Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optics and Mounting for a P320 X5 Legion

alien_pickles

I just bought a Sig P320 X5 Legion for CO, but it's coming with iron sights. I stupidly thought adding an optic would be fairly straight forward...

There's almost too much information available, so I'm hoping someone can simplify it. I'm looking to spend no more than $300. My impression is that if I don't want to buy an adapter plate, I can get a Romeo1 or a DPP. However, the DPP is more expensive and is only 2.5 MOA. I shoot USPSA, so I need it to work in the sun.

What actually goes together of the others? I've considered a Burris FastFire 3 and a Holosun 510C based on recommendations, but I can't figure out how to mount either of them.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you want to mount other than a DPP or R1 Pro. You need an adapter plate. Springer precision has an adapter plate for most optics. If you have a newer legion you can also mount anything with a RMR pattern. The 510c is too big for a slide mounted optic. If you are looking for simplicity I'd just get a r1 pro or the DPP and call it a day.

You would need a Romeo 1 Pro, not Romeo 1.  The Pro is more expensive.  Assuming you have the Legion and not the regular X5 that is your only 2 choices without a plate.  I have used a Vortex Venom, DPP, and Romeo 1 Pro.  I have been lucky that I haven’t had any issues with any of them.  The window is bigger with DPP and Romeo 1Pro.  I would take warranty as a consideration because all RDS will eventually fail. No experience with Holsun.

15 minutes ago, B585 said:

You would need a Romeo 1 Pro, not Romeo 1.  The Pro is more expensive.  Assuming you have the Legion and not the regular X5 that is your only 2 choices without a plate.  I have used a Vortex Venom, DPP, and Romeo 1 Pro.  I have been lucky that I haven’t had any issues with any of them.  The window is bigger with DPP and Romeo 1Pro.  I would take warranty as a consideration because all RDS will eventually fail. No experience with Holsun.

Thanks for the clarification! I didn't realize there was a difference in the mounts between the regular and the Pro!

I'm hearing good things about the vortex venom warranty. Reliability is my main concern

If you are shooting the gun in competition, reliability is important, but perhaps not paramount, as it would be for duty carry. And $300 won't put you into the top end optics.

Examine your slide to see if it is drilled for just the DPP/Romeo1P, or if it can also take RMR pattern RDSs.

If it can, take a look at Holosun, they get good reviews, have good feature sets, and are mid-priced.

Mounting plates are cheap, I'd consider one to open up your options for dots. I think the SRO might be the best dot on the market right now.  But it's pricey. This is what I have on my primary set up.

I'm playing with a holosun 407c on my back up (run about $200) it seems like a good dot. BUT, I'm already testing out their warranty service. That said, I filed a claim with them on a Sunday, had a shipping label Monday, Shipped Tuesday. It arrived to them that Friday and was on it's way back the next Friday. It should be back in my hands tomorrow. So I'm pretty impressed with their service. So time will tell if I just got a bad one, or if they wont hold up. 

45 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

I'm playing with a holosun 407c on my back up (run about $200) it seems like a good dot. BUT, I'm already testing out their warranty service. That said, I filed a claim with them on a Sunday, had a shipping label Monday, Shipped Tuesday. It arrived to them that Friday and was on it's way back the next Friday. It should be back in my hands tomorrow. So I'm pretty impressed with their service. So time will tell if I just got a bad one, or if they wont hold up. 

If they do not, the 508T will:

44 minutes ago, BobRockefeller said:

If they do not, the 508T will:

The 407 and the 508 are basically the same, the reticle is different. My 407 made it about 6-800 rounds. Mine was the newer V2, also.

Edited by Racinready300ex

I’m probably a bit biased, but the direct-mounted R1PRO in 6MOA is pretty hard to beat. The little notch in the optic housing even co-witnesses with the Dawson front sight quite well.

If I weren’t using a direct-mounted R3Max, I would use the R1PRO. My original DPP is great, but I’ve gotten not great reports on the newer ones...from a number of CO users. Plus, it’s quite tall.

The R3Max or XL is the king of the mountain...but you gotta pay to play. And, use an adapter plate.

My opinions, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, terrydoc said:

Apparently X5 Legions made from about last week in Feb have the RMR mounting holes drilled, so you maybe in luck for a Holosun as they have the same mounting as RMR.

