Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Return to the Tanfold

About 10 years ago I ended up with the Tanfoglio Gold Team V12 that had passed through about 7 other forum members’ hands. It was in 38 Super that someone had tuned to SC/TJ.

In a fit of rage and confusion, I ended up moving it on to another forum member. I’ve regretted that ever since.

Now, I’m looking at getting back into the Tanfoglio game, and I’m looking at a Gold Team in 38 Super.  What I’m interested in knowing is when I get it, would I be able to buy a 45 long slide conversion and be able to plink about at the range by just replacing the upper?

Mac

I currently have three Tanfos, all large frame, and two spare complete uppers. I may be incorrect, but I'm thinking that beside the LARGE/SMALL frame compatibility issue the upper fitment to frame depends on the frame (DA/SA or SAO) the original upper came  from. I have a "Stock" .40  upper fits my DA/SA compact 10mm frame but not my "Match" SAO frames, not even close. 

EAA has a serial number check that you can use when ordering a slide conversion. 

PS, welcome back to the Tanfo fold, their rep in the U.S is less than wonderful but in my hands I much prefer my Witness pistols to my CZ SP-01

Edited by gnappi

Ok, that makes sense.  Obviously, I’m looking at SAO in the Gold Team, but being 38 Super, I’d imagine it would be small frame. I imagine that combination might lead to some issues.

Thanks, very much for the input!

Mac

5 minutes ago, McAllyn said:

Ok, that makes sense.  Obviously, I’m looking at SAO in the Gold Team, but being 38 Super, I’d imagine it would be small frame. I imagine that combination might lead to some issues.

Thanks, very much for the input!

Mac

I looked at a .38 super "Match" yesterday which was a large frame, as is the Gold team. I do not think you'll have an issue there unless you stumble on an older small frame upper. 

20 minutes ago, shabodah said:

There are no small frame .38 super guns. Not sure where this is getting confused.

Ah-ha! That’s where I got confused! When I had my Gold Team, I had no idea about large or small frame, but knowing 38 Super is all large frame, that simplifies things greatly.

Mac