Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optics and Mounting for a P320 X5 Legion

alien_pickles

Does anyone try to contact SIG and see if they can replace the existing legion slide with a new one with RMR holes? Would be great if that's possible. This looks like a nice improvement to install SRO. But I can't justify the price to buy a new slide just for that.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

How snug was the fit of the SRO into the mounting cutout?  If the optic is not snug against the front and back of the cutout I would have some concerns if only the screws were taking the brunt of the blow as the slide actuates.

This continue to be my concern and I have seen anything definitive to convince me either way.

1 hour ago, firerain said:

Does anyone try to contact SIG and see if they can replace the existing legion slide with a new one with RMR holes? Would be great if that's possible. This looks like a nice improvement to install SRO. But I can't justify the price to buy a new slide just for that.

Could never hurt to contact them.  I knew someone that was trying to change out their LCI barrel for a non LCI barrel, and they ended up just sending him the LCI Barrel, where he had to do nothing.  He didn't send the barrel or anything.  My gut tells me they would not trade or just hand out slides though.  You never know till you ask.  

On another note, it is crazy to me that Sig created a direct mounting option for the SRO/RMR and Holosuns, but have yet to create a direct mounting option for the Sig Romero 3 Max, or XL.

8 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

How snug was the fit of the SRO into the mounting cutout?  If the optic is not snug against the front and back of the cutout I would have some concerns if only the screws were taking the brunt of the blow as the slide actuates.

My legion has a build date of February 2020.  It has the cutout for SRO and no LCI. 

The SRO is not a snug fit on mine.  There is a gap both front and back.  I chose to mount it with a Springer Precision plate.  Really only reason was I have another non-Legion X5 with SRO mounted on a plate, so now they match.

On 5/6/2020 at 1:53 PM, alien_pickles said:

I can't speak to when this was manufactured since I purchased it second-hand, but it arrived today and has all these holes. So... I'm guessing they are now compatible with more stuff?

IMG_20200506_134855.jpg

So a Trijicon SRO should mount direct to this slide without the need for an adapter plate? (I have the same hole pattern. MFG date 27 February 2020)

On 5/13/2020 at 7:15 PM, Rich406 said:

6-40 screws fit, the trijicon screws are 6-32. Had to take a slide to the hardware store to,figure it out.  

Thank you! Sending along to him! Appreciate it!

38 minutes ago, jcm said:

So a Trijicon SRO should mount direct to this slide without the need for an adapter plate? (I have the same hole pattern. MFG date 27 February 2020)

From previous posts in the thread it looks like that slide is machined to accept the SRO/RMR and Holosuns (since Holosuns have the same footprint as SRO/RMRS, if my memory serves me correct).

Something I mentioned before in this thread, is that if that optic does not fit snug in the cutout only the screws used to mount the optic are taking the brunt of the shearing force as the slide reciprocates. Every adapter plate I have used has tabs that index the optic and share that shearing force with the screws.  Something to keep in mind. 

12 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

There is gap at the front and back of the optic, so the screws are all thats holding it. Its feels solid and held zero but I only fired a small number of rounds with it mounted this way. I definitely feel more comfortable using the optic plate but wanted to give it a try since it's lower to the slide. I'm planning on changing optics and using springer plate.

21 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

From previous posts in the thread it looks like that slide is machined to accept the SRO...

Something I mentioned before in this thread, is that if that optic does not fit snug in the cutout only the screws used to mount the optic are taking the brunt of the shearing force as the slide reciprocates. Every adapter plate I have used has tabs that index the optic and share that shearing force with the screws.  Something to keep in mind. 

Thank you for clarifying! 

I feel the the same way about the optic not fitting snug. I will definitely be getting an adapter plate for mine!

On 5/7/2020 at 8:53 AM, OhioLefty said:

Looks like you got the newer revised mounting holes.  Just FYI, if you got the original case with your X5, the manufacture date is in small print on a sticker at one end of the case.

