Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon powder check system vs DAA magnetic powder check?

Had the DAA magnetic powder check and ended up going back to the Dillon.

For whatever reason, the foot of the DAA powder check caused a huge amount of powder splash when it went into the case and sucked a huge amount of powder out of the case when it came came out of the case.  I thought it might have been static on the foot, but even after I rubbed it with a dryer sheet, the problem persisted.

I thought that the foot may have been too large in diameter and was forcing air out of the case on the way in and creating a vacuum on the way out, so I sanded down the foot down a bit. But the problem continued just as badly as before.

I gave up and got rid of it.

3 hours ago, Hooked said:

Had the DAA magnetic powder check and ended up going back to the Dillon.

For whatever reason, the foot of the DAA powder check caused a huge amount of powder splash when it went into the case and sucked a huge amount of powder out of the case when it came came out of the case.  I thought it might have been static on the foot, but even after I rubbed it with a dryer sheet, the problem persisted.

I thought that the foot may have been too large in diameter and was forcing air out of the case on the way in and creating a vacuum on the way out, so I sanded down the foot down a bit. But the problem continued just as badly as before.

I gave up and got rid of it.

Thanks for the info, whats so different with the Dillon one?  My friend has the DAA and he cleaned it with pure alcohol and it help minimized the powder splash.  Does the Dillon powder check work different? 

The Dillon powder check has a brass foot and I haven't had any issues with powder splash at all. It is not as sensitive as the DAA, but it catches double charges and no charges which is all I really need it to do. 

I found the Dillon to be easier to set up as well. 

I had the Dillon and the DAA I removed them both
As soon as there is contact with the powder there is splashing and after 1/4 hour of use there is powder full in the machine.
On all the videos that I watched it is the same for the machines which are equipped with it.
I dream of a powder check system without contact with the powder🤩

11 hours ago, cool said:
I had the Dillon and the DAA I removed them both
As soon as there is contact with the powder there is splashing and after 1/4 hour of use there is powder full in the machine.
On all the videos that I watched it is the same for the machines which are equipped with it.
I dream of a powder check system without contact with the powder🤩

Wow, both of them? 

22 hours ago, Hooked said:

The Dillon powder check has a brass foot and I haven't had any issues with powder splash at all. It is not as sensitive as the DAA, but it catches double charges and no charges which is all I really need it to do. 

I found the Dillon to be easier to set up as well. 

I'm intrigued about the Dillon but I don't like that blue box bouncing up and down.  Seems odd to me

If you have an Autodrive, I highly recommend the Mark7 powder check. It is way easier to setup than the Dillon (and it doesn’t start to wear out like the Dillon parts). But as others have said, it contacts the powder so there is spillage. Sigh....