Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Removing Extended Basepads

xdmfan

I've had a couple of Arredondo extended base pads and then later a couple of Taran Tactical because I preferred metal.  All four worked well for awhile, then all four  started having problems where the follower seemed to be hung up, rounds not coming up, causing misfeeds, of course during matches.  I've never had any such issues with pure factory mags, and never have to clean them.

Holding the springs compressed with a thin screwdriver to get the base pads on isn't difficult, but how do you get them off without mangling the springs?  I know no way of depressing the spring to clear them out of the way, and I know they're getting bent up a bit and probably damaged if I force the issue.  Is there something easy I'm overlooking. 

3 minutes ago, xdmfan said:

I've had a couple of Arredondo extended base pads and then later a couple of Taran Tactical because I preferred metal.  All four worked well for awhile, then all four  started having problems where the follower seemed to be hung up, rounds not coming up, causing misfeeds, of course during matches.  I've never had any such issues with pure factory mags, and never have to clean them.

Holding the springs compressed with a thin screwdriver to get the base pads on isn't difficult, but how do you get them off without mangling the springs?  I know no way of depressing the spring to clear them out of the way, and I know they're getting bent up a bit and probably damaged if I force the issue.  Is there something easy I'm overlooking. 

Just pull the pad off the spring will flex enough to allow the pad to come off. I have removed base pads man many times and never damaged the springs, they are way tougher than you think.