Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Over gassed ar15

CPD7119

Evening gents, looking for some recommendations for ar15 buffer springs. The rifles are 10.5 barrels with surefire suppressors and they are some gassey SOB's. I'd like to slow the bolt down a bit. I'm already in the process of experimenting with different buffer weights but I'd like a stiff spring to go with a heavier buffer. Any recommendations?

58 minutes ago, AHI said:

you probably don't reload but reducing the  powder charge would help.

Other wise a 308 flat wire spring will slow the bolt down some. would probably

be insignificant thow. why can you not use an adjustable gas block this is what there made for,

I do reload but these rifles shoot factory speer ammunition. I should have prefaced this post a little. These are work guns that for multiple reasons can't have adjustable gas blocks. So springs and buffers are the options for the time being.

Buffers with tungsten weights are rather pricey, but steel 9 mm buffers are considerably heavier than standard buffers and not very expensive.  Are you using a heavier carrier (M16 profile)?  That also adds significant weight.  After those mods, I needed a bit more, so I made a steel slug to fit inside the back end of the carrier and drilled them for an Allen screw to hold it in place.  Together those mods slow cycle time considerably.

23 hours ago, Ronemus said:

Buffers with tungsten weights are rather pricey, but steel 9 mm buffers are considerably heavier than standard buffers and not very expensive.  Are you using a heavier carrier (M16 profile)?  That also adds significant weight.  After those mods, I needed a bit more, so I made a steel slug to fit inside the back end of the carrier and drilled them for an Allen screw to hold it in place.  Together those mods slow cycle time considerably.

So you added a steel weight to the back of your bolt carrier group? Have you noticed any premature wear or have any issues come up from that mod? I like the idea a lot.

No issues after ~10k rounds.  My primary reason for doing this was to eliminate rim lifts - I use  28" barrels with the gas port 2" forward, but is was unlocking early and chewing up rims.  The rifle is for NRA Highpower and Long Range competition, and I use 75 gr Hornady bullets: BTHP from the magazine and A-Max single loaded.  That's well outside the envelope the AR is designed for.

Could consider a JP with heavy weights and max springs, but I've only used those to lighten not make things heavier so no guarantee :) It's an expensive experiment, but also a great system. I have used the sprinco springs in different rates, cheap way to go and the extra power option may help you out. https://www.sprinco.com/ar-buffer.html

There is also some good literature on there, including an article that helps you figure out what's "possible" to do with springs, buffers, or gas based on caliber and ejection trajectory. 

Geissele has a stout spring available that you could pair with a hefty buffer and stick with standard stuff instead of adding the carrier slug like we often see in 9mm AR bolts.

But if you wanted to go the slug route, I'm sure one of the 9mm AR bolt manufacturers could sell you a few slugs to try. Would then just need someone to drill the carriers to allow pinning the slugs in place.