Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers ?

usmc1974

I  like to know, what is the difference between CCI standard small rifle primers and benchrest small rifle primers? Besides them having a little B the bottom.

20200429_145436-1.jpg

Edited by usmc1974

Realistically? Nothing but here's a tidbit...

"BR4s contain the same amount of priming mix as a CCI 400, so they are not a magnum primer. BR4s do have a thicker cup and are more consistent than the 400s which makes them our benchrest primer."

That and $15

The precision guys like them because you can get some more variation in the standard 400s in velocity with equal powder. Very minimal but enough to screw up group if your going for extreme precision. the thicker cup somehow yields a more consistent velocity.  For me the non BR are fine for me

LOL I'm still using the CCI primers I hoarded after SandyHook. But I pro hoard 100 - 140K when I hoard. I hoard hard yeah

Bench rest primers don't seem to be any different, but they're supposed to be made more sensitive. I don't notice any difference.

Edited by Glockster1
Edito mang

One difference I found in them I'm using my dial indicator caliper on 10 of each and I found that the standard 400 is .122 thick

And the benchrest primers are .120 thick if that means something. And the bench rest seat easier.

20200429_162935-1.jpg

20200429_163029-1.jpg