Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Parallax

ffgats

So different magnification has different side focus settings? Is It okay if I set the side focus at 200 yards and my 100 yards will be parallax free? 

Parallax is not dependent on magnification.  Set it for distance and check by moving your eye to see if the reticle stays on target.  The distance shown on the parallax knob may not be exact.

I’ve never found a scope that the distance on parallax is correct. While you do set parallax for distance, I use the side focus/parallax to see mirage better, and that will change with magnification. I’ll use the focus to get my target clear as possible for whatever distance I’m shooting(mainly 600-1000 yards).. than come  back  just a touch which will make the mirage stand out, flow like water...my target may no be perfect clear, but I’m able to get a good read on mirage. if mirage to so bad I can’t see rings on my target, then I’ll back magnification down some..I’ve never personally been able to ever get a scope parallax free. I just make sure I’m positioned and handle rifle exact same way for ever shot. Being able to see a pick up or let off in the mirage is much more important than what little effect parallax has if you handle your rifle the same way for ever shot..

Edited by falconpilot

Everyone will have an opinion or a certain way of doing things - don't mean my way is right or only way, but it works for me. I've been shooting competitive long range for over 12 years now and learn something new every trip to the range. I run adjustable cheek piece on all my stocks.  I raise it up a little to align my eyes into the scope with just a very light cheek contact. I do it this way, every time, every shot, on every rifle. I can get away with the parallax not being perfect by doing this..to me, the ability to really see the mirage good out weighs the parallax not being perfect. I shoot at nationals events for Team McMillan Open - our team captain thinks getting it parallax free is more important than being able to see mirage...He holds current nationals F-Class Open record at 1000 yards...I hold the current national F-Class record at 600 yards...just goes to show however you choice to do it, do it the same way all the time..

• 2 weeks later...

That makes sense. There's an old saying in golf, a putt on the wrong line hit with conviction will have a  better than any tentative putt. Lot's of way to do things in all sports, and practiced repeatable ones work better.

setting the parallax is more than a clear target picture, I move my head slightly looking for the reticle to float around, minor adjustments until the reticle does not move is perfect parallax adjustment

• 2 weeks later...