Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Texan


TX_Roman
 Share

Recommended Posts

There is no gun that will never malfunction, no matter what the intrawebs say:-)  That said a Glock, XDM, Walther, M&P, Canick, SIG or some other plastic fantastic will be about as reliable as it gets and should fit in your budget.  With what is out there today, I would probably lean towards the Sig legion, but any of the others would be good too.  I would also get the longer barrel version of any of the guns listed  Glock 34, xdm 5.25, etc and make sure what you are looking at is on the production list before you spend your money

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any of those guns should be just fine.  You will probably want to do trigger work on any of them eventually so don't forget  to figure that into the cost later.  Also I am pretty sure that the 92FS front sight is part of the slide and not changeable, so if you go beretta you might want to consider one of the variants with a dovetailed in front sight.  Most people in USPSA find they prefer fiber optic front sights and with the 92 fs that can't happen without some major effort. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, TX_Roman said:

I'm looking to compete in the production division in USPSA. I'm not looking for anything too fancy. I just want to know that the gun will never malfunction as long as I properly maintain the firearm. 

 

9 hours ago, RJH said:

There is no gun that will never malfunction, no matter what the intrawebs say:-)  That said a Glock, XDM, Walther, M&P, Canick, SIG or some other plastic fantastic will be about as reliable as it gets and should fit in your budget.  With what is out there today, I would probably lean towards the Sig legion, but any of the others would be good too.  I would also get the longer barrel version of any of the guns listed  Glock 34, xdm 5.25, etc and make sure what you are looking at is on the production list before you spend your money

A stock Ruger GP100 is pretty bulletproof...and legal in Production.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, GrumpyOne said:

 

A stock Ruger GP100 is pretty bulletproof...and legal in Production.

 

 

No, just NO.

 

OP, don't get a revolver, unless you want to beat yourself in the head with at about stage 2.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RJH said:

 

 

No, just NO.

 

OP, don't get a revolver, unless you want to beat yourself in the head with at about stage 2.  

Hey, he wanted a platform that was bulletproof...after shooting the Ruger for a few matches, he'll gladly put up with a few malfunctions every once in a while.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

G34 is the place to start for minimum frustration.....

100% in agreement. If I still shot Production I would have stuck to a Glock 34. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Sarge said:

100% in agreement. If I still shot Production I would have stuck to a Glock 34. 

I've shot a couple a glocks I'm not exactly sure which model. But I didn't like the trigger or the way it felt in my hand. Also one had bad sights and I had to aim really low to hit the middle of the target. They were my father's glocks which were a little older. They weren't the most recent models. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RJH said:

Any of those guns should be just fine.  You will probably want to do trigger work on any of them eventually so don't forget  to figure that into the cost later.  Also I am pretty sure that the 92FS front sight is part of the slide and not changeable, so if you go beretta you might want to consider one of the variants with a dovetailed in front sight.  Most people in USPSA find they prefer fiber optic front sights and with the 92 fs that can't happen without some major effort. 

Do you know which Beretta models have dovetailed front sights?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TX_Roman said:

Do you know which Beretta models have dovetailed front sights?

I am not positive on all of them, the 92a1 does. Maybe the m9a1. You might look into the 92x line as well. M9a3 does, but it might max your budget.  

 

You might try out a gen 4 glock before you decide against them, i like them considerably better than the previous models.  Triggers will never be as good as the other options, but mags, holsters etc are more widely available and more options than any other guns out there.  Definitely worth looking into if you are left handed 

 

 

Edited by RJH
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, RJH said:

I am not positive on all of them, the 92a1 does. Maybe the m9a1. You might look into the 92x line as well. M9a3 does, but it might max your budget.  

 

 

I've looked into the 92X line. I think I would like it a lot I just haven't been able to go out and shoot any of them yet. I've just been been looking online and talking to some people I know who have experience with the pistols. 

