Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38sc sizing dies?

AverageJoeShooting

15 minutes ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

In 38sc?

I only load 9MAJOR but do use them for it. They size way lower than DILLON and of course size smaller as well.

If you are worried more about just sizing lower I know of people who will mill the base of the Dillon dies down

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

I only load 9MAJOR but do use them for it. They size way lower than DILLON and of course size smaller as well.

If you are worried more about just sizing lower I know of people who will mill the base of the Dillon dies down

do you use both of those?

which would you recommend as the better quality?

1 hour ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

do you use both of those?

which would you recommend as the better quality?

AS I UNDERSTAND IT, both are made by LEE so it really makes no difference which one you get. I would Shop around and see which one is cheaper with shipping

2 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

i assume you use like 10 times fired brass like every person who shoots 38sc? since the brass is like gold

I mark my brass with stripes and color code the head by the number of times fired.  After 5 times fired, it goes in the practice bin and gets loaded until I lose it (generally well before 10 reloads because I'm lazy) or it fails inspection.

I use 2 sizing dies on a 1050 for 38 Super or Super Comp, first die is a standard Dillon resizing/decapping die set to almost touch the shell plate, the next die is a Lee Undersize die set to touch the shell plate in the swaging location with the swage rod removed since I only reload my brass and the primers aren't crimped.

Nolan

24 minutes ago, Nolan said:

I mark my brass with stripes and color code the head by the number of times fired.  After 5 times fired, it goes in the practice bin and gets loaded until I lose it (generally well before 10 reloads because I'm lazy) or it fails inspection.

I use 2 sizing dies on a 1050 for 38 Super or Super Comp, first die is a standard Dillon resizing/decapping die set to almost touch the shell plate, the next die is a Lee Undersize die set to touch the shell plate in the swaging location with the swage rod removed since I only reload my brass and the primers aren't crimped.

Nolan

What kind of brass do you use that needs the primer pockets swaged? I thought that was only for military brass with the primer pinned 

I have been using the undersize die mentioned above for 4 years. I have not had any issues with those dies. If you start having brass with alot of buldge then it might be best to use a buldge buster prior to loading them to help with that buldge.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

What kind of brass do you use that needs the primer pockets swaged? I thought that was only for military brass with the primer pinned 

58 minutes ago, Nolan said:

with the swage rod removed since I only reload my brass and the primers aren't crimped.

The swaging system is removed, the primers aren't crimped.

Nolan

1 hour ago, ame0788 said:

These just came on the market and are second to none. I have these for every caliber i reload and they are awesome.

They will size all the way to the shell plate.

https://www.mightyarmory.com/collections/sizing-dies/products/tnt-match-38-super-super-comp-sold-out

Well now I'm buying one

Haha

So whichever has those mighty armory dies I would like to know more information. Send me a pm so I can ask some questions about those dies. I am really interested.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I had extreme bullet setback in the first 50 rounds I loaded with mighty armory die. I spoke with Wayne twice and he is extremely knowledgeable and very helpful I really wanted this die to work. We got the setback to only 10 out of 100 rounds but imo that’s to much risk for pressure spikes.  I know some people have had good success with them but I know a few others have had my experience.  

Bench test my start oal would be 1.165 and push in to 1.10 with ease. Gun test 1.165 to 1.14s 
crimp is .375-.378 

6 hours ago, Bwillis said:

I had extreme bullet setback in the first 50 rounds I loaded with mighty armory die. I spoke with Wayne twice and he is extremely knowledgeable and very helpful I really wanted this die to work. We got the setback to only 10 out of 100 rounds but imo that’s to much risk for pressure spikes.  I know some people have had good success with them but I know a few others have had my experience.  

Bench test my start oal would be 1.165 and push in to 1.10 with ease. Gun test 1.165 to 1.14s 
crimp is .375-.378 

this is in 9mm though correct? 

16 hours ago, Carry9shoot40 said:

Another vote for Dillon. When I was loading 9 I would only use the U die. I tried mighty armory and would get bullet set back. Went back to the I and never had the issues again. 

i went with the u die. 38sc is much higher pressure than 9 so i started noticing when my brass was around 5 times fired it wouldn't case gauge and that led to it eventually not chambering. 

the u die sizes so much further down the casing that i havent had any issues since