Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Brass Problems Loading 9mm

XrayDoc88

15 minutes ago, HesedTech said:

Vmax606

I believe many if not most here on the forum have found the U dies and Dillon dies pretty much work on all the range brass. 

I’ve loaded from .355 - .358 with all kinds of 9mm brass, thin to thick, and while CBC in particular is a pain they all load just fine. 

Now I will state I have a Mighty Armor 9mm die and it is not undersized in any way so paying very close attention to the crimp is essential to prevent setback with that die. The solution was to use my Dillon sizing die (Lee U die works great too).

Whatever ! I have been shooting for over 30 years and over half a million rounds and that is what I have found. BTW, crimp DOES NOT prevent set back, neck tension does.

To the OP :  

Go find a sizing die that is .002" bigger than the die you have now, your problem WILL go away, if not I will pay for it.

Edited by Vmax606

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, Vmax606 said:

Whatever ! I have been shooting for over 30 years and over half a million rounds and that is what I have found. 

Those are rookie numbers to some. I guess I have been reloading and shooting in some form or fashion for about 45 years or so. And god only knows how many pistol, rifle and shotgun rounds I have loaded. And I’m a novice compared to many.
  You are entitled to your opinion But Hesedtech is right. The vast majority of us on here do load several different HS with a single die. We have long since figured out how to deal with thin vs thick case walls, fatter bullets, coated bullets, yadda, yadda.  
  We tend to listen to those who have been proven to be knowledgable.

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

We have long since figured out how to deal with thin vs thick case walls, fatter bullets, coated bullets, yadda, yadda.  

So, What have you figured out about the problem that the OP has ? What causes it  ? Because he still has the same problem.

Edited by Vmax606

2 hours ago, Vmax606 said:

Whatever ! I have been shooting for over 30 years and over half a million rounds and that is what I have found. BTW, crimp DOES NOT prevent set back, neck tension does.

A bit sensitive?

Have you used a Mighty Armor die? Yes neck tension is what is all about and that’s why I stopped using the MA die, just too difficult to perfect the crimp, and yes one can use crimp to prevent setback. However it damages the bullet, especially coated and this is why we auto shooters don’t over crimp.

This is a hobby so please ease up a bit. 

23 minutes ago, HesedTech said:

A bit sensitive?

Have you used a Mighty Armor die? Yes neck tension is what is all about and that’s why I stopped using the MA die, just too difficult to perfect the crimp, and yes one can use crimp to prevent setback. However it damages the bullet, especially coated and this is why we auto shooters don’t over crimp.

This is a hobby so please ease up a bit. 

Actually this maybe the die that he needs to use for the thick brass so it would not size the brass too much and cause the bulge.

Sorry about being touchy, but just because I know FOR SURE what causes the problem.

The die he has now may be correct for most of the brass, but it is too small for that particular brand of brass so that is why I suggested a bigger die if he wants to use that thick brass (CBC, Tula and a few others).

Edited by Vmax606

1 hour ago, Vmax606 said:

So, What have you figured out about the problem that the OP has ? What causes it  ? Because he still has the same problem.

I would love to run his press and see. I run CBC through my Udies all the time with virtually no issues. I only adjust Bell and crimp a little if running a coated .356 bullet. 
OP will get it figured out FOR SURE with boards help and it won’t require different dies for different bullets unless he just wants to. His problem can be adjusted out of the press.

Thanks everyone for hanging in here with me.  I appreciate every comment.  I may try using my Redding dies.  I just wanted to keep them setup for my Forster press.  Plus, I bought new Dillon dies with the XL 750.  They are working for thin brass.  I had no idea that the minor tolerance differences between head stamps could be so troublesome.  If I didn't own a lot of Magtech ammo, I wouldn't care if CBC didn't work.  I'll keep trying to get one set of dies and adjustments to work for everything, but it may just not be possible.  This may be stupid, but I wonder if successfully loading thin and thick  brass with the same dies has anything to do with how old the dies are?  Do dies "loosen" up a bit after thousands of resizing operations?  Maybe my brand new Dillon resizer is just a little too tight?

Hang in there and figure it out @XrayDoc88.  You shouldn't be having that much issue from loading a 125 gr bullet in CBC brass.  The issue with thicker CBC brass usually shows up more when loading a heavier bullet deeper.  I have a Dillon with Dillon dies and I'm able to load any brass I want, and most people are also able to load any brass they want.  It's not any special trick, it just loads fine and should load for you too.

Edited by BJB

18 hours ago, XrayDoc88 said:

I'm beginning to believe that CBC brass must gradually thicken towards the base and the .356" bullet base simply can't fit that deep. 

Yes it does. Now you may not realize this  but you have hit on a no cost answer to your problem.You and quite a few others are misunderstanding

something that is ovisus to some others.Your Redding sizing die sizes the case closer to the rim than the Dillon were your problem is.The Dillon and Lee

sizes the diameter of the case smaller.therefore increasing bullet pull and only requiring removing the flair. Giving you the coke bottle appearance.

35 years ago we had steel dies that required a crimp to hold the bullet and you were doing more than removing the flair.Evan for 9mm. this is what

Mighity has done.      a case of what was old is new again.

Edited by AHI

On 4/26/2020 at 8:23 PM, HesedTech said:

BTW the best wet tumbler cleaner by far is Brass Juice. I’ve tried the various  home recipes and they just don’t beat juice. 

Here’s the dies I found work best for me:

Dillon resizing die.

MBF powder funnel, although I hear others are now making equally or better ones.

Hornady bullet seating die with micro adjustable addition 

Dillon taper crimp die.

That combination worked best on my 650 and 1050 with the fewest gauge failures. 

HT:

I'm curious if you still used the stock, Dillon Expander/Swage Backup die in the #3 station of your 1050?

Thanks!

On 4/26/2020 at 11:23 AM, RangerTrace said:

Add a U-die and see if your problem goes away.  

Trace:

Are you using the Dillon Expander/Swage Backup in Station #3 of your 1050, along with the Lee U Die?

thanks!

I see you also using the u die on another thread.

Yes I use the stock Dillon expander backer at the swage station. Without it the swager really doesn’t work well, so some sort of backer is a must. 

There is only one difficulty with the swage backer, brass varies in head thickness. Different manufacturers have different specs on their brass and with the backer fully touching one base it may not work in another. Setting the depth is a bit of a comprise.

I also use then Mr. Bullet feeder powder funnel instead of the Dillon. It both bells and expands the brass for the bullet. What it does is not only help the bullet rest in the brass it also allows it to be pressed in a bit more accurately into the brass at the seating station. 

I understand another manufacturer is making an improved version so they would be worth trying out.  
https://shootingsportsinnovations.com/alpha-dropper-powder-funnel/

Good luck and have fun making it work for you. 

BTW the only brass I have “bulging” problems with is CBC. Once I found right bullet combo which seats the longest issue went away. 

Edited by HesedTech

11 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

Trace:

Are you using the Dillon Expander/Swage Backup in Station #3 of your 1050, along with the Lee U Die?

thanks!

Nope.  I wanted to, but couldn't figure out exactly what I needed to order, so I never did....

• 2 weeks later...