Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger Super GP 100 Cylinder Release

revoman

Not left handed and I made it a little long to start with so I can adjust down in size. A little easier to remove length than to add. 
With this release your strong hand grip never changes if you reload weak hand style. 

I've shot dave's gun with the paddle release on it, it's pretty nice as far as solutions go for somebody who is used to a traditional smith type release.

I dont see how you can possibly get a proper grip on the revolver with the release sticking out that far. The release sticks into the spot where your hand is supposed to be. No worky. 

1 hour ago, alecmc said:

I've shot dave's gun with the paddle release on it, it's pretty nice as far as solutions go for somebody who is used to a traditional smith type release.

I dont see how you can possibly get a proper grip on the revolver with the release sticking out that far. The release sticks into the spot where your hand is supposed to be. No worky. 

Again the release was made long to adjust down. Like I said earlier it is a lot easier to take metal off than to add on later. 
Actually it does not get in the way of a proper grip with the length it is now as when I first put it on I thought it would get in the way during the draw and it did not. 
So yes it does worky at the current length but I will be shortening it to the length that works for me. 
Can you post a picture of your “proper” grip  on a Ruger as I know I grip my S&W’s higher but the  Ruger feels awkward trying to grip  as high. 

Something to do and why not own a Ruger after all they are our major sponsor in ICORE. Don’t get me wrong still love my S&W’s but why not give a little back to Ruger. Also since I did purchase one I might as well make it race worthy. Just like the S&W’s they are not ready to run out of the box. New set of Hogue big butts and it is ready to go. 
And now for my little dig. It is a multi caliber revolver it handles 38 short colt(9mm ballistics), 38 long colt, 38 special and 357 magnum. An all around revolver to use for competition shooting and for hunting and everything in between and then you have xxx which can shoot 1 caliber  and what Fun is that. Remember my opinion only and if I hurt 😢 some feelings oh well. 😂🏻

20 hours ago, Carmoney said:

OK, gotta ask.....other than "because it's there".....why bother putting all this effort into the Ruger platform when it appears far easier to simply stick with your S&Ws?  

I slicked up the action myself on that GP100 I picked up at the MW ICORE Regional last year.  It came out very well, just a shade heavier than my Smith's with no light strikes, yet the action "feels" lighter than my smith's?  May just be because it's new & different?   It is very accurate also.  Seems pretty robust.

It may well be just another option to Smith's.

I won't be selling my Smith's though, nor mothballing them!

Edited by pskys2

11 hours ago, Carmoney said:

OK, gotta ask.....other than "because it's there".....why bother putting all this effort into the Ruger platform when it appears far easier to simply stick with your S&Ws?  

In my case it was equal parts Ruger is supporting the sports I play and I already have several smiths so something different seemed fun. 

• 2 months later...
On 5/3/2020 at 11:39 PM, Carmoney said:

For me (929 and super gp100 in 9mm) it seems like it gets down to: Ruger - more reliable, great customer service, dry fire with no broken firing pin worries, chambers too tight and shallow for some ammo and moonclip combos that the Smith will handle with no worries, easier for the home gunsmith to get ready for competition (spring kit and polish). Accuracy (working on it)?

Smith - better trigger achievable, frustrating customer service, need to baby the reloads so you do not mess up the crane (not a problem for many shooters), will the TK custom firing pin allow lots of dry fire without breaking (no idea, installing one today)?, excellent accuracy once you find what the gun likes without leading. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

23 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

For me (929 and super gp100 in 9mm) it seems like it gets down to: Ruger - more reliable, great customer service, dry fire with no broken firing pin worries, chambers too tight and shallow for some ammo and moonclip combos that the Smith will handle with no worries, easier for the home gunsmith to get ready for competition (spring kit and polish). Accuracy (working on it)?

Smith - better trigger achievable, frustrating customer service, need to baby the reloads so you do not mess up the crane (not a problem for many shooters), will the TK custom firing pin allow lots of dry fire without breaking (no idea, installing one today)?, excellent accuracy once you find what the gun likes without leading. 

Haven't tried a TK, but all of the others will still break or the springs will collapse/break, just deep cleaned my PC and found the FP spring in 2 pieces it was still working though.  I've had C&S & Apex break, thought the Apex went a lot longer and Randy replaced it with no questions.  Good guy to deal with.  I bought about 10 of the C&S at one time, think I'm down to 5 left?

