Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Milling slide for Red Dot

Tunachaser

I went with CZC and had them install the RDS plate system on my SP-01, I like the ability to change optics if I want. I originally had a Venom mounted but ended up switching to an SRO when they came out. That is usually not an option if you don’t have a plate system.

11 hours ago, Tunachaser said:

Any recommendations for someone to mill the slide on my SP-01?  Looking to try USPSA  CO div.

This places says they mill to a press fit.

Brekke Custom LLC

There's no such thing as a "zero tolerance" fit.  There is such a thing as a "zero clearance" fit.  And to positively make sure there is zero clearance between the cut and the optic, the cut has to be ever so slightly undersized and the optic then forced in or the slide heated slightly, the dot installed while the slide is expanded, then the slide contracts around the optic closing all clearance and locking it in.

Anything else and there IS clearance between the mating parts.

CZ Custom did mine. Good job. Turn around maybe a little slow. But I was not in a hurry so did not pay a lot of attention to time. Cajun Gun Works and
Primary Machine both have numerous positive comments. Don’t recall a negative for either. Probably cannot go wrong with either of these three. Also, certainly not saying these are the only places that can do a great job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not own a CZ, but I was curious if anyone knew if since the there is essentially no weight limit in CO anymore, has this changed the way these companies are machining the slides to attach the optic of the Shadow's now they do not have to get the gun under weight to compete in CO?

Any recommendations for someone to mill the slide on my SP-01?  Looking to try USPSA  CO div.
This places says they mill to a press fit.

Brekke Custom LLC

Aaron did one of my Shadow 2s. The fit is indeed very precise. Quick turnaround too, but I’m local so I just dropped it off and picked it up. Highly recommend his work.

I do not own a CZ, but I was curious if anyone knew if since the there is essentially no weight limit in CO anymore, has this changed the way these companies are machining the slides to attach the optic of the Shadow's now they do not have to get the gun under weight to compete in CO?

Think that would depend on specific model of pistol. Believe Shadow 2s were difficult to make weight. Now no problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I have a CZ 75 Bull Shadow OR from CZC. What I love about this gun is the milled slide with the CZC plates that can fit numerous optics. I think as long as the optics manufacturers continue to make so many different footprints it makes sense to go with a plate system in lieu of a direct mount.

The plates are just 3.12 mm thick +/- so the little bit extra in thickness is minimal.  And the ability to change optics from different manufacturers I see as a huge benefit.

I had a spare slide for my Shadow 2 milled by CZ Custom for their plate system. I’ve had direct milled guns before, but I have come to prefer having to option to change sights in the event that a better optic becomes available. 

I'm also looking to get my SP-01 milled for an optic as it is my last non-optic gun that I own.  I had CZ Custom do my Shadow 2 and recently switched from a Burris FF3 to a Trijicon SRO simply by switching out the plate.  The SRO still sits fairly low on the slide even with a plate system.  I also had my P-09 milled for an SRO by Jagerwerks because I liked the SRO so much.  Since my SP-01 is not a Shadow, I'm concerned with how high the plate system will sit on the slide.  Looking for other options for the SP-01.

IG_20200314.jpg

Edited by BrazeauRacing

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2020 at 10:39 AM, PrimaryBruce said:

We'd love to take care of it for you, OP. Shoot me an email if you have any questions.

Thanks!

I was thinking about having my CZ sp-01 Phantom milled for a Red Dot. Do you use direct slide method or mounting plate I'd like the price and turnaround time. Thanks B

11 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

I was thinking about having my CZ sp-01 Phantom milled for a Red Dot. Do you use direct slide method or mounting plate I'd like the price and turnaround time. Thanks B

Direct to slide. Check out pricing on our website. Giving prices here on the forum is frowned upon.