Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm with Titegroup not locking slide back

b552

I tried loading 9mm for the first time.  Using Xtreme 147grn RN bullets with 3.2 grn of Titegroup at OAL of 1.14.

The load shot fine in my Shield and AR9s and would lock the slide and bolt back.  When shot in a Glock 17 and Beretta 92, the slide would not.

I tried going to 3.3, 3.4 and 3.5 with no luck.

I have a bunch of Titegroup as I have been meaning to do this for awhile so I don't want to change powders. 

The load is mainly for the AR9 and occasionally supressed in the Beretta so I don't want to change recoil springs.

Any suggestions?

I've run a very similar load in 9mm 147gr and 3.1gr of titegroup for years.  I can tell you you it's not the load.  I would be looking at your grip and possibly your hand position on the gun.  Last year, I switched carry guns from a Glock 26/30 to a CZ P10C.  When I first shot it, The slide would not lock back because the ergonomics were different on the CZ.  My weak hand thumb was tripping the slide release.  It took me about 10 to identify and fix the problem.  Have someone video you from both sides focusing on your hands.  I'm sure you'll discover the problem.

It's you, not the powder. Let someone else shoot the guns with your loads. If the slide locks back, it's you. If not, there's something wrong with your mags, or the slide release. But it's not the powder. Titegroup is well used in a lot of 9mm loads.

In one gun club I belonged too, there was a fellow whose 4" 1911 would jam every time with various fte, ftf, etc. When everyone else tried shooting the gun, it functioned perfectly. He had a terrible case of limp wristing.

I shoot with this guy.  He is definitely not a newbie.  He has run our leagues for years and is a capable shooter.  I can tell you he is not limp wristing the gun.  He mostly shoots a 45 and sounds like a newbie, but he is NOT. 

If it's not grip, what else could it be with this loading?

I've shot thousands of Bayou 145's with 3.1 grains of Titegroup in many firearms.  No issue whatsoever.  1.136" seems to work best in all my guns.  You'll have to test that or do a drop check to verify with your guns.

+1 on grip.  Check out Robert Vogel's grip video on YouTube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45QhpvY9LZc

I learned this a few years ago and it changed my shooting.

Good Luck

Edited by Polaris13

Re reading this whole thing this morning and thinking of my tall friend with large hands, he might be manipulating or touching the slide stop.  My first dismiss of grip, came from a reaction to thinking that "grip" meant limp wristing.  If by grip, you guys are thinking that he might be touching or defeating the slide stop - perhaps.

Again, this is a guy with 30 years of competing with a handgun and guessing 15 to 20 of those in action pistol.  That's my best guess.  So maybe going from 1911 platform to the plastic gun???

Thanks for all who are helping. 

Re reading this whole thing this morning and thinking of my tall friend with large hands, he might be manipulating or touching the slide.  My first dismiss of grip, came from a reaction to thinking that "grip" meant limp wristing.  If by grip, you guys are thinking that he might be touching or defeating the slide stop - perhaps.

Again, this is a guy with 30 years of competing with a handgun and guessing 15 to 20 of those in action pistol.  That's my best guess.  So maybe going from 1911 platform to the plastic gun???

Exactly. I’ve done it a few times with some brands. I test with one round only, string have only, with my thumb flagged slightly to insure it is away from the slide stop. 2-3 tests like that usually shows I must have been touching it in some way. I’ve seen it happen with a few students.
With Glocks, I’ve also seen it happen with the slide stop spring installed incorrectly. Sometimes people don’t get the spring below the top pin on a 3 pin Glock.

4 hours ago, Clay1 said:

Re reading this whole thing this morning and thinking of my tall friend with large hands, he might be manipulating or touching the slide stop.  My first dismiss of grip, came from a reaction to thinking that "grip" meant limp wristing.  If by grip, you guys are thinking that he might be touching or defeating the slide stop - perhaps.

That, could be the problem. If he's shot 1911 guns all these years, and is now going to a Glock, he may be keeping the slide lock depressed. Remember, with a 1911, it's normal to have your left thumb rest on the thumb safety. On a Glock, no such thing. Unconsciously, his thumb may be looking for something to rest on. And the slide lock is right there. Especially if he has large hands, or an extended slide release. Someone should shoot his gun with those loads, especially someone who shoots a Glock. Might be an eye opening experience when the slide locks back for someone else.

Success!!

Tried 3.2 grains again and made sure I was clear of the slide release.  Definitely something I will have to be conscious of as I shot them more now that I am reloading 9mm.

Thanks everyone for being able to identify my problem. Glad it wasn't a loading issue just an operator one.