That seems to be a good thing. I’m a little surprised to measure that surface of a CORE optic adapter plate is deeper into the slide than the bottom of the X5 Legion’s cut!

3 hours ago, rowdyb said:

I prefer working on a x5 vs the core. I prefer the direct mount on the sig to the snw. 

Fully agree. I’d switch to the SIG P-series, but I’ll likely never own another M&P. Just a preference thing, and having an M&P 9L for eight years, it’s a well-informed preference.

52 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Fully agree. I’d switch to the SIG P-series, but I’ll likely never own another M&P. Just a preference thing, and having an M&P 9L for eight years, it’s a well-informed preference.

That’s a long time to be shooting a gun you don’t like!

13 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

Any particular reason why you're not considering the CZ P-10F OR?

It seems to have less aftermarket support. And I’m not fond of it’s looks. But I would imagine it’s a pistol in the same league as the SIG and M&P.

1 minute ago, BobRockefeller said:

It seems to have less aftermarket support. And I’m not fond of it’s looks. But I would imagine it’s a pistol in the same league as the SIG and M&P.

I can't help you in the looks department.  But it has all the aftermarket support it needs, as very little of it needs improvement.

Glock striker springs and flat wire recoil springs work just fine in them too.

On 5/7/2020 at 9:27 AM, BobRockefeller said:

Did you find the weight difference to be an important factor? Or did it just come down to hand fit/paintability question?

An Apex trigger is a must, in my view, for the M&Ps. I don't like the pivoting trigger nor the grit, stacking, and mush of the stock trigger.

I can’t make a direct comparison between the CORE and X5 because I shot the CORE when I first started USPSA and I was shooting the cheap 115 gn FMJ.  I sold it because I went to Limited.  I then went to CO and that’s when I first tried the X5.  Can I tell a difference between the standard X5 and the Legion?  Yes.  Nothing dramatic but there is less recoil.  Does it result in better match results?  Possibly, but most likely very minimal when shooting 125 gn at 135ish power factor ammo.

I know most USPSA competitors don’t shoot the M&P much anymore but at least IMHO the best gun is the one that allows you to get a consistent “USPSA” grip (I.e. high support hand grip with plenty of real estate for the support hand palm).  My results were the accuracy and reliability were very similar as I had them setup.

DISCLAIMER:  I am not very sensitive to “good” or “bad” triggers.  As long as the weight is below 4-5 lbs for USPSA style shooting, creep and grit don’t make much difference to me because 90% of the time me I am pulling the trigger at at least 80% of my max speed.  To me, all striker triggers are only OK.  DA/SA (CZ/Tanfo) are much nicer triggers (except the first shot).  

Shooting the M&P and X5 Legion side-by-side I really notice the bulk of the SIG. Yes, it weighs more, but it is also thicker in almost every dimension.

The grip of the Legion seems squarer and the M&P more tapered. Combined with the lower weight, the M&P feels positively svelte next to the Legion.