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2020 at 12:39 AM, Carmoney said:

I own a 929 and have been thinking about a Super GP100. I am waiting for more after market parts and more reports from people. 

Why Ruger?  ... because I am f-ing tired of the BS Smith pulls on people. Sell a competition gun that is nothing more than a kit. There are all sorts of problems with bullet diameter. Some work fine with .356, others .357, others .358 ... they charge more because "performance center" but there isn't much performance out of that gun out of the box. 

Is the Ruger better or is it also a parts kit and will it have issues with ammo or will it be a true 9mm? ... I don't know yet. I am waiting on more reports. But if the reports are good, I will get a Super GP 100. 

I do love that YouTube is full of N frame videos, so working on the 929 was very easy.

Now that I am almost done figuring out everything on the 929, it is a great gun, and I have too much fun shooting it. But I had to do a bunch of work to get it there. I knew what Iwas getirng into, but if I was a new shooter that didnt  know better, this would be my last Smith for a while. 

I never send my guns back to the factory, even though I live like 30min from SW (maybe I could drop it off???) but I am also tired of reading the bad experience people have with them. 

Edited by Pnut

My super gp 100 so far (9mm).

Disappointed that the chambers are a lot tighter than the 929, the moon clips I had for my 929 would not work for the GP and the brass needs to be darn near perfect. Anything that fits in the GP works easily in the 929.

Trigger is more gritty than my 10mm GP100 and will bind in the fully rearward position on occasion. Working on that, have done the same polishing on both guns. Trigger is a gritty / clunky 7.5# , does not compare to the 929 and is noticeably more gritty than my 10mm GP100, working on it. 

Had to send the gun back to Ruger to get the pawl replaced. First pawl would intermittently drop the plunger/cylinder stop too soon on a couple cylinders. Crappy that they sent the gun out that way, but they turned the gun around in 10 days so that was very nice. They emailed me on receipt of the gun and sent me lead time estimates and progress updates, without my asking, very nice customer relations experience. The demooner they ship with the gun is too large in diameter to work with spacing of the 8 shot gun ammo - not a great sign for attention to detail.

Have not found a load that the gun likes, hard to find different bullets to play with right now. At the moment I can shoot better groups with my 4" 10mm GP100 and a lot better groups with my 929. 

Fits my hand the best. 

My 929 in comparison

After I found it wanted 0.358's it stopped leading and it shoots very well. Trigger is a nice smooth 5.5 - 6#.

Took S&W 4 months to fix a damaged crane. Am concerned that my gun will be a lemon in this regard, seems that the V of the crane lines up very marginally with the crane screw plunger and that allows for minimal contact area. While they had the gun it was impossible to find out anything regarding when they would have it back to me, very frustrating to try and get any info from S&W. 

For a while every screw on the gun seemed anxious to come loose. Loctite has been employed. 

For what it is worth. 

• 1 month later...

Being a lefty, I've been looking for an extended release for GP100 for a while.  Thought I had a line on a gunsmith who made them but it didn't pan out.  Made a couple of my own mock-ups. The first one used a modified factory smith release (talk about irony) and the second one used a piece of flat stock I had installed on a Blackhawk hammer to lower it before you could get the Super BH hammers and install them.  I used liquid weld to put them on.  As is, not really meant to shoot a match just to function test.  The function test real well and make my reloads a lot quicker.

Will be glad to see Hogue come out with some.

IMG_4188.jpg

IMG_4189.jpg

IMG_4190.jpg

IMG_4191.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/7/2020 at 11:41 AM, COF said:

Being a lefty, I've been looking for an extended release for GP100 for a while.  Thought I had a line on a gunsmith who made them but it didn't pan out.  Made a couple of my own mock-ups. The first one used a modified factory smith release (talk about irony) and the second one used a piece of flat stock I had installed on a Blackhawk hammer to lower it before you could get the Super BH hammers and install them.  I used liquid weld to put them on.  As is, not really meant to shoot a match just to function test.  The function test real well and make my reloads a lot quicker.

Will be glad to see Hogue come out with some.

IMG_4188.jpg

IMG_4189.jpg

IMG_4190.jpg

IMG_4191.jpg

Another lefty here.  Talk to Harold Nicholson about the release that he made for me.  I just have to sweep my finger across the release.  It is a work of art.