 

Also I haven't decided against glocks I was just sharing my limited personal experiences with glocks.

Edited by TX_Roman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

make sure those people are USPSA shooters, lots of tactical timmys that talk a good talk, but really dont know squat.
Just my opinion, but It sounds like you are fairly new to handguns, Id really suggest you stick to some of the more common platforms. Basically a mainstream striker fired gun mentioned above.  Probably find some used setups.
Basic drop in trigger kit in a 5" + XDM, M&P, or Glock, or Sig will have you up and running.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Joe4d said:

make sure those people are USPSA shooters, lots of tactical timmys that talk a good talk, but really dont know squat.
Just my opinion, but It sounds like you are fairly new to handguns, Id really suggest you stick to some of the more common platforms. Basically a mainstream striker fired gun mentioned above.  Probably find some used setups.
Basic drop in trigger kit in a 5" + XDM, M&P, or Glock, or Sig will have you up and running.   

I am very new to hand guns. My uncle who competes very often in USPS. He recommends hammer fired pistols. He doesn't think the first shot being double action should intimidate newer shooters as much it does I'm not sure though I've only shot striker fired pistols. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The reason I listed the G34 is that even at retail, they aren't too expensive and it will be easy to sell if you end up not liking it or the sport.  Buy the one with the cheap glock sights (AKA dove tail protectors) and buy some Dawsons or something similar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another benefit to the Glock over others is cheap mags! Plenty of aftermarket parts that can make the trigger and sights better than factory.

Another option is find a 2nd hand CZ Shadow II or SP-01 shadow. I picked one up for $850 recently and it’s like new.... loving the extra weight and balance.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Op,

 

Others have already said this - my view would be get a G34 or a CZ shadow 2. 

 

- Glock 34 - AKA plastic fantastic... cheap, easy to maintain, lots of "how to" video's, parts a plenty etc and you can always become a member of the GSSF and do the armorers course... good way to improve your learning. You mentioned you were not a fan of Glock triggers, I ended up putting in a Vanek custom trigger in mine (think it was the GM??) and swapped out the sights, still not a 1911 trigger but good enough for competition. I have put 1,000s of rounds through my G34 and never had an issue- its like a Toyota! Word of warning, once you add sights, trigger jobs etc, the price can get up there!! 

 

- CZ Shadow 2 - I loved the SP-01 - better out the box than a Glock (just my opinion) but will blow your budget. If you can get the funds, based on the SP-01 it might be hard to beat. Whenever I shot my friends Shadows I was always envious. Shot really well and it felt like all the top production shooters at the time had shadows 

 

- G17 - Honorable mention - seen plenty a A/B grade shooters do very well (much better than me!!) with a 17 and just a -2 disconnector (and swapping out the front sight as the factory one looks as big as a dinner plate once you shoot distance). The reason this gets an honorable mention is that when you add up the firearm, belt, holster, mag pouches, ear-pro, eyes, spare mags, range bag, staple gun etc etc, you will chew through your budget in no time and might be glad you have an extra 200usd in your pocket. Warning I started with a 17 then went to a 34, so this advice may not be the best - buy once cry once

 

In all honesty, I agree with the comments above, any of the striker fired pistols will do the job. Albeit 8 years ago, when I was shooting competition, the majority of production shooters at the time shot either a CZ or a Glock in 9mm. Not sure if this is still the case but others can comment if this has changed any. If it hasn't - it says a lot

 

My advice - Once Covid has subsided, if they carry the models I would go to an indoor range and shoot all of them back to back. choose which feels best in YOUR hand

 

Good luck 

Edited by DonTour
Link to comment
Share on other sites

About where in Texas?  Somewhere nearby there will be a match when things open up.  At matches pretty much one thing every shooter is happy to do is show of their gat and many will let you shoot it after the match.   Way better way to make a decision about what you like.  Just don't shoot an Open gun.  They are like crack.  ;)

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...