Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 3 Recoil Spring weight with Dot?

zsavage81

Been outta the game for about 5 years and am contemplating a comeback, which obviously requires a new gun and division.

Plan is to slap a dot on a stock 3 and shoot some CO (possibly). Going through my old inventory of parts I've got a lot of what I need to jaz this sucker up, but when I was looking at recoil springs I started to wonder if the weight of the dot effected which recoil spring weight I should be using? My stock 2's in production all have 9 or 10 pound springs. Is that gonna fly or do I need to think about something else?

I’m a newbie pistol competitor, but hats besides the point.

I compete with Tanfos...I own stock 1,2,3 and Lim Pros.

heres my advise: keep your gun as stock as possible. Everything you do to your gun (trigger jobs, reduced spring weights, etc) builds unreliability into your platform. From occasional light strikes (trigger job w reduced springs), to failure to go into battery (too light a recoil spring).

i have a stock one set up for CO...it’s completely stock and completely reliable.

1 hour ago, Localizer said:

I’m a newbie pistol competitor, but hats besides the point.

I compete with Tanfos...I own stock 1,2,3 and Lim Pros.

heres my advise: keep your gun as stock as possible. Everything you do to your gun (trigger jobs, reduced spring weights, etc) builds unreliability into your platform. From occasional light strikes (trigger job w reduced springs), to failure to go into battery (too light a recoil spring).

i have a stock one set up for CO...it’s completely stock and completely reliable.

I’m not new I just took a break, but no way I’m ever gonna compete with a stock tanfo trigger, they’re garbage! I was an early adopter of the stock 2 right after Ben started shooting one, Eric taught me what all he does to them so that as a EGD dealer I could work on them, and I worked on a whole bunch of them for a whole bunch of really good shooters. All I’m trying to figure out is what # recoil spring dudes are running with an optic as I have zero slide ride experience!

Springs are pretty cheap.  Get a few different ones below factory weight and see which you like.  The dot will move a little differently with different poundages, but the extra slide weight doesn't matter much for actual function.  Its a preference thing.

• 3 weeks later...