Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA tac ultra fs hc magwell and greg Cote magazines

chomorro

Finally picked up my rock island. This beast is heavy.

I have some brand new greg cote magazines that I didnt realize were not the oem metal base pads when I got them. Said oem so I assumed but I assumed wrong. Came with plastic base pads.

Testing them out, the mags have a hard time locking into place on a closed slide. Have to really slam them home or they will just fall out. With an open slide seems to have the same problem.

I think it's from the extra piece on the rear compared to the metal base pad. Anyone filed these down without issue? Or have a link to metal oem basepad replacements I could purchase?5fbb063b350aae015a2c5b61fe5e6a87.jpga1cfcdab4ba4619a7cf34d78883e1478.jpga7fc06103c505311b9e58338685f2f5e.jpg6d3d6dd0a1823b8284fefcb68547247a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It looks like you can take a little bit off with out messing them up. If you do mess them up Arrendando makes flat basepads that might work, or try calling Advanced Tactical to see if they sell just the basepad, it doesn't look like it by the website but you never know. 

It looks like you can take a little bit off with out messing them up. If you do mess them up Arrendando makes flat basepads that might work, or try calling Advanced Tactical to see if they sell just the basepad, it doesn't look like it by the website but you never know. 
I have been messing with them all day and they seem to function fine as long as I give it a good slam. The weird thing is the original mag doesnt always hold back on empty mag but the news ones do 100% of the time.

Which base pads fit the magwell on arredondo site? I dont see rock island specific. Thank you!

I had the same issue with those mags. The plastic baseplate is a bit wider than the factory metal one. 

The solution was to sand down the sides of the baseplate until the mag seated easily. You dont need to do anything to the front or rear of the baseplate...just the sides.  If I remember correctly it was something like .020 that I had to remove from each side. 

You should still do a quick measurement of the width of the stock metal pad vs. the plastic ones to confirm how much material to remove. Measure, sand, test fit...repeat. 

I had the same issue with those mags. The plastic baseplate is a bit wider than the factory metal one. 

The solution was to sand down the sides of the baseplate until the mag seated easily. You dont need to do anything to the front or rear of the baseplate...just the sides.  If I remember correctly it was something like .020 that I had to remove from each side. 

You should still do a quick measurement of the width of the stock metal pad vs. the plastic ones to confirm how much material to remove. Measure, sand, test fit...repeat. 
Ok cool I might try that. Stupid question but how did you pop the base plates off? I cant figure out how to do it without using a tool and possibly damaging magazine body.....

On 4/23/2020 at 9:40 AM, chomorro said:

Ok cool I might try that. Stupid question but how did you pop the base plates off? I cant figure out how to do it without using a tool and possibly damaging magazine body.....

I didnt remove them. I just did a little sanding with them still attached to the magazine body. 

On 4/24/2020 at 9:59 AM, chomorro said:

These look cool thank you! Toss up between these and the dawson easy off

If you change to an extended basepad where the follower goes down inside of it, you will need the Arredondo insert and you will need to modify it so it doesn't bind with the spring.

I had to file a fair amount off of the Dawson pads, and a little bit off of the Arredondos. My factory magwell was also opened up a bit with a file. With Arredondo spring/follower/insert I could get 21 or 22 into the mags with Dawson pads and like 19 into the ones with Arredondo pads.

I thought Dawson discontinued the Para pads a year or two ago?

Edited by thormx538

If you change to an extended basepad where the follower goes down inside of it, you will need the Arredondo insert and you will need to modify it so it doesn't bind with the spring.

I had to file a fair amount off of the Dawson pads, and a little bit off of the Arredondos. My factory magwell was also opened up a bit with a file. With Arredondo spring/follower/insert I could get 21 or 22 into the mags with Dawson pads and like 19 into the ones with Arredondo pads.

I thought Dawson discontinued the Para pads a year or two ago?
Doesnt look like they have the extended but they have +0 easy off pads still. Those were the ones I was looking at.