Ooooh, thanks, I never even thought to look there.

February 13, 2020

For those of you concerned about the gap when mounting the rmr or sro, Chpws made a filler plate with legs to support the rmr footprint. I was concerned just screws wouldn’t hold. Looks like I’ll get a legion and sro to try out now. Go to 1:30 for the plate info. 

http://www.chpws.com/product/sig-p320-w-r1p-dpp-cut-w-rmr-holosun-holes-filler-plate-for-rmr-sro-holosun

13 minutes ago, Manwithnoname said:

For those of you concerned about the gap when mounting the rmr or sro, Chpws made a filler plate with legs to support the rmr footprint. I was concerned just screws wouldn’t hold. Looks like I’ll get a legion and sro to try out now. Go to 1:30 for the plate info. 

http://www.chpws.com/product/sig-p320-w-r1p-dpp-cut-w-rmr-holosun-holes-filler-plate-for-rmr-sro-holosun

It looks like I was wrong. Below is the correct plate. 

http://www.chpws.com/product/sig-p320-x-five-legion-rmr-sro-holosun-407-507-508-adapter-plate

On 5/16/2020 at 9:18 PM, Manwithnoname said:

It looks like I was wrong. Below is the correct plate. 

I have both of those plates.  Your first link was correct if it has the RMR holes.  The second plate is a bit more robust though.

• 1 year later...
On 4/27/2020 at 8:41 PM, terrydoc said:

Apparently X5 Legions made from about last week in Feb have the RMR mounting holes drilled, so you maybe in luck for a Holosun as they have the same mounting as RMR.

IMG_0838-copy-2.jpg

Well, the pattern on my X5 looks totally different. Can anybody identify it and tell me what optics fit on my gun please?

3C5C5299-B33A-4D90-A698-B053E4D639A7.jpeg

1 hour ago, Paul089 said:

Well, the pattern on my X5 looks totally different. Can anybody identify it and tell me what optics fit on my gun please?

I believe that is a question for Sig.  Unless you bought a used gun (or slide) to where someone had the slide milled, and/or modified for a different optic.  Those patterns do no look familiar to any of the X5, X5 Legion slides I own (5 total).

6 hours ago, Paul089 said:

3C5C5299-B33A-4D90-A698-B053E4D639A7.jpeg

That’s an original X5 slide. Only the Romeo1 fits. Everything else needs a plate. 

• 5 months later...
On 4/27/2020 at 2:41 PM, terrydoc said:

Apparently X5 Legions made from about last week in Feb have the RMR mounting holes drilled, so you maybe in luck for a Holosun as they have the same mounting as RMR.

IMG_0838-copy-2.jpg

On the slide with the holes drilled and tapped for the RMR, what is the thread?  

I tried the screws that came with the SRO but the threads are not the same. 

Any help with this would be great. 

Thank you in advance

Jeff

On 4/28/2020 at 4:14 AM, alien_pickles said:

Thanks for the clarification! I didn't realize there was a difference in the mounts between the regular and the Pro!

I'm hearing good things about the vortex venom warranty. Reliability is my main concern

In regards to warranty its when you will need to use it NOT if you need to use it. Just the nature of the beast regardless of who manufactures them.

• 1 year later...
28 minutes ago, gmantwo said:

My x5 has 6 holes in the sight cut, looks nothing like those617DAB9C-8874-439F-8260-796A20BC55BA.jpeg.28b0120b30ad6b3a82d2e0c1029d504d.jpeg

That’s pretty much the standard footprint these days. It will direct mount a romeo1 pro, dpp or any sight with a trijicon footprint. 

On 1/25/2023 at 9:20 PM, terrydoc said:

That's the difference between footprint and fit, the holes might be ok BUT the body doesn't fit

Right. Gotta decide if this is going to be a dedicated optic slide. If so I’ll just mill the slide to match the rear of the dot