Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So what is up with the Tanfo Stainless Grip stains...?

RGC

Looking for info from those that have tackled the front and back strap discolorations on Tanfos (in this case a Stock 2...2017 variant) before.

Tried Windex and a brass brush......bad.

Rinsed off with scalding water......looked better.......brass brush again......worse.......

Feels like I am tempering steel here........changes in all extremes and I really don't care in the end but want the front and back strap at lease uniform and consistent in color.......

IMG_1629.JPG.292a915c3a7d710b16de366553c42f96.JPG

It looks like rust to me. I don’t know what alloy of stainless Tanfoglio uses in their frames but if it has a higher than normal carbon content it is going to rust easier than low content stainless. If a magnet will stick to the frame it has carbon in it and it will rust if it is not protected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stainless steels can rust too - just not as easily as non-stainless. Different alloys rust differently.

Apply WD-40, or some oil that you might have handy. Let it sit. Try scrubbing again.

Yea I had one that did that. The one I had  looked to me that they checkered them after they coated them. So you wine up with rust in the checkering. I would take a mini stainless steel brush to it.

Stainless frame?  I thought all the models currently were hard chromed or some other finish, rather than raw stainless.  That is even less likely to rust than stainless steels that are commonly used for pistols, like 416 which can actually rust rather easily when exposed to sweat and skin oils if they aren't immediately wiped off.  Especially in an area with a "rough" finish, a mirror polish will resist rust for longer.

OP, maybe try a nylon brush with flitz

Edited by FALAR

Pretty sure that the tanfos are hard chrome over carbon steel frames. We would see a lot more galling on tanfos if they were made out of stainless. Mine has some light rust on the backstrap too.

Yes you are correct......they are high carbon for sure.

I was wondering if anyone has ever cerakoted the non flats and non internals in black......thinking about it....its not an USPSA compliance issue and I like a little contrast.......

1 hour ago, RGC said:

Yes you are correct......they are high carbon for sure.

I was wondering if anyone has ever cerakoted the non flats and non internals in black......thinking about it....its not an USPSA compliance issue and I like a little contrast.......

The xtreme models are all cerakoted from the factory. My S2X only has a few small spots around the magwell from reloading. But the cerakote really does help fight the rusting if its prepped really well. I will probably get my Lim Pro coated eventually.

I have a local chap that does decent cerakoting so may see if he can do the non flats.  Getting a slide made from PD and may get that one done (just the flat top) too if the frame works out.

On 5/4/2020 at 8:19 AM, RGC said:

I have a local chap that does decent cerakoting so may see if he can do the non flats.  Getting a slide made from PD and may get that one done (just the flat top) too if the frame works out.

Oh that would look pretty slick I bet! Good luck on that.

Both my lim Pro with 40K rounds on the clock and limited with 25K rounds, have rust on the front and back straps. The only way to stop it is I think cleaning after shooting and dry firing, which I don't, and don't care to. It adds character.

Edited by Bango