Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Posted (edited)

I'm kind of new to the coated bullets scene. I mostly shoot jacketed or plated. So I was wondering how fast do you push a coated bullet like these 125 grain 9 mm / 38 Super.

I ask this because I'm using 4.5 green dot. And that's giving me a velocity of about 1100 feet per second with almost no recoil. But that don't seem to be pushing the slide back quite far enough on my CZ 75 sp-01 Phantom for if the Go 100% in the battery. It don't happen every time but it happens about once or twice every mag with these loads in this bullet

20200504_145332-1.jpg

Edited by usmc1974

Any chance it could be oal related? Did these plunk and spin test ok? I just had my leade opened up on my SP-01, it'll take anything I load at the moment, but have only loaded MG Gold HP and 124gr RN in coated...

Little confused by your post.  You say it's not pushing the slide "back" quite far enough to go 100% into battery.  I suspect you meant you think the slide isn't returning "forward" far enough to go into battery every time.  If so, as other have said, make sure you don't have marginally too long of an OAL.  It does look long in the photo.  If you're comfortable with OAL then look at your ejection pattern.   If you're throwing cases more than a few feet away from the gun then you can probably get away with a stronger recoil spring to give a more positive return to battery.  

The COAL is 1.120- 1.124. The crimp is .378. They run in my Beretta 92 just fine. 

What I mean is when I put the magazine in the pistol, and pull the slide all the way back it goes completely in the battery,  and it does this most of the time while I'm shooting it.

It runs fine on my 125 grain jacketed hollow-point and 6 grains of power pistol, rounds. I thought maybe it was just this Style of bullet.

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, usmc1974 said:

The COAL is 1.120- 1.124. The crimp is .378. They run in my Beretta 92 just fine. 

What I mean is when I put the magazine in the pistol, and pull the slide all the way back it goes completely in the battery,  and it does this most of the time while I'm shooting it.

It runs fine on my 125 grain jacketed hollow-point and 6 grains of power pistol, rounds. I thought maybe it was just this Style of bullet.

I've had to back my MG HPs down to 1.080" to plunk and spin free in my CZ before having it throated. I can now run out to 1.135" if I want. I would guess too long. Plunk and spin the 1.124" if it don't fall out or spin, it's too long... CZs are known for having a short leade/freebore. I thought I was going crazy.. coming from Glocks that you could run as long as the mag would allow. I would bet push testing would give you the info you need... Do both the CZ and Beretta barrels, you might be surprised at the difference.

Edited by two shoes

Run a depth gauge on my Beretta chamber and it was like .675 and I checked your chamber depth on my CZ sp-01 it was .636 so you think it needs reamed then? 

Eather ream the thought or SHORTEN the overall length to say 1.08

(that length is using your measurements) short thoughts are common in CZs

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, CZ85Combat said:

Your rounds look like the OAL is too long. What is your OAL? Did you do the push teat with that bullet in your barrel?

15 hours ago, mvmojo said:

If so, as other have said, make sure you don't have marginally too long of an OAL.

14 hours ago, AHI said:

length is to long for your CZ.

3 hours ago, AHI said:

Eather ream the thought or SHORTEN the overall length to say 1.08

(that length is using your measurements) short thoughts are common in CZs

OP, do you see a pattern? Stop taking useless measurements and shorten the round until it plunks in the CZ's barrel.

Edited by 4n2t0
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, 4n2t0 said:

OP, do you see a pattern? Stop taking useless measurements and shorten the round until it plunks in the CZ's barrel.

This, just had this problem with my CZ SP01. Normally run my JHP, FMJ, & plated .355 at 1.12.  Ran a test batch with some 124gr .356 coated RN rounds @ 1.12 - 1.125OAL. Plunk tested them in my JP & Taccom PCC barrels and were fine. Did not do a plunk test in my CZ. Took them to the range and they ran fine in the PCC's, but about 10% would not chamber in the CZ. Had to force several out. Rest shot fine. So must have been right at the max OAL with a few over.  Reset my OAL @ 1.11 and they all plunk tested in the CZ & shot/ejected fine.  

Moral of the story is plunk test in all barrels.

gerritm

Edited by gerritm
11 minutes ago, two shoes said:

@MemphisMechanic throated both of mine and I am super happy with them. Most gunsmiths should be able to do this though.

I sent him a message, to see if he can take care of this for me. Thanks

26 minutes ago, usmc1974 said:

I sent him a message, to see if he can take care of this for me. Thanks

We’ll get you squared away.

A gun like an SP-01 with a non-hardened barrel... nearly any shop or gunsmith can ream. But I’m always more than happy to help Enos guys out.

Posted (edited)

Memphis mechanic is going to take care of it.  barrel is on it's way to him.

Edited by usmc1974

I reamed two barrels and then quit. I don't shoot major so loading as long as possible really isn't an issue. Since I want my 9 MM loads to run in all my guns (I have more than a few 9MMs) These days when I develop a load I use the most restrictive barrel I have. Depending on the bullet the OAL ranges from 1.08 to 1.15. I then Chrono to get the velocity which will make, at minimum 130, PF in my Tanfoglio S2.

usmc1974, with all your reloading experience I'm sure you "plunk test" all your developmental loads before taking them to the range? even after reaming your barrel it still needs to be done.

Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2020 at 4:00 PM, usmc1974 said:

I'm kind of new to the coated bullets scene. I mostly shoot jacketed or plated. So I was wondering how fast do you push a coated bullet like these 125 grain 9 mm / 38 Super.

I ask this because I'm using 4.5 green dot. And that's giving me a velocity of about 1100 feet per second with almost no recoil. But that don't seem to be pushing the slide back quite far enough on my CZ 75 sp-01 Phantom for if the Go 100% in the battery. It don't happen every time but it happens about once or twice every mag with these loads in this bullet

20200504_145332-1.jpg

I have pushed 95 grain coated cast to a little over 1600 FPS with no issues. Of course YMMV.

Edited by igolfat8