Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Compact L (Help Needed)

eric90503

Reaching out to our shooting community for some advice.  It's a shame it couldn't be easier but I am at a loss on what to do. This is just a little backstory of what I've dealt with in the past.  Just trying to figure this out on my own at this point.

I've been dealing with a lemon of a pistol I've purchased back in 2014 from *********.  I was sold a Compact L and have had nothing but problems from the get go.  I would get stovepipes, FTF, FTE, 
etc.  This is with my 147 powderpuff loads, factory WWB 115's, Federal 124g HST loads, everything.  I wanted to rule out it was not the ammo.  However, I figured I'd wait and see what ********* would say.

Sent in the 1st time in 2015 and remarked what I had experienced.  Pistol came back with no notes and was told, works fine when I called to inquire.

When I got it back I took it out to run it. It was exhibiting all the same issues I was having before. Call ********* again and they had me send it back a 2nd time in 2016, on my own dime, again.  Since it was going back again I opted to pay for a short reset work to be done while it was there.

Got the pistol back and realized that the short reset felt stock, just like how I sent it.  I called to inquire to see if I was just crazy, but was confirmed by ****** that they forgot to do it. So back again it goes the 3rd time...  It is now 2017.

I get the pistol back and Short reset is really in this time.  Feels great, but still has FTF and most annoying is it's new gremlin, failure to ignite.  I call ********* again, and inquire.  I noticed on my past invoices I was paying for some parts twice.  I don't mind spending money on quality but when I'm wasting it for no reason that makes me a bit perturbed.  I now have (x3) extended firing pins along with some extra springs that was supposedly part of the initial custom ********* Compact L job.

At this point I am utterly disappointed with this pistol as I've dumped easily over a grand into it.  Not to mention time and the mandatory Fedex overnight shipping costs required to send the pistol back to them, repeatedly.  Each time I just shake my head in disbelief.  At one point I wanted to return the pistol.  But realizing it's a firearm and can get tricky with CA and DOJ.  Having worked DoD/Gov in the past.  I can just see that return turning into another headache.  I can understand a novice and perhaps a new shooter, that this may be seen as user error, as 9-out-of-10 times, it's user error. But the fact is this is my 5th pistol that I have purchased from ********* and they have ALL worked as they should.  ...Just not this one. That being said, I average a round count of 15-20k rounds a year, just in pistols.  This is nowhere near competitive levels, but enough to know when a pistol is hiccuping.  Completely turned off by this whole ordeal as it's been 3yrs of troubleshooting and nothing accomplished. I shelf the pistol as I am exhausted.

2019 comes around and I'm finally getting tired of moving the ********* Compact L around in my safe. 

What do you guys think?  I'm at a loss right now on what to do.  At this point I am on my own.  All three of my extended firing pins measure the same length.  I'm assuming hammer spring or machining depth of the firing pin channel?

0.JPG.95612fbf9bec93124e080f9ee4a6bfe2.JPG
Edited by eric90503
No mentioning of manufacturer or CS

My buddy spent close over $2k on an AOD pistol from them and first range trip something internal broke and they would not warranty it. He had to call and raise a storm to get it fixed. And he works for an ffl so he has gunsmiths that can fix it but that wasnt the point.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Not that my 2 cents has much value, but I will give it to you anyway 😊

Guns are mechanical devises, nothing in them is magical. With the amount of shooting that you stated you do, it appears to me that you should be more than familiar with the internal workings of your fire arms. If you have a failure to feed, have you looked at the breach face, the guide ramp, any related mag parts, the chamber and any other related components? Then same for the FTE, there are only a few functioning components.

Firearms aren’t like working on cars, these guns have like 10 or 12 main parts and then some springs and pins.

If you are not competent enough, then yes absolutely have a smith work on your guns. But understand the cost, smiths are not magicians, for them to spend time fixing your issue, what hourly rate and amount of time are you willing to spend to have it right. Maybe you need to pay them to shoot a few hundred rounds so that they can experience the problem. Again, no magic, and hour at $100 bucks an hour and $60 bucks of ammo. Then cost of repairs. Time on the bench is not free, but that is often what people expect.

For me, I do everything my self outside of actual machine work, as I don’t have a mill. I feel that knowledge is power and the time I have spent to learn my firearms keeps me on the range more and that is where I want to be.     

Sorry OP, but forum rules prohibit posting about customer service issues.

Copies from the forum guidelines.....

Hate Rants
Rants involving shooters, firearms, or shooting related manufacturers, such as but not limited to - IPSC, IDPA, USPSA, Colt, Brownell's, Dillon, or Match Staff - are NOT PERMITTED. Brian's Forums is not the place to resolve customer service issues or disputes you may have with a manufacturer, dealer, gunsmith, or individual.

2 hours ago, Andy9 said:

Not that my 2 cents has much value, but I will give it to you anyway 😊

Guns are mechanical devises, nothing in them is magical. With the amount of shooting that you stated you do, it appears to me that you should be more than familiar with the internal workings of your fire arms. If you have a failure to feed, have you looked at the breach face, the guide ramp, any related mag parts, the chamber and any other related components? Then same for the FTE, there are only a few functioning components.

Firearms aren’t like working on cars, these guns have like 10 or 12 main parts and then some springs and pins.

If you are not competent enough, then yes absolutely have a smith work on your guns. But understand the cost, smiths are not magicians, for them to spend time fixing your issue, what hourly rate and amount of time are you willing to spend to have it right. Maybe you need to pay them to shoot a few hundred rounds so that they can experience the problem. Again, no magic, and hour at $100 bucks an hour and $60 bucks of ammo. Then cost of repairs. Time on the bench is not free, but that is often what people expect.

For me, I do everything my self outside of actual machine work, as I don’t have a mill. I feel that knowledge is power and the time I have spent to learn my firearms keeps me on the range more and that is where I want to be.     

Totally agree with you Andy, 100%.  It's just when you buy something new and it fails right out of the box breaking out any tools or files was not the first thing that came to mind. This was also not to give ammo to mfg to void any warranties.  I'm sure you can agree to that regarding voiding warrenties.  I understand your analogy of a car, but if I pulled off the showroom floor and it dies down halfway down the block, I can assure you I'm not going to bust out my scanner and try to diagnose myself.  What I was trying to get at was the principal of things.  

I do work on mechanical things, Arriflex motion picture cameras for many years. Working 13-18 hrs a day, trying to learn every mechanical part is the last thing I want to do on my time off. I'd rather shoot a match or practice : )   It's easier for me to pay for something tuned and just shoot.  Just not enough time in the day.  Looks like I have no choice but to get more intimate with this pistol, especially with this mandatory extra time on my hands, ha!.  

Thanks for your words of encouragement. Going to try to find a P01 to measure tolerances now.