Does anyone know if this is correct??

Just keep in mind that all dots break, could happen on the 1st round or 100,000th. Seems that the R3Max and SRO from what I’ve heard/read are currently the leaders in reliability but that doesn’t mean no one has had issues.

I have the R1 and R1Pro on my X5 and X5 Legion. Sig has been excellent with their warranty on the R1, haven’t put the R1Pro through the paces yet.  Cant go wrong with the Holosun or Vortex for the price and using the Springer Precision mounting plate either.  

For what your asking I’d go with the Romeo 1 Pro. I only just found out that the new Legions have RMR cuts so if you can verify that, it opens up your options for optics with RMR cuts like the Holosun. 

19 hours ago, terrydoc said:

Apparently X5 Legions made from about last week in Feb have the RMR mounting holes drilled, so you maybe in luck for a Holosun as they have the same mounting as RMR.

IMG_0838-copy-2.jpg

This is interesting. I bought it BNIB from a forum, so I don't know when it was manufactured. I don't have it yet. 

Would that mean it would need the mounting plate for a DPP or Romeo1Pro then?

17 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

The 407 and the 508 are basically the same, the reticle is different. My 407 made it about 6-800 rounds. Mine was the newer V2, also.

Yeah, 6-800 rounds is so low for it to break. That's my concern. The few people I know running slide mounted holosuns don't shoot much. A 500 round practice session is pretty standard for me.

And... I'm not set up to reload 9 yet, so whatever I get is going to have to deal with a higher power factor than most people shoot in USPSA

5 minutes ago, BobRockefeller said:

In the video posted above, Aaron beats the bejesus out of a 508T V2. If he didn't kill it, they must be pretty reliable, in general.

That's fair. The other person was talking about a totally different model, so it's good to know they're different!

3 hours ago, alien_pickles said:

Yeah, 6-800 rounds is so low for it to break. That's my concern. The few people I know running slide mounted holosuns don't shoot much. A 500 round practice session is pretty standard for me.

And... I'm not set up to reload 9 yet, so whatever I get is going to have to deal with a higher power factor than most people shoot in USPSA

Yeah, I have the same concern with the Holosun

What I've done is set my legion up with a SRO. Then I bought a used X5 slide and put the Holosun on it. I'll run the holosun in practice to keep rounds off of the SRO and only use it at major matches only. Well, apparently I'll also use it when the Holosun is down too lol.

At some point I'll just get a second SRO. But I'm hopeful this 407 will hold up because it's a decent sight and can keep the cost of entry down if you're on a budget. I'd like to be able to recommend it to people but I'd like to know it'll hold up first.

3 hours ago, BobRockefeller said:

In the video posted above, Aaron beats the bejesus out of a 508T V2. If he didn't kill it, they must be pretty reliable, in general.

Is there any difference between the 407v2 and the 508v2 other then the reticle? The 407 is just a dot, the 508 is the dot and circle. They certainly look like the same sight.

20 hours ago, gmshtr said:

I’m probably a bit biased, but the direct-mounted R1PRO in 6MOA is pretty hard to beat. The little notch in the optic housing even co-witnesses with the Dawson front sight quite well.

If I weren’t using a direct-mounted R3Max, I would use the R1PRO. My original DPP is great, but I’ve gotten not great reports on the newer ones...from a number of CO users. Plus, it’s quite tall.

The R3Max or XL is the king of the mountain...but you gotta pay to play. And, use an adapter plate.

My opinions, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do agree I like the  R1 Pro a little more than the DPP.  The little bit of extra width works better for me than height (the DPP is a little taller).  I love being able to direct mount.  I only have 500 rounds on the  R1 Pro so far so I can’t comment on reliability yet.  I am hoping it holds up because so far I really like the optic.

33 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

Is there any difference between the 407v2 and the 508v2 other then the reticle? The 407 is just a dot, the 508 is the dot and circle. They certainly look like the same sight.

The 508 has a titanium housing (the T after 508T).  The 507v2 is more similar to the 407v2, with the multiple reticle options.

43 minutes ago, cjmill87 said:

The 508 has a titanium housing (the T after 508T).  The 507v2 is more similar to the 407v2, with the multiple reticle options.

So I'd assume that makes it a little lighter, but probably not really a difference is performance or reliability right?