Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why 40+ round mags?

2 hours ago, ARBilly said:

Gunmagwarehouse has all the ETS mags and the 40 round may be on sale. I found the 40 round to easy to load 40 rounds and seat on a closed bolt. 

I also just got a couple of 40 rounders ETS. I experienced what you did, even with 40 rounds in it, it's easy to insert and seat on a closed bolt. With my the 33 rounders Glock mags, I have to download them to 30 on "start empty" stages or stages with reloads. Need to buy more ETS!

I prefer to use ETS 40s rather than factory Glock 32s and a TF extension... I've been playing the gun games a long time, and the junction between the extended mag base and mag tube, even if beveled, is a potential problem for an aw crap if the follower does not make the transition smoothly....

Edited by Les Snyder
On 6/28/2020 at 7:46 AM, TRUBL said:

two words: spring life

Just because you have the ability to run 56 rounds......don't make a habit of it, you'll wear out springs in no time. Same is true with 33's and a plus 10 base pad......run it at 40 rounds and you will wear the spring out fast. BUT.....take a 56 round mag and put 35 to 40 in it and your spring will last for a very long long time.

That's why I change all my springs once a year.

I personally run a larger mag in our local carbine matches because the round counts can get upwards of 50 or so per stage. But at USPSA matches, I generally just run a Glock 33 with taran plus 10 and load it to 40. Gives a few extra shots if needed. 

On 7/3/2020 at 3:23 PM, Neomet said:

Because nothing looks funnier/more ironic than someone who went to the expense of a 5lb PCC shooting with a 60 round (loaded) mag on a 30 round COF?? 🙂

Well, if you are really good, it's a 30 round COF.  For us mere mortals those extra rounds aren't just a convenience but a necessity.  Perhaps 60 rounds is a bit much but 40 or so is more than useful.