Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Maxamundi's 60 Day PCC Countdown

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can't thank you enough for doing these videos. Not only is the physical instruction so amazing but the mental aspect is just as important. It wakes us up, me anyway, and makes us really think about what we are doing.

1 hour ago, egd5 said:

If you're zeroed at 75, what does your gun do at 10? where do you aim?

I hold a little high. My close holds are pretty much subconscious at this point, although I do program during the stage walkthrough where exactly I want to see my dot on each target. 

You can never get around your offset holds at close distances. The further in you bring your zero, the more blown out the rest of your holds are. Just spend a bit of time getting used to holding a bit high up close. It's a lot easier to hold 2 inches off at 10 yards than it is at 75 haha.

20200504_074959.jpg

Well, the 75yrd zero certainly isn't what I would've guessed lol, but makes a lot of sense the way you explained it. Seems it's more or less close enough to a 25yrd zero so it's pretty easy for most of us to at least zero there.

I actually just switched to a 25yrd zero a few weeks before the covid-pause-button hit after a long time (too long in hindsight) of playing around with different zeros at 15, 18, and 20yrds and like the the 25yrd zero much better. For me it was just a pragmatic thing: while a closer-in zero seemed easier for awhile (especially going back and forth between pistol irons), there becomes a point where it's just too much guessing between hold-overs and hold-unders while running around on the clock; I finally decided that if I was going to be dealing with a hold-over at shorter distances no matter what, I might as well make it as consistent as possible and just take most of the hold-unders out of the equation. At local matches around my area going out to 25yrds happens regularly, going further not as much, so knowing I'm never going to be printing lower than 2ish inches on close hoser targets and just holding a little high out to 25 simplifies things a great deal and removes a bunch of the guessing I was doing before with a closer zero. It took maybe two practice sessions to get used to just holding a little high on most things (like at the top of plates and such) and really wasn't a hard adjustment at all, and my accuracy improved quickly and I had a lot less holes in the cover on partials and tighter shots. Small poppers out past 25 are easy-peesy and even partials out there are easier to manage because most times I can hold right on the line knowing the hole will be above the dot, not below.

I think I was looking at it as "holding high most of the time" as seeming wonky so I wanted to zero closer, but when I looked at it as "way less guessing" the lightbulb went off.

BTW/FWIW, a guy I was talking to about it who kind of convinced me to try it had mentioned he had figured it out when taking one of your classes lol...

Edit: As an aside, I'm going to have to re-zero in the coming days so I'm going to try to get out to a range that lets me take it to 75. While I still prefer green over red for dots because I really feel the green is faster to pick up, I've grown tired of the limited choices out there for green dots (this could change if the industry offers more choices in green). It's a red dot world, and with the current situation the selection of green dots is just too limited.

I was trying to find a dot I could put on a new CO pistol I'm getting together, and looking at green ones limited things even further... so after checking out a buddies' I ordered up a couple 5 moa SRO's and will see how that goes. I don't think I had ever really looked at a red dot larger than 2.5 moa, and was pretty surprised that the larger dot seems to be ok with my slight astigmatism and the SRO definitely gets bright enough for TN sun. This way I can run the same optic on both my CO pistol and MPX because it'll work on both. The smaller RMR-sized green dot Holosun 508T I was looking at $400 is going to be out of stock until June sometime, so figured with availability the price difference of the SRO isn't a big deal... hopefully it works out.

Edited by ck1
10 hours ago, ck1 said:

BTW/FWIW, a guy I was talking to about it who kind of convinced me to try it had mentioned he had figured it out when taking one of your classes lol...

Great to hear! :)

I have mine setup the same way. Setting a zero distance so the highest point of the trajectory is only about 0,5-10" higher  (something within the error of margin for our shooting) than where I zero will provide for a wider range around the zero distance where you don't have to compensate. Then you will have two zeros and a negligible hold-under in between.

Edited by mrd

Great videos!
Thanks for sharing your knowledge and insight!

Sorry if it's already been covered, but what's the specs on your PCC rifle?
It seems to shot really flat [emoji106]

Skickat från min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

13 hours ago, grottulf said:

Great videos!
Thanks for sharing your knowledge and insight!

Sorry if it's already been covered, but what's the specs on your PCC rifle?
It seems to shot really flat emoji106.png

+1 on all accounts.

Would also be interested to hear the specs of Maxamundo's rifle, the buffer system in particular - if he doesn't mind sharing of course. 

Thanks for putting out all the effort.  The level that you put into breaking down the variables really reinforces me to continue to questioning all of the facets of shooting.  It does seem like the elimination of lots of small "loose ends" has a demonstrable positive effect.  

On 5/6/2020 at 11:12 AM, grottulf said:

...Sorry if it's already been covered, but what's the specs on your PCC rifle?
It seems to shot really flat emoji106.png...

The trouble with specs on a rifle is that they are usually built to specific ammo.

I forgot to post my last IG post in this thread. I postponed the series due to lack of ammo and contractors in the house.

Shot local match today in Mesquite at Smoking Gun Club. Gun control not great and hits suffered, but I was happy with the match as a whole and I think I executed my plans pretty well. Lots of room for tuning up and improving before nats.

On 4/27/2020 at 12:27 PM, Maxamundo said:

So far with all my MPX experience, I've been impressed with the softness of recoil, but very unimpressed with the controllability. The recoil is soft, but it seems to "do what it wants" for lack of a better term. I feel like with my match guns, I can make them shoot exactly how I want by changing grip and stance tensions. With the MPX, I feel that even with large changes to my grip and stance, I still get the exact same squishy dot movement and I don't feel in control at all.

MPX’s need to be tuned just like a blow back PCC however the process is different:

115gr @ 1425FPS:

Speer TMJ , Federal 9BPLE, Federal XM9001 and a N340 reload I use a 0.0520 gas plug in 2 of my guns and a 0.0469 in the third with 13% reduced recoil springs in all 3 guns

115 JHP reload with 5.9gr of CFE Pistol  I use a 0.114 (open)  gas plug in 2 of my guns and a 0.0520 in the third with 13% reduced recoil springs in all 3 guns

Same bullet weight, same velocity, same power factor = 47% change to the gas flow based on the power burn rate

9 hours ago, 2011BLDR said:

MPX’s need to be tuned just like a blow back PCC however the process is different:

115gr @ 1425FPS:

Speer TMJ , Federal 9BPLE, Federal XM9001 and a N340 reload I use a 0.0520 gas plug in 2 of my guns and a 0.0469 in the third with 13% reduced recoil springs in all 3 guns

115 JHP reload with 5.9gr of CFE Pistol  I use a 0.114 (open)  gas plug in 2 of my guns and a 0.0520 in the third with 13% reduced recoil springs in all 3 guns

Same bullet weight, same velocity, same power factor = 47% change to the gas flow based on the power burn rate

You're running 164pf in your MPX?