Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canadian Ban On Assault Weapons

With a 2 year grace period I am curious if the ban includes PCC assault weapons. Assault Weapons was not my definition. It was the PM's. It doesn't mention caliber so I am wondering about 9mm carbines.

2 minutes ago, RickT said:

While AR9 is not called out there is a prohibition against AR-15, AR-10, M4 carbine and M16 pattern receivers which would seem bans all manner of PCC?

Except maybe a Ruger. They list mini 14 and mini 30 though.

PCCs are not banned per se, but AR15 and AR15 variants as a group are banned. Specific models from specific manufacturers are banned but not all models from all manufacturers are banned.

Edited by Hooked

After talking to a friend in Saskatoon, I decided to reopen this thread. I have hidden the inappropriate post. This thread will remain open to discuss the technical details of the new law and any mitigation (if possible). Feel free to express sympathy for our brothers and sisters up North, but totally stay away from any political content.

1 hour ago, Supertrunk said:

The interesting part is the addition of the Mini-14 series rifles. Not at all like the AR pattern ones; makes you wonder if they are trying to open the door to any style of semi-auto rifle, or any .223 / 5.56 and .308 center fires?

Agreed. The absence of the Ruger 9mm PC makes the inclusion of the mini 14 and 30 even more bewildering.

14 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Agreed. The absence of the Ruger 9mm PC makes the inclusion of the mini 14 and 30 even more bewildering.

The Ruger PCC is essentially a 10/22 in 9mm form. The mini 14 and mini 30 are based on the M1 Garand / M14, which were military weapons. 

3 hours ago, Supertrunk said:

The interesting part is the addition of the Mini-14 series rifles. Not at all like the AR pattern ones; makes you wonder if they are trying to open the door to any style of semi-auto rifle, or any .223 / 5.56 and .308 center fires?

The inclusion of the Mini 14 is strictly based on the fact it was used in the 1989 Polytechnique shooting, The Beretta PX-4 made the list as it was used at another school shooting at Dawson college. 

As an example the QC10 GSF is listed as prohibited in Canada. However there are the QC5 and CLT lowers that are not listed.

QC10 uppers are PCC specific and can be argued are not AR uppers....

Unfortunately there is no logic behind what was done, what was and wasn't included in the initial ban.

And there is word that more bans are being drafted, as well as ammo and magazine restrictions.

The only "legal" PCC I currently have left is the Ruger, but we'll see for how long.

All Ar upper receivers are listed as prohibited due to the fact that they can be assembled to an AR lower.

We're fighting it in court, will see how it plays out.

May only be left with break action shotguns by the time this is all over.

If anyone is open to adopting a few Canadians seeking freedom, there's a long list of willing candidates.

I'm house broken and low maintenance, will work for ammo.