Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Height adjustable bench

bigdawgbeav

I agree that bench isn’t heavy enough, but wheels aren’t an “instant” deal breaker.

My bench is on wheels (actually heavy duty casters) and I have zero issue. But my bench also weights several hundred pounds with nothing on it.

b0c167b3c8a81546b51008e7faa438b3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sturdy enough. I didn’t feel like building my new bench when I moved workshop so I got 3 adjustable height benches from Amazon (link below). I knew they wouldn’t be sturdy enough on their own but I had 2 2x12’s leftover from building shop. I screwed one 2x12 under the wood tops to hold it all together the. I put one 2x12 along the bottom cross pieces creating a bottom shelf (which is storing hundreds of pounds of product). I also bolted entire thing to wall. Extremely firm.

in the center of workshop, I have a Home Depot Husky mobile chest workbench(link below). It is very heavy and thought it would work well as two casters have locks. It doesn’t stay as still as you need it when pulling press handles. I need to put locks on other wheels but doubt it will ever be good enough. 

when the bench moves, powder tricklers don’t work and case feeders are unreliable. 

good luck with your project. Making the right decision now will help later!

Seville Classics UltraHD Height Adjustable 4-Foot Heavy-Duty Wood Top Workbench Table, 48", Granite Gray https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071VFXPFB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_QN0PEbMFCGWKP

11 hours ago, iflyskyhigh said:

I agree that bench isn’t heavy enough, but wheels aren’t an “instant” deal breaker.

Agree... to disagree. I thought that for years with my behemoth bench, which featured a solid 1.5” top and the entire structure framed with diagonally braced 4x4s.

Then I lagged it into the studs of the wall and saw a noticeable increase in rigidity and ammo quality.

Your bench isn’t still enough if your casefeeder is swaying. The ability to provide that while cranking the press back and forth with an 18” prybar comes from a bench that’s built like a railroad bridge.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Agree... to disagree. I thought that for years with my behemoth bench, which featured a solid 1.5” top and the entire structure framed with diagonally braced 4x4s.

Then I lagged it into the studs of the wall and saw a noticeable increase in rigidity and ammo quality.

Your bench isn’t still enough if your casefeeder is swaying. The ability to provide that while cranking the press back and forth with an 18” prybar comes from a bench that’s built like a railroad bridge.

Nothing sways.

Bullet feeder runs like clockwork.

Ammo is more accurate than I am.

13 hours ago, iflyskyhigh said:

Nothing sways.

Bullet feeder runs like clockwork.

Ammo is more accurate than I am.

I think the typical complaint is the case feeder which jams if not rock solid. Since I wasn’t using a case feeder on my rolling bench, I didn’t have that problem.

My biggest issue is using a powder trickler (using RCBS electronic powder trickler). Moving the handle in the press shakes things too much which result in additional powder dropping into the pan. I can’t see that being a problem if you are using a press mounted powder measure. Currently, I just moved the PM to another bench and have to walk back and forth. If you have worked in manufacturing you may have heard the term “lean”. Obviously, that extra motion is not very lean. 

Edit: I should add that the Dillon case feeder does have fewer issues IMO with jamming compared to the Hornady on a shaky bench. With Dillon’s you get jams when exiting the bowl. With Hornady’s you get the same jams plus cases bouncing or non-aligned when feeding into shellplate. Their system really sucks IMO. 

Edited by DJRyan13

I think the typical complaint is the case feeder which jams if not rock solid. Since I wasn’t using a case feeder on my rolling bench, I didn’t have that problem.

My biggest issue is using a powder trickler (using RCBS electronic powder trickler). Moving the handle in the press shakes things too much which result in additional powder dropping into the pan. I can’t see that being a problem if you are using a press mounted powder measure. Currently, I just moved the PM to another bench and have to walk back and forth. If you have worked in manufacturing you may have heard the term “lean”. Obviously, that extra motion is not very lean. 

Edit: I should add that the Dillon case feeder does have fewer issues IMO with jamming compared to the Hornady on a shaky bench. With Dillon’s you get jams when exiting the bowl. With Hornady’s you get the same jams plus cases bouncing or non-aligned when feeding into shellplate. Their system really sucks IMO. 

Yup. Case feeders and bullet feeders are sensitive to motion. Both mine run like clock work...so my bench must be stable...

I use a Lyman Gen 6 powder trickler and also have had zero issues when running it and a press at the same time. When I load precision rifle stuff I use the Bald Eagle scale which is very sensitive and measure to .01 grains. Again zero issues with that scale and press running.

I often measure bulk ammo powder randomly to confirm I’m still where I should be, and 99.9% of the time I’m with in .05 grs one direction or the other.

To each his own. That’s the beauty of this. But to say something can’t work because it didn’t work for you is a real issue in this community. Less than a .1 of a grain powder difference while loading bulk ammo is good enough for me.

3 hours ago, iflyskyhigh said:

Yup. Case feeders and bullet feeders are sensitive to motion. Both mine run like clock work...so my bench must be stable...

I use a Lyman Gen 6 powder trickler and also have had zero issues when running it and a press at the same time. When I load precision rifle stuff I use the Bald Eagle scale which is very sensitive and measure to .01 grains. Again zero issues with that scale and press running.

I often measure bulk ammo powder randomly to confirm I’m still where I should be, and 99.9% of the time I’m with in .05 grs one direction or the other.

To each his own. That’s the beauty of this. But to say something can’t work because it didn’t work for you is a real issue in this community. Less than a .1 of a grain powder difference while loading bulk ammo is good enough for me.

Ha! The type of person who reloads tends to be very “alpha” with a drive for perfection. A very judgmental type. Don’t take offense to it. We all get it dished to us at one time or another. 

But I agree 100% with your statements about if it works for you, don’t change. Life is too short. 

• 4 weeks later...