Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Low Ready Safety Condition

RickT

I realize rimfire and PCC don't require safety manipulation although USPSA requires PCC to start with the safety on.  The introduction of rimfire is before my time, but I'm wondering if anyone recalls that begin discussed at the introduction of these divisions?  Of course the low ready position is "safer", but these are firearms generally with no other mechanical safety.  If rimfire was initially introduced as a starter division wouldn't it have made sense to require safety manipulation?  Just curious.

Some rimfires had ackward safety positions. The ones using safeties similar to 1911 had a speed advantage. Even the Ruger with a post had a disadvantage compared to the paddle lever on the Brownings. With all semi-auto rimfires being single action it was either all use them or none use them. And they were not being drawn from a holster. They elected none. Maybe if then there was the aftermarket like there is now they might have decided all. But there was not. Almost all aftermarket parts then were either for Ruger or S&W 41. I think they made the correct call.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, photoracer said:

Some rimfires had ackward safety positions. The ones using safeties similar to 1911 had a speed advantage. Even the Ruger with a post had a disadvantage compared to the paddle lever on the Brownings. With all semi-auto rimfires being single action it was either all use them or none use them. And they were not being drawn from a holster. They elected none. Maybe if then there was the aftermarket like there is now they might have decided all. But there was not. Almost all aftermarket parts then were either for Ruger or S&W 41. I think they made the correct call.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

That's pretty much what I expected r.e. rimfire; .  PCCs are a bit of a mystery, but I'm really only familiar with AR semi-autos.  Of course nothing prohibits a steel challenge competitor from using the safety.

I think that safety off and finger out of trigger guard is the best combo for SCSA rimfire/PCC. In USPSA you have to realize that there is not an aiming flag and that PCCs are not always being pointed at the ground (stock on hip type positions, etc.) nor squarely down range when they are pointed at the ground. Due to the variety of start positions with PCC in USPSA I think it is wise to have them start with safety on.