Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coleman 4-h Charity Match

The Coleman Gun Club in Coleman, TX, hosts a match each year to benefit the Coleman County 4-H club. The match is, well, a bit unorthodox. In fact, it's not a USPSA sanctioned match, as a couple of the stages are a bit illegal - but a heck of a lot of fun, nonetheless. Every stage is 40 rounds, 200 points - that's 40 rounds, minimum. Also, you can "buy your way to the top". Well, not really - you still have to shoot the best score, but for $10, you can buy a reshoot on any stage - and you can do that as many times as you like. In fact, it's encouraged - since every reshoot means more money raised for the 4-H club.

This was my first time shooting the match - it's been held at least since 2001 (that's as far back as the match results go). You can check out the official site, and this year's stage diagrams at the 2005 CGC 4-H match page.

I was squadded on squad 6 - we started on the (in)famous train stage, which was a total hoot. It's fixed time - you start in a "train car", strong hand on the brake release, gun on a shelf in front of you. It's self start. You yank the rope, grab the gun, and start hosing. The train builds up some good speed. The last targets flash by so quick, it's all you can do to get your sights on them. High score for this stage was somewhere in the low hundreds. I shot a 78, which, given I made two reloads in the process (shooting L-10) wasn't so bad.

Next was stage 1, "Make It Stop", the so-called "steel stage", that included the much bashed steel pickets. The challenge on this stage was being patient enough to hit moving plates behind a hardcover steel picket fence. It was fun, but ate my lunch - I had problems with the poppers (which you could only see the tops of), and then went to "panic shoot" mode as my extra-round-sensitive shooting plan fell apart. It was still fun - especially realizing I'd stuck my 6th mag in the gun, and finished w/ 3 rounds in it. Heh heh.

Stage 2 was called "You Gotta Love It" - which, after "Make It Stop", you kinda did. The stage was a close up hose fest, ending in a 4-target windmill that achieved Mach 5 once it started going. I had a jam on my first time through - apparently, it took me a moment to realize it, as I still "shot" the whole array before realizing the gun wasn't going off anymore :) I ended up tracking the last target on the windmill into a noshoot, and took a penalty as well. I reshot the stage, took five seconds off my time, and shot clean. Sweet :)

Next up was stage 3, "Get 'er Done", AKA "The Big Wad/Wall 'O Targets". 40 targets arrayed in a wall. One shot each. You had to shoot from 3 places to see them all, and remember your order. I executed well - had 1 miss, where I'd called a hit on the last target from my first position (only the A/B zone was available), but it was slightly low in the target and was fully in the target below the one I was aiming at. The trick here was to identify all the targets, and pick an efficient order that you'd be able to pick out at full speed. Check out the pictures of this one :) Dan Warren (the MD) swears he won't do this to us again - scoring it was a total PITA.

Then the lunch break.... Lunch was provided - barbeque sandwiches and trimmings, chips, cookies, tea and soft drinks. Nicely done.

Stage 4 - Crossfire - was... hmmm. There was a big donut shaped steel gong that was used a vision barrier for a bunch of steel targets, and there were two really cool movers that used a screen door closer to move two targets *slowly* between cover behind no-shoots. Neat targets. You had to move between 3 windows to engage all the targets. This was another tough one for an L-10 shooter - you had two forced standing reloads, and plenty of opportunity to get screwed up. I ended up with 2 mikes on the far targets (rushing) and one popper - which is just strange because I could swear I watched the thing fall... must've been an angle with the hardcover gong or something....

And, finally, we finished on the ultra-cool and insane "Coleman Classifier" - stage 5, "Back to Basics". 20 targets in two rows of ten, one above the other, at about 3-4 yards from the shooter. 2 rounds each. Hosefest. I shot it in 14-ish, 1 down. Awesome. Take the extra reloads out, and I'd have been approaching Open class scores, there.... ;)

All of the match winners - Open, Limited, Limited-10, Production - were on Squad 6. I had a great time at the match, and would definitely shoot it again!!! Highly recommended for a great time!!!

The triumphant Squad 6:

post-4828-1128968281_thumb.jpg

Top, L to R - Roy Steadman (Shred), Mike Moore (old shooter), Marc Jaschke, Scott Reese, Dave Re (XRe). Bottom, L to R - Sam Washburn, Sheldon Carruth (GeneralChang), Steve Speer

Edited by XRe

This was my third year to shoot Coleman (and the first with good weather) and I agree, it is a totally awesome match. I shot terrible but had a great time and want to thank the 4-H'ers and their parents/sponsors/friends for putting on such a great match. It is well worth the 400 miles or so I travel to shoot this match. We from the valley plan to be back next year.

Nenette

McAllen, Texas

My second time at the match, and 2nd 2nd place :o. Anyway, it's a total blast to do that every once in a while, and the train is exactly why Fixed Time needs to be in the rulebook. I have some video of the train I'll be getting up later tonight..

This was my second year for the match, first was year before last. Man, this match is fun! I highly recommend it for anyone that likes to shoot high round count stages.

Does anyone have the total results? The overalls are posted on their website but not individual scores. I guess they will have them up sometime but I shot on Saturday with the R.O.s & wasn't there Sunday to see the results. If someone has them, I would sure appreciate them posting them or even emailing them to me. Thanks, MLMiller

Shred,

You didn't reshoot enough. :P

I thought I was out of ammo. :(. I also thought my general suckage and equipment problems had me a lot further than 30 points out, or I might have looked harder for that extra box I didn't find until I got home...

Here's the train video. Two runs, the second of "Mr Lim-10" himself, one of the few people to choose to shoot Limited-10 at a 40-rounds-per-stage match, XRe.

ColemanTrain.WMV

That was a really fun match for me, even though I didn't shoot all that great. Wow, definitely a lot of stuff there beyond my skill level, but everyone was super nice and it was a fun, casual match atmosphere. Many kudos to the Coleman folks for putting together a great match and super challenging stages! "Make it stop" really kicked my butt the first time, but I got some pay-back on those damn Texas Stars by buying a reshoot! I had to reshoot the Train stage just because it was so fun! :D

Way to go, Austin "Super Squad!" ;)

[Two runs, the second of "Mr Lim-10" himself, one of the few people to choose to shoot Limited-10 at a 40-rounds-per-stage match, XRe.

Man, if I had $10 for every time someone said "You're shooting L-10? Why in the heck would you want to do that?!?!?!" at the match, I'd have enough cash to buy an Open rig and plenty of ammo <_<:lol::lol::lol:

Nice vid :)

Y'all did a good thing by shooting in this match and helping 4-H. These kids are all business, they know the safety rules, and they can be trusted to walk around at matches with guns and ammo without any problems. Some of them are Olympic-class. In a few years these young bucks will be showing up at your matches and kicking our *sses!