Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why 40+ round mags?

Because you can? I run 40 and 50 round mags so I have extra rounds on board in case of make ups. My stage plan is if I think I’d need a reload in a worst case scenario then grab a bigger mag. PCC means no reloads unless WSB has a mandatory reload.

I find that a 40 is just about perfect for USPSA. Not so long they're unreliable, enough for makeups, and a nice size to beer can grip for classifier reloads.

I've been using 30s with extensions, but I got some ets 40s coming to try out.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, TeedOff said:

Because you can? I run 40 and 50 round mags so I have extra rounds on board in case of make ups. My stage plan is if I think I’d need a reload in a worst case scenario then grab a bigger mag. PCC means no reloads unless WSB has a mandatory reload.

Exactly for this reason^^^^

It's the same reason open shooter use hi cap mags.

Why not reloads as part of the "game"?  Disclaimer: infrequent SS USPSA participant.
Because PCC being a no limits drag race is part of the appeal. If I was a fan following arbitrary made up rules, I wouldn't be shooting a rifle at a pistol match.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Spring life!!!......running a 38-40 round mag at 35+ rounds all the time (and we all do it) will shorten the life of your spring. I have 4 56 round mags.....run them typically at no more than 40 rounds, easy no think capacity for a 28-32 round COF and in 2 years, have not replaced the springs.

We regularly have PCC hoser matches locally with 40-50 rounds per stage and some local outlaw matches with same high round counts. Also we both shoot UML 3-gun 2x4 and can shoot most of the stage with PCC eliminating some rifle, SG, or pistol. 

Plus I can & hate to reload.

gerritm 

There is also 2x4 3gun where you can often replace 2 guns with the pcc (pistol and shotgun or rifle) and at major matches with big 100+ second stages this can lead to a lot of shooting with the bullet hose. There is almost always a place to reload but why add that variability risk to the plan. I often find with a 50 I wish I had a few more.

14 hours ago, inertia said:

There is also 2x4 3gun where you can often replace 2 guns with the pcc (pistol and shotgun or rifle) and at major matches with big 100+ second stages this can lead to a lot of shooting with the bullet hose. There is almost always a place to reload but why add that variability risk to the plan. I often find with a 50 I wish I had a few more.

If you are shooting Glock mags my 2 MBX Mega extensions set up right will reliably hold 57 rounds

gerritm

Well, I'll add my two cents.  For SCSA I use six Glock 17 round mags loaded to 10 rounds.  Why?  I've never need more than that.  If I did, that stage is a loser.  I don't shoot USPSA with a PCC.  If I did, 40 rounds would be enough for any legal stage.  You just don't miss much with a PCC.  I RO shooters with larger capacity mags, and they are ungainly going around obstacles, etc.  Plus, quite a few of them have seating problems.  One shooter with a 54 round spliced mag has particular problems getting his mags seated.  I don't shoot 3-gun so I don't know if larger capacity is advantageous.

I bought two ETS 40 round mags to use twice a year at outlaw falling steel matches.  Both matches got cancelled because of Covid.  One of my clubs opens up on Friday, so I'll get a chance to try them out.

One other thing I've noticed in observation and personal experience is use 115 or 124 in mags that hold 47 plus.  Use RNs instead of JHPs.  147gr bullets make the mag too heavy and may cause feeding problems.

Well One of my clubs opened today and I got a chance to try out my two new 40 round ETS mags.  Even fully loaded with 147gr 144PF loads they performed flawlessly. I tried everything I could to make these mags hiccup.  Nothing.  I wish I could say the same for my SGM and Glock 33 round mags.  I can't get through one mag load without two or three jams where the bullet hits the feed ramp and gets set back.  BTW, they are easily reloadable at 40.

• 1 month later...

So I ran Single Stack for two years and yes became competent with reloads. Shot a borrowed PCC once, now I have 3 of them, 2 with LARGE magwells 

and a c-more 64 years old and finally went to a dot and no reloads

two words: spring life

Just because you have the ability to run 56 rounds......don't make a habit of it, you'll wear out springs in no time. Same is true with 33's and a plus 10 base pad......run it at 40 rounds and you will wear the spring out fast. BUT.....take a 56 round mag and put 35 to 40 in it and your spring will last for a very long long time.

In general, people want high capacity so they have makeups available. If I shot a 32 round course with a 35 round mag,  can only take 3 makeups before I have to reload. If I had shot Production and the stage broke down into 8 - 8 - 8 - 8, I would have 9 makeup shots available without any extra reloads, although not all at once - I could take 3 from any one position. It’s the same reason why many Open shooters will still choose to do a reload on a stage that’s 1-2 rounds under their big stick’s capacity - shooting at or close to your capacity is risky. 

1. Misses. With 10 extra rounds in the gun you can be agressive on stages with tiny distant steel.

2. Spring life. Fully compressing a spring that long shortens it’s life, so a larger mag can be downloaded a few rounds... and still carry 40+ rounds which means you have a few makeup shots.

3. Unloaded starts. I personally run +10s on OEM glock mags, so they hold 42. On stages with an unloaded start, I’ll download them to 38 or so to ensure that they seat easily when you’re rushing through an unloaded start. Stuffed completely full... sometimes they fall out on the first shot if you didn’t drive them home ultra hard.

Edited by MemphisMechanic