Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI safety in STI frame--no go?

muncie21

I have an older SVI 2011 that I installed the SV single sided-wide safety on and really enjoyed the angle and feel. 

Sooo... I says to myself, why not buy one to install on my Limited STI .  It only took about 5 seconds to figure out that something was wrong after I installed it.  Trigger didn't feel right and the hammer would only drop to half-cock. When I compared the STI safety to the SVI one, I noticed major differences in the action/contour.

So my question for the group- Is this an issue of minor fitting? Or are SV safeties not designed to fit into STI frames and I'm basically screwed?

image2a.jpg.dd2693fbbf07aae855b38ca482646be7.jpg

image1a.jpg

Not a gunsmith but I would look at the sear and see where it is, and compare that before you go any further. I had a fitting issue with Svi thumb safety and it ended up making contact with the sear, that was on an Sti component 2011.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback guys.  I've fit safeties on CZs before but this is my first 1911/2011.  The contour of the safety (internal) is what threw me off, because it was very different than the one I removed.  I viewed the Atlas video just now (thanks 3GN for sharing that) on fitting safeties so might give that a go later this weekend.

Edited by muncie21

13 minutes ago, Glockster1 said:

USPSA says you can't disable grip safeties but there are so many shooters using 1911's/2011's that have pinned grip safeties and match officials don't even checks guns. They only do ammo chrono checks.

Read the rule again. Thumb safety is primary safety on those guns. Primary safety can’t be disabled. Officials don’t check for that because they know better

Read the rule again. Thumb safety is primary safety on those guns. Primary safety can’t be disabled. Officials don’t check for that because they know better

Sarge,
I believe he just wake up when he write post :)
He confuse me in one moment :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Glockster1 said:

I recall the rules saying the factory firearm safeties can't be disabled. That would include the grip safety. 

When applicable, the grip safety may be disabled provided that the
primary safety as described in 8.1.2.5 is operable. Production and
Carry Optics division handguns are explicitly excluded from this
rule (See Appendices D4 and D7, item 22.1).

7 hours ago, forty5cal1911 said:

When applicable, the grip safety may be disabled provided that the
primary safety as described in 8.1.2.5 is operable. Production and
Carry Optics division handguns are explicitly excluded from this
rule (See Appendices D4 and D7, item 22.1).

That must be something newer and updated. 

21 minutes ago, Glockster1 said:

That must be something newer and updated. 

Well, the text changed, but USPSA and IPSC rules have said only the "primary" safety on a pistol has to be working for a very long time.  I just checked the 2001 rulebook (where it was rule 5.2.5)  You may be thinking of IDPA.

Ok well that's good to know thanks. I have always used pinned grip safeties anyways. But like I said before, no match official has ever checked a gun safety mechanism that I've ever seen or even heard of IRL at a range. They only do chrono ammo checks.

Edited by Glockster1

18 hours ago, Glockster1 said:

Ok well that's good to know thanks. I have always used pinned grip safeties anyways. But like I said before, no match official has ever checked a gun safety mechanism that I've ever seen or even heard of IRL at a range. They only do chrono ammo checks.

So even though you thought the grip safety was required you had a pinned grip safety?  OKAY, rules are only for other people.

They check the safeties at Chrono, you just haven't noticed.  Before loading the gun, cock the hammer, safety on, pull the trigger, safety off, then pull the trigger again, it takes about 1 second to do.  Same with the Grock, rack the slide, finger on side of trigger, safety lever not depressed, pull the trigger, depress safety lever, pull the trigger again.  Both methods check if the safety works, whether the hammer drops when the safety is dis-engaged, and lets the Chronoman know if he's going need both hands to pull the trigger or if he can just think about it and the gun will fire.

Nolan

42 minutes ago, Nolan said:

So even though you thought the grip safety was required you had a pinned grip safety?  OKAY, rules are only for other people.

They check the safeties at Chrono, you just haven't noticed.  Before loading the gun, cock the hammer, safety on, pull the trigger, safety off, then pull the trigger again, it takes about 1 second to do.  Same with the Grock, rack the slide, finger on side of trigger, safety lever not depressed, pull the trigger, depress safety lever, pull the trigger again.  Both methods check if the safety works, whether the hammer drops when the safety is dis-engaged, and lets the Chronoman know if he's going need both hands to pull the trigger or if he can just think about it and the gun will fire.

Nolan

I know many people I shoot with that have pinned grip safeties. None of us cared since no one checked. Where I've been they only check chrono. Or if you have n obvious holster placement or gun class issue, they'll ask you to change it. Ok now that's the third and last time I'm saying this. 

On 4/23/2020 at 8:37 PM, muncie21 said:

I have an older SVI 2011 that I installed the SV single sided-wide safety on and really enjoyed the angle and feel. 

Sooo... I says to myself, why not buy one to install on my Limited STI .  It only took about 5 seconds to figure out that something was wrong after I installed it.  Trigger didn't feel right and the hammer would only drop to half-cock. When I compared the STI safety to the SVI one, I noticed major differences in the action/contour.

So my question for the group- Is this an issue of minor fitting? Or are SV safeties not designed to fit into STI frames and I'm basically screwed?

image2a.jpg.dd2693fbbf07aae855b38ca482646be7.jpg

image1a.jpg

I feel confident the SVI safety is like most other premium safeties as they are a bit over-sized and require experienced fitting; usually by a qualified gunsmith.  Remember, this is your primary safety and must pass all safety function tests!

If your determined to try fitting this yourself, then this .pdf contains some excellent instructional information!

https://shop.harrisoncustom.com/images/uploaded/pdf/Extreme Service Thumb Safety_June 2016.pdf

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, tips and videos. 

This wide safety was a 'drop in' for my SV pistol, so I was thinking there might be something wrong when it didn't fit correctly in my STIs. 

I'm going to read/follow the posted tips and get this thing fitted this coming week.  I'll drop a note to let folks know how things end up. Thanks again!

It took a few strokes of the file (blue area) to get the safety to engage fully.  However when I pull the trigger the hammer stops at 'half cock'.  Looking at the two safeties I noticed the SV has a lot more material in the area marked in red.  I suspect this is where I need to file next.  Going to do some more research and if  I still have questions, I'll post them in the gun smith portion of this site.

image2b.jpg.19b9e206c4ebe3a82a300e7ff487505e.jpg

Edited by muncie21