Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig MPX bolt gouging metal in the reciever.

My MPX bolt cam pin seems to be gouging the metal in my upper. The cam pin is lined up properly dot to dot.  Is this normal and is there anything I can do to fix this?  It is a gen 2 mpx 8 inch with maybe 2.5-3k rounds through it.

6ZDFdni.jpg

kuQ0Exd.jpg

3 minutes ago, PocketPistol said:

Sig calls this normal. The gen 3 pcc version has a new cam pin design, I am wondering if this still happens on new design.

Damn i could see some finish wear being normal but this is a deep gouge in the aluminum of the reciever...  is there any way to prevent this like an aftermarket cam pin?

If approached correctly I have had pretty good luck getting sig to replace defective parts that have been redesigned. I basically have a whole new upper after incrementally getting them to replace all of the parts they ended up having to redesign on later models. If they want to charge customers to beta test their product they owe you the new parts when they find serious design flaws.

20 minutes ago, inertia said:

If approached correctly I have had pretty good luck getting sig to replace defective parts that have been redesigned. I basically have a whole new upper after incrementally getting them to replace all of the parts they ended up having to redesign on later models. If they want to charge customers to beta test their product they owe you the new parts when they find serious design flaws.

I agree totally. I think you should contact Sig and try to get them to to replace your upper and get the newer designed/updated bolt system.

I'm not one to mind much about dings and wear from usage... but that doesn't look so hot after only 3k rounds on a $1600 gun, f**k that.

2 hours ago, inertia said:

I contacted Sig and will see what they do for me I will report back their response.

On 5/2/2020 at 12:37 PM, PocketPistol said:

A friend sent in his mpx that looked like that, sig charged him $200 diagnostic fee and sent back with no changes... Just make sure sig has said they will replace before you send in.

REALLY

• 4 weeks later...

So Sig Sauer took literally a month to get back to me and they said the wear was normal and not to worry.  As long as it does not affect reliability I wont worry too much but for a 1600$ gun to have a design flaw that gouges metal in the upper seems kind of s#!tty.

image.thumb.png.cceac2bfdefb480430d5d97b37af2cf2.png

9 hours ago, fieryotaku said:

So Sig Sauer took literally a month to get back to me and they said the wear was normal and not to worry.  As long as it does not affect reliability I wont worry too much but for a 1600$ gun to have a design flaw that gouges metal in the upper seems kind of s#!tty.

image.thumb.png.cceac2bfdefb480430d5d97b37af2cf2.png

common issue with the Carrier and spring guide .. the cross dovetail on the spring guide is what is gouging:

1. check your ejector to ensure it is tight in the upper receiver as this will contribute to the issue

2. shift to a faster burn rate powder OR shift to a restricted gas plug (0.052")...MPX's are burn rate sensitive I normally run speer 115gr TMJ that is 1400fps with .0520 restricted gas and 13% reduced recoil springs when I go to 115gr JHP @1400fps with 5.9gr of CFE Pistol  or 5.2gr of Sport Pistol I have to change to the .114 gas plug( factory Open).. when I use fed 115gr JHP +P+(9BPLE) @1450fps I need to go to a .0469 gas plug with the 13% springs all are close in PF but require different gassing.

I paid SIG for the new generation (PCC/G3) Carrier and spring guide for all 3 of my MPX's as they consider the gouging normal but did change the parts that cause it.

2 hours ago, 2011BLDR said:

I paid SIG for the new generation (PCC/G3) Carrier and spring guide for all 3 of my MPX's as they consider the gouging normal but did change the parts that cause it.

Did you call the 603-610-3000 number to order the parts or is there a secret squirrel number?

Nolan

25 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Did you call the 603-610-3000 number to order the parts or is there a secret squirrel number?

Nolan

PN: 1810939-R / OP ROD

1810942-R / BOLT CARRIER, 37 HP, FG

2402083-R / BUMPER, RECOIL

KIT-MPXUPPER / UPPER RECEIVER ASSY, MPX, SEMI, DUST COVER, EJECTOR, BARREL
         CLAMP, HARDWARE

I called a few times and was told $50 shipping on me for evaluation (whole gun) , any aftermarket parts were automatic disqualifying on a warranty request and I was well over the 25K service life of the system... 

I finally got someone willing to work with me and have kept him as my POC, however I am a retired military armorer and held SIG certifications for 18 years and I think that had something to do with it...

Best bet is to call and try to order what you need as the MPX Upper was on the web store a few mounths ago , but not curentley:

https://www.sigsauer.com/sig-sauer-small-parts-shoppers/

On 5/27/2020 at 3:22 PM, 2011BLDR said:

PN: 1810939-R / OP ROD

1810942-R / BOLT CARRIER, 37 HP, FG

2402083-R / BUMPER, RECOIL

KIT-MPXUPPER / UPPER RECEIVER ASSY, MPX, SEMI, DUST COVER, EJECTOR, BARREL
         CLAMP, HARDWARE

I called a few times and was told $50 shipping on me for evaluation (whole gun) , any aftermarket parts were automatic disqualifying on a warranty request and I was well over the 25K service life of the system... 

I finally got someone willing to work with me and have kept him as my POC, however I am a retired military armorer and held SIG certifications for 18 years and I think that had something to do with it...

Best bet is to call and try to order what you need as the MPX Upper was on the web store a few mounths ago , but not curentley:

https://www.sigsauer.com/sig-sauer-small-parts-shoppers/

Thanks!  

Nolan

• 3 weeks later...