Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark 7 powder drop on a Dillon 750

Anyone ever think of using this on a Dillon machine? They seem to be much more accurate than the over complicated Dillon powder measure.

9A145054-63D4-410C-A42E-D10424C3C339.jpeg

Edited by CZGeoege
Grammar and spelling

Why?  It's ridiculously expensive, harder to set up, fussy to adjust, not any more accurate, and doesn't have the option of a Uniquetek micrometer adjuster.  And the powder funnel is (or used to be) $50 (it's basically the same as the $14 Dillon funnel; both are steel). 

I've been using my Dillon measure on an Evo, and it works just fine.  And a Dillon case feeder would be perfect on an Evo, as well. 

If it were me, I'd look at the RCBS Uniflow ($100).  With the case-activated powder drop ($90), and micrometer adjustment ($50) and an extra large Dramworx pyrex powder hopper ($45) it adds up fast... but it's still way less than the Mk 7 option, and less clunky than the Dillon APM.

Or substitute the corresponding red-painted stuff (Hornady, not Lee) and shave a few $$$ off the above.

4 hours ago, cbrussell said:

I was wondering the same thing regarding installing one on my Dillon 1050.

While I haven’t tried my Mark7 PM on my Dillon 1050, I have tried a Hornady PM (which are about the same size or maybe smaller than the M7). They don’t fit with the primer feed tube in place. It will work if you aren’t priming.

For me, I plan to run a bunch of 30-06 soon on 1050. I like the way the Hornady PM drops Varget so I plan to run it in 2 passes. Prime, then the rest. 

I don’t have any experience with 650/750. I do know the Hornady PM fits a 550 even with the Priming system attached. 

Someone should measure that distance before they buy a M7 PM. 

Funny. Over in the MK7 forums its people complaining of the Mk7 mechanical powder measure and rigging up Dillons on their Mk7s.

There's a guy that tested the Dillon vs the Dillon with the Arredondo micrometer/bar, and the RCBS competition drum type with micrometer. I think Dillon came out on top, but they were all so statistically close as to be a practical tie. His setup is pretty tight too with all the grounding he did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSJ82CY07tA

Dillon’s PM works great for everything except stick powder. Hornady is better with stick in MY experience. I have tested and happy with Hornady. Funny I find Dillon works better than Hornady with flake powder.

I am running surplus 4451 like powder now using my M7 digital PM (same mechanics as mechanical one but maybe a little better). It seems to be very accurate. Next I will try Varget. 

Edited by DJRyan13

On 4/25/2020 at 9:59 PM, HOGRIDER said:

I'm sure tmz would give some first hand knowledge of why he's running Dillon PM's on both Mark7s..............

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/284657-sitting-around-having-a-beer-then-it-all-came-to-me/

💡

I suspect he is in the same boat as many others... either he didn’t want to pay for the Mark7 PM (you can order without PM) or folks don’t want to buy expander die. 

14 hours ago, Smeeg said:

I thought most people loved the hornady better than the Dillon 🤷‍♂️

pros/cons to both. IMO Dillon (if you use the safety rod thing) is safer. I have had Hornady’s stay in upward position which means next round doesn’t charge. Had to polish up the drop system. 

I think some folks are already so invested in one particular system and just want to stay with what they are comfortable with. For me, I started with Hornady years ago and was pissed when it didn’t fit my 1050. Had it so well tuned I was confident in what it did. 

• 1 year later...
On 4/25/2020 at 7:19 PM, CZGeoege said:

Anyone ever think of using this on a Dillon machine? They seem to be much more accurate than the over complicated Dillon powder measure.

9A145054-63D4-410C-A42E-D10424C3C339.jpeg

A bit late to contribute to your question.

With Vertan SP2 my Dillon was leaking a bit and I first thought about coating the bar but then bought this one.

https://xrayparts.it/en/measuring-equipment/2311-powder-dropper-mk2-x-ray-parts.html

It's basically a Dillon just CNC machined with tight tolerances and very precise.

7 hours ago, Derrick67 said:

A bit late to contribute to your question.

With Vertan SP2 my Dillon was leaking a bit and I first thought about coating the bar but then bought this one.

https://xrayparts.it/en/measuring-equipment/2311-powder-dropper-mk2-x-ray-parts.html

It's basically a Dillon just CNC machined with tight tolerances and very precise.

Interesting. 249 Euro? About $290 US... ouch.