Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need advice on a good suppressor

rovpilot337

Hey all... I am finally looking to dive into the world of suppressors. I have been doing a lot of research and shopping but I wanted to get some first hand advice and suggestions on which to get. This will be my first suppressor and it would be used on a few different guns until each get their own. The main use will be for a 300 blk that I plan on buying / building. I will most likely go with a shorter barrelled pistol. It would also be used on my 308 and 6.5 creed bolt guns when hunting / shooting PRS type matches. Although it will be a 7.62 can, I would probably use it on my 5.56 as well to play around. What would be you guys suggestion for my first can? I'd prefer to stay below $1200 including tax stamp. Thanks.

A really good choice for a bolt gun can that could also work on a short 300 Whisper/BLK is the Thunderbeast Ultra 7.

Very quiet, light and accurate.

A pretty large majority of cans at a PRS match will be Thunderbeast.

I'd stay away from the Ultra series on a semi auto AR as the Ultra's have higher back pressure and can be finnicky to get tuned. Not much of an issue in the 300 BLK but it might become one in a 5.56 AR or other semi auto. Like Tom mentioned TBAC is beloved in the PRS game so if you're primarily suppressing the bolt guns give the new TBAC Dominus a go. That one was designed to limit back pressure. Or you can go Ultra but you will need to know how to tune the semi autos. 

Another solid option is the Dead Air Nomad. The Dead Air offerings have a much lower back pressure so if you do plan to shoot a bunch of semi auto's it's a good option. It's super quiet and with the option to use their KeyMo mount it's a great value.

I would have recommended the SiCo Omega but I just got mine stuck on 2 of my rifles for the last damn time. The Omega might be my favorite can ever if the ASR wasn't so damn finnicky about either getting stuck or shooting off. It's the best tone and least recoil in any suppressor I've shot. Phenomenal design minus the damn ASR. 

Remember, with suppressors you have trade offs. Pick the 2-3 you want to prioritize. 

• Weight
  • Durability
  • Cost
  • dB Reduction

These are the things you don't need to compromise on. Every suppressor worth buying should be exceptional here. 

• Mounting system
  • Quality
  • Warranty

2 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

I'd stay away from the Ultra series on a semi auto AR as the Ultra's have higher back pressure and can be finnicky to get tuned. Not much of an issue in the 300 BLK but it might become one in a 5.56 AR or other semi auto. Like Tom mentioned TBAC is beloved in the PRS game so if you're primarily suppressing the bolt guns give the new TBAC Dominus a go. That one was designed to limit back pressure. Or you can go Ultra but you will need to know how to tune the semi autos. 

Another solid option is the Dead Air Nomad. The Dead Air offerings have a much lower back pressure so if you do plan to shoot a bunch of semi auto's it's a good option. It's super quiet and with the option to use their KeyMo mount it's a great value.

I would have recommended the SiCo Omega but I just got mine stuck on 2 of my rifles for the last damn time. The Omega might be my favorite can ever if the ASR wasn't so damn finnicky about either getting stuck or shooting off. It's the best tone and least recoil in any suppressor I've shot. Phenomenal design minus the damn ASR. 

Remember, with suppressors you have trade offs. Pick the 2-3 you want to prioritize. 

• Weight
  • Durability
  • Cost
  • dB Reduction

These are the things you don't need to compromise on. Every suppressor worth buying should be exceptional here. 

• Mounting system
  • Quality
  • Warranty

When you recommend the Dead Air Nomad, would you go with the Nomad-L or the Nomad-30?

I would have recommended the SiCo Omega but I just got mine stuck on 2 of my rifles for the last damn time. The Omega might be my favorite can ever if the ASR wasn't so damn finnicky about either getting stuck or shooting off. It's the best tone and least recoil in any suppressor I've shot. Phenomenal design minus the damn ASR. 

Unfortunate to spend the time and money required for a suppressor then have this issue. All I can offer to the OP is that my experience for the last 5 years with my Omega has been everything I had hoped for and NO issues. When I chose the Omega I was looking for basically the same features as the OP and it has covered all the bases with the exception of running it on a short barreled pistol because my pistol is only a 7". It has worked great on some of my other guns from multiple barrel length .556's up to a 300win mag. I use it in multiple configurations with & w/o the brake, with just the flat cap, direct thread or using the the ASR mounts, all attachment methods/combo's have been up to my expectations with no regrets.

5 minutes ago, Bentsight said:

I would have recommended the SiCo Omega but I just got mine stuck on 2 of my rifles for the last damn time. The Omega might be my favorite can ever if the ASR wasn't so damn finnicky about either getting stuck or shooting off. It's the best tone and least recoil in any suppressor I've shot. Phenomenal design minus the damn ASR. 

Unfortunate to spend the time and money required for a suppressor then have this issue. All I can offer to the OP is that my experience for the last 5 years with my Omega has been everything I had hoped for and NO issues. When I chose the Omega I was looking for basically the same features as the OP and it has covered all the bases with the exception of running it on a short barreled pistol because my pistol is only a 7". It has worked great on some of my other guns from multiple barrel length .556's up to a 300win mag. I use it in multiple configurations with & w/o the brake, with just the flat cap, direct thread or using the the ASR mounts, all attachment methods/combo's have been up to my expectations with no regrets.

Thank you for the reply. That is very unfortunate as far as the issues with the ASR as it sounds like the Omega is a great suppressor from everyone I talk to. Right now, I have the chance the buy a Griffin Recce 7 from my dealer for almost half price as it is a demo. Before I do, I am trying to read as many reviews as possible before spending the money. He as well said the Omega is his favorite.

I bought a Rugged Surge 7.62 as my first suppressor.  I didn't know anything and decided I wanted the most durable can I could find because I want it to last forever.  It is a great suppressor but it seems very heavy.  Since then I got an Omega 300.  I have run it direct thread and also ASR and it is also a great can and is much lighter, especially direct thread.  I like them both.  I relly don't think you can go wrong with any quality suppressor and you will most likely end up with more than 1. 

Just now, Bentsight said:

DeadAir Keymo mounts will fix that problem for you.

I dont think suppressed 300BO or Bolt gun will help you out much in Multi-Gun  😃

But I used my Silencerco Specwar 7.62 on all rifles I have. Its awesome, but HEAVY.

If I had to do it all over again, I would go with Thunderbeast Ultra 7.

• 2 weeks later...

For sport, the suppressor isn't faster, its a little slower.   The recoil impulse is a bit more drawn out and heavier than a good brake, so if you're looking for a performance advantage suppressors don't really give any.  

That said, I like running one about half the time and use a TBAC Ultra 5.    Frankly its almost as quiet as the previous gen 9" TBAC 30 cal can in the safe, I have zero regrets going with the short can over the longer 7" option.

Its doesn't seem finicky to get a rifle to run properly with it, most of my normal bolt carrier group rifles run well with and w/o the suppressor.... although I do have a very lightweight BCG and buffer on one rifle and its overgassed and will malfunction with the can on it in the non-suppressed gas setting with full power ammo.  That rifle is built for gaming only and isn't optimized for reliability, and with a correct gas setting it runs really well.  I use the Ultra 5 for a 308 precision rifle, multiple 556 uppers in various lengths, and a 300 blackout SBR that's turning out to be quite a quick little rifle for me.   

The downside to the TBAC CB mount is that it can and will loosen up sometimes when it's shot and left to cool, and really needs to be checked before shooting.  TBAC machining and thread tolerances are such that even if it does loosen up a little and you don't catch it, you're still unlikely to have a baffle strike. 

Omega 9k is great choice for 300 BLK.  Never had any problems with it getting stuck on the mount.  Usually when that happens it's due to excessive pressure when installing.  It mounts on a taper, and requires only light pressure to secure it.  If you crank it on real hard, it's going to be a problem to get off.  That's true of any taper fit mount.