Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP-01 bent guide rod

Eargesplitten

Last time I was taking apart my SP-01 I noticed that the stock plastic guide rod is a little bent. I haven't had any function problems aside from with a couple magazines that clearly need their springs replaced, but I'm concerned what that could be a symptom of. I bought it used, the PO put what looks like an 11lb CGW spring in it, going by the yellow paint on the spring. I don't have room to set up the reloading press that I bought, so I've been shooting mostly S&B, I'm wondering if the ammo is too hot for the recoil spring and it's putting extra stress on the frame and guide rod, the guide rod being the only part to show issues so far.

I'm planning on picking up a CGW guide rod since I was already picking up some other parts from them, should I get maybe a 12 or 13lb spring as well, or is the plastic guide rod deforming just something that can happen over time? I haven't checked how far the gun ejects, and I don't have any ranges I can go to right now due to the current situation, but like I said it has had zero failures aside from sometimes not feeding or locking open on a couple of worn out magazines.

I’m at 67k rnds on SP01 and still the original plastic guide rod.

The only thing I do is to note where the bend is top/bottom/side and then rotate 180 deg. from that position on reassembly.

If I get it right great. If I get it wrong, don’t care. Will try to do better next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk