Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 in a .45 magazine?

ItZallGooD

I am working on a 1911 in .40 and I am to the point where I am working the feed ramp of the barrel.  With just a little bit of possible polishing I got it to feed long loaded (1.170") 40's from a 45 magazine.  I don't mind loading long but I have a couple of other 40's that will only accept OAL's up to 1.150" 

My question is this,  should I get some 40 magazines before continuing to work the feed ramp should I want to load regular length 40's?

Thanks for any help.

This is a new barrel/build.  I am using Wilson 47's for now.   If I get it to feed from a Wilson 47 will it still feed from a 40 magazine?  I may switch to the Tripp magazines at some point and try SS in 40 minor.  I may just be way over thinking this but I didn't want to wreck a $200 barrel.  This is my first try at building a 1911.  So far everything has gone smoothly and I'm hoping to keep it that way.

probably going to vary with the gun. my sti trojan sorta works with 45 mags, but there is enough sideways wiggle room for bullets to catch the slide-lock from time to time, and if the feed lips are even slightly out of spec the round will feed too high and jam. actual 40 mags should run well with 1.15 length ammo.

Thanks for all of the help.  I will wait to get the correct magazines before continuing the work on the barrel.  

The current situation in the world has freed up some of my time unfortunately.  I was looking to tidy this project up with what I had.  I'll have to reach into my bag patience and see what I have left. LOL

Same here.  I have an old Millennium Custom 40 that works with .45 mags, but a Sig .40 that hiccups with them.  Redoing the feed lips helps, but for 100% reliability I just got some actual .40 mags.

• 3 weeks later...

I have actually fired off 9mm rounds in my double stack .40 cal gun. Not only did they feed and fire off reliably, but the spent brass ejected and my bullets hit a steel target at 15 yards away. You heard that right. The brass was toast though. Good to know that can be done if you're ever in a fire fight and run out of your own .40 cal ammo!

• 4 weeks later...

ItZallgood, I have been using both the Wilson 47Ds as well as the Tripp 10mm System mags with zero issue. The 47Ds hold 9 reliably (No Barney mag) the Tripp System mags hold 10 round and both will fit the box. I load long so that may be the reason. Very little experience with factory length. That is what may make the difference.

Mark