Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optics and Mounting for a P320 X5 Legion

alien_pickles

The 508T actually weighs slightly more than the 407 or 507 (2 oz compared to 1.5 oz), the main benefit to the 508T is supposed to be the more durable titanium housing (compared to the aluminum housing of the 407/507).  In the Sage Dynamics video above, he drops the pistol on the optic from shoulder height 4 times over 2,000 rounds and the zero is still the same.  It does look a bit worse for wear cosmetically though😀

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

Yeah, I have the same concern with the Holosun

What I've done is set my legion up with a SRO. Then I bought a used X5 slide and put the Holosun on it. I'll run the holosun in practice to keep rounds off of the SRO and only use it at major matches only. Well, apparently I'll also use it when the Holosun is down too lol.

At some point I'll just get a second SRO. But I'm hopeful this 407 will hold up because it's a decent sight and can keep the cost of entry down if you're on a budget. I'd like to be able to recommend it to people but I'd like to know it'll hold up first.

This sounds like a great idea for someone on a budget who still wants to be competitive. I'm not looking to seriously compete yet, so I'd rather start with the cheaper option and upgrade if I decide to move out of limited

7 hours ago, alien_pickles said:

This sounds like a great idea for someone on a budget who still wants to be competitive. I'm not looking to seriously compete yet, so I'd rather start with the cheaper option and upgrade if I decide to move out of limited

Per holosun the 407, 507, 508 are basically the same. The T does get titanium and has a flat top, and I think it has a better warranty. And the reticle options are different between the 407's and 50X's.

For me, the $200 I paid for the 407 was worth a shot. Hopefully it works out. If not I'll just sell it for something else.

On 4/27/2020 at 12:57 PM, DesertTortoise said:

The DPP is the best optic mentioned for USPSA. I have a fastfire, Romeo 1, and vortex viper and the DPP is the best of those because of the large window and bright dot.

I picked mine up for $300 used.

Hope that is helpful.

I ended up finding a DPP used locally for a decent price. I'm hopeful it will meet my needs. I'm very excited for the gun to get here so I can try it out!

I'm hearing the adapter plates can cause issues with the sights maintaining zero, since it raises them. Anyone know anything about this? Is there an actual disadvantage to using an adapter plate other than having to buy another piece?

1 minute ago, alien_pickles said:

I'm hearing the adapter plates can cause issues with the sights maintaining zero, since it raises them. Anyone know anything about this? Is there an actual disadvantage to using an adapter plate other than having to buy another piece?

My pistols use adapter plates to mount RDSs; I don’t think they are inherently a problem. I watch out for plates that raise the optic “too” high, depend solely on screws to resist horizontal movement, or are poorly machined.

They can cause a shift in zero if they slip on the slide or allow the optic to slip on the plate. I doubt that raising a sight would cause trouble holding zero.

On 4/29/2020 at 12:07 AM, alien_pickles said:

This is interesting. I bought it BNIB from a forum, so I don't know when it was manufactured. I don't have it yet. 

Would that mean it would need the mounting plate for a DPP or Romeo1Pro then?

If it is a Legion NO you don't need a plate for either of those 2 as that's what was designed to go on them. If your lucky and it's got the extra set of holes then you would be able to fit any other RDS that uses the RMR hole pattern.

On 5/2/2020 at 2:59 AM, terrydoc said:

If it is a Legion NO you don't need a plate for either of those 2 as that's what was designed to go on them. If your lucky and it's got the extra set of holes then you would be able to fit any other RDS that uses the RMR hole pattern.

Interesting. Still crossing my fingers, as it hasn't arrived yet!

Have friend trying to mount and SRO to the slide directly. Holes line up...but the thread pitch on the screws seems to be different. Does anyone know what the thread pitch of the slide holes are? I'm not there to diagnose in person currently.

3 hours ago, BigAm said:

Have friend trying to mount and SRO to the slide directly. Holes line up...but the thread pitch on the screws seems to be different. Does anyone know what the thread pitch of the slide holes are? I'm not there to diagnose in person currently.

6-40 screws fit, the trijicon screws are 6-32. Had to take a slide to the hardware store to,figure it out.  

33 minutes ago, BobRockefeller said:

Are you seeing any problems with ejection? Reliability? Impacting the SRO housing? Or does brass head out more to the right and avoid the whole thing?

And what about fogging lense? Are X5s coming without a loaded chamber indicator or is that still a request?

I just mounted this directly to slide after reading this thread and realizing my slide had the holes for rmr, previously was using springer precision plate, only about 75 rounds through it since changing but didn't notice any ejection issues 

I find the discussion of the optic interfering with the ejection port on the X5 Legion interesting.  When I first purchased some of the first Springer Precision adapter plates for my SRO, the adapter plate placed the optic even or maybe even ever so slightly over the back edge of the ejection port. From what I observed possibly the most forward position of an optic on that gun, due to the way the SRO is built.  I never had any ejection problems.  I never obtained video of  the ejection port as the gun fired to see if there was contact, but there were no scratches on the Optic case that would indicate casing were hitting the optic upon ejection.  Is this possibly due to using different recoil springs which would in turn effect the direction the casings were ejecting?  Maybe cause the plate increased the distance between the port and the optic?

Note on the picture, the scratches on the optic came from me rubbing the optic on a concrete bench rest when holstered.

X5_SRO.jpg

Edited by Boomstick303

3 hours ago, mxj23 said:

Not the best pics but.....

15894507656052.jpg

15894507656383.jpg

How snug was the fit of the SRO into the mounting cutout?  If the optic is not snug against the front and back of the cutout I would have some concerns if only the screws were taking the brunt of the blow as the slide actuates.