Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M-lok vs Threaded Holes?

mgkrs

A lot has already been said about m-lok vs keymod, and it seems like m-lok has won the battle. But what was wrong with just using screws and threaded holes? My older Midwest industries handguard had them and seemed to work well enough to attach picatinny rails. Sure, there'd need to be a standard spacing and thread pitch though. 

I have a few handguards with the threaded holes (wilson combat), and like them for what they are, however I don't add a ton to them.  I can see the upside being reliability - though m-lok is supposedly pretty amazing I feel pretty confident in a screw or two torqued and loc-tited in. The downside is accessories are limited and it adds a bit of bulk to add a rail then a rail mounted accessory rather than just that same m-lok mounted accessory.  

I "think" that theoretically you can make a lighter rail with m-lok, or at least thinner, as there doesn't need to be enough aluminum anywhere to thread, this is no doubt cheaper for manufacturers on a raw material front as well as labor to cnc m-lok slots rather than make threaded holes. 

I would assume mlok would be lighter just based on the appearance of less material to allow for the slots. I would also think a screw in version would either be really thick to allow for threads or need extra material at each hole, maybe a nut welded inside.

Coming from using the quad rail handguards in the Army, anything is really better than that.

• 2 weeks later...

Yankee hill machine made such a hand guard too. Came with rail sections that screwed on in many locations. I hated them. Screws easy to loose. The beauty of M-Lock and Key-mod is the accessories that have the mount and do not need a piece of rail, but still give you a rail option if needed. The need to use accessories that must attach to an additional rail section is what's wrong with the screw on type.