Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another Brass Question

ODP1911

I've been reloading 9mm for a while now, almost 25 years and this is the first I'm seeing this new issue.

Currently, I have a dillon carbide sizer,  DAA powder funnel, Redding Comp Seating and Redding Comp Crimp.  This has been serving me quite well over the past 20k rds.  Today however, I opened a bag of range brass that I got off gunbroker and started to notice that most of the brass was not flaring enough to seat the bullet without shaving lead.  The offenders were mostly Remington and Brass Blazer but also some Federal  If I adjust the funnel flare down I start getting lots of brass shavings on the shell plate and some brass showing fatigue around the neck after the crimp.  

Is there something I'm not thinking of that could be causing this?  

Thanks in advace! 

-Check the length of the brass maybe it has been trimmed for some reason. The shavings might be burr .I dont know why anyone would trim it but its Gunbroker so who knows

-Try some other brass if you have any. make sure nothing on your setup slipped or got loose.

- Make sure the powder funnel has decent shine to it. that could make shavings.

what head stamp is giving you issues?

The reason I ask. I have a few cases that have failed case gauge.

1 is a tulimmo marked 9mm luger in measures 18mm length.All 

other diminutions are correct to be 9x19. Also have a PPU marked

9mm BROW.L That length measures 20mm in length.

re read this and I have a question based on an observation.

When  the various wet cleaning methods came about .I started

noticing lots of brass splitting and other sizing issues.so could 

this new batch of brass been wet cleaned with some witches brew.

That causes the brass to be "hard" in some way.That is one reason

wet cleaning is /has fell out of favor locally. Any one else notice this?

re read this and I have a question based on an observation.
When  the various wet cleaning methods came about .I started
noticing lots of brass splitting and other sizing issues.so could 
this new batch of brass been wet cleaned with some witches brew.
That causes the brass to be "hard" in some way.That is one reason
wet cleaning is /has fell out of favor locally. Any one else notice this?

This certainly could be a reason. I always dry tumbled brass but I have no idea how the seller cleaned this brass.

So I have found the source of the problem. The powder measure has developed a Crack in the cast body below the sliding bar. I believe this is causing it to flex and not bell brass properly. I replaced it with an ancient measure that came with the press 25 yrs ago and the problem has seemed to corrected.

b1d0162bb2217ca35519ee9c4489c1b6.jpg

The metal that Dillon uses for the powder measure body is to my eye about the cheapest looking stuff you could imagine.

Perhaps it is perfectly fine for that application but it's outward appearance does not inspire confidence... lol.

2 hours ago, ddc said:

The metal that Dillon uses for the powder measure body is to my eye about the cheapest looking stuff you could imagine.

Perhaps it is perfectly fine for that application but it's outward appearance does not inspire confidence... lol.

They most likely chose the material to cast easily for a fairly complicated casting, rather than for appearance.  I'm not sure there are better appearing materials that would work without significant cost increases or redesigning the molds.

Nolan

4 hours ago, ddc said:

True, but their customer service is second to none.

4 hours ago, Nolan said:

They most likely chose the material to cast easily for a fairly complicated casting, rather than for appearance.  I'm not sure there are better appearing materials that would work without significant cost increases or redesigning the molds.

Nolan

I'd bet you're right. 

2 hours ago, stick said:

True, but their customer service is second to none.

I agree 100%