Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Between these 3 Open pistol options, which one is the best?

WAlamo

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone!  So, if you are looking for something reliable and with good performance, which of these three options will be better for an Open pistol?  And, why?

1. Atlas Gunworks Chaos
  2. Limcat Razorcat
  3. Bul Armory Bullesteros

with that three selections, without a doubt Atlas Gunworks.

There are a lot of really good gun builders out there that are not nationally known.  They make great guns and don't charge the big $ the 'names' do.  For example, Hellfire Custom Guns is a small operation.  He made a friend of mine a no frills Open gun for $2600.  It runs like a top.  Cheely Custom frame, Caspian slide, KKM barrel, Binary Engineering comp, and all the rest EGW parts.  It had a poly STI grip.  Another example: a gunsmith I send work to fits gunsmith fit barrels using a jig and a mill.  They come out perfect for $150.

7 hours ago, WAlamo said:

Looks good!  is this a middle or large size?  The comp looks very short.

Its a middie.  Its the Atlas comp.

I wanted the gun tri-topped and Don said the Binary comp would leave the area around the ports a little too thin for his liking once cut.  He said the Atlas was extremely close to the Binary and was already tri-topped so we went that way.

Edited by jsykes

I have shot Atlas and Limcat. For me the Limcat was just smoother and felt better. The fit of the limcat seemed to be better as well. I can't say about the finish as I didn't own either of them. I personally shoot Akai guns. 

On 4/20/2020 at 10:29 AM, WAlamo said:

Hi everyone!  So, if you are looking for something reliable and with good performance, which of these three options will be better for an Open pistol?  And, why?

1. Atlas Gunworks Chaos
  2. Limcat Razorcat
  3. Bul Armory Bullesteros

1. They work well, expensive, good CS, all look the same to me, just don't take a taxi ride.....

2. I have owned a "few" Limcats and still do. Happy to share my experiences. Limcats are top shelf and nearly all parts are made in house and more every day. You can get super creative with looks, etc.

3. Chris is local to me and he likes them. I am sure the paycheck helps. You can easily mod them to make lots of STI parts work like grips, etc. The mags are cheap! They are a good value for sure but not much stateside support....yet

54 minutes ago, Posvar said:

.. just don't take a taxi ride.....

😂😂😂

1 hour ago, Bdh821 said:

But she’s cute! 

This is the second link to this shooter that you have made recently.  Thought she might be famous so I looked her up...D-class in CO with zero Open classifiers.  Am I missing the reason why I should value her opinions regarding a Limcat Open gun?

15 minutes ago, Balakay said:

This is the second link to this shooter that you have made recently.  Thought she might be famous so I looked her up...D-class in CO with zero Open classifiers.  Am I missing the reason why I should value her opinions regarding a Limcat Open gun?

👆

Since open guns are sooooo expensive I would recommend you try each one before you purchase along with the MOA of red dot that you prefer. Shoot them in a match if possible. There are a lot of excellent pistol smiths out there but also consider timeliness of repairs, accuracy, gun fit to you, recoil response, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/23/2020 at 7:59 AM, verla said:

Since open guns are sooooo expensive I would recommend you try each one before you purchase along with the MOA of red dot that you prefer. Shoot them in a match if possible. There are a lot of excellent pistol smiths out there but also consider timeliness of repairs, accuracy, gun fit to you, recoil response, etc.

Thats a great idea, except the few matches I have gone to, none of the people have the guns im looking for and if they did I have yet to see one hand their open rig over. lol

I just purchased a Chaos, and I haven't seen seen any. The way I did it was talking to the builders and understanding what their goals are with the engineering / design. Atlas is design to return to true zero. Limcats tend to be flat shooting do to their long slides and long comps and look flashy. Do your research and a lot of the info can be obtained by talking to the builder. Just MY $.02

So I have both an Atlas Chaos, and a Limcat Razorcat.  Both guns are amazing.  I found shooting both guns, that the Limcat is the softer/flatter shooting gun by far.  That being said, I have another Limcat on the way, and will be selling the Atlas.  

I had the Atlas Chaos and sold it and switched to the Razorcat. The Razorcat is definitely softer and flatter than the Atlas. The trigger on the Atlas was a lot better though IMO.

I have both the Chaos and a Razorcat.  Both guns are amazing, but the Limcat just shoots better in my opinion.  I have had a handfull of non open shooters just try both and they all seem to agree the Limcat is a smoother shooting gun.   Another Razorcat is coming,

Over the years I've seen lots of different guns come and go in popularity.   No doubt if you wanna be the envy of the crowd get a Limcat, nothing looks like one,  or if you are driving a Lambo then get yourself an Infinity.  But when it comes to the test of time, and an absolutely reliable tool for shooting open I'd recommend Triangle Shooting sports, Benny Hill.   The question itself says I'm new to open, if that is true you aren't ready for a custom gun because you don't know what works for you, a custom builder could approximate what works for most but in the end it might not be what works for you.  I had too many open Guns 5, so I sold one to a friend to have another one built, it wasn't too long till I has bugging my friend to sell it back, because my search for the magic failed, in truth I had sold the gun that worked best for me, I just didn't know that till I tried out other options.  It is the nature of the open gun shooter to search for a better tool. 

But I have to say most all Limcat owners seem happy with their gun, as do Brazos gun owners, and some of my friends do extremely well with AKAI.  

If I to absolutly get one of the three mentioned I guess it would be an Atlas.

If I were going to pick what I think is the best around I would get and EMG.  Eddie puts more into every gun he has coming out of his shop than any other builder out there.

• 1 year later...

I just started shooting Open this season with the Bul.  It feels perfect in my hand. It shoots soft and flat.  When it runs it makes me feel like a better a better shooter (at least more confident). When it runs.  I’ve had chronic recurring problems with reliability.  I’m currently sleuthing an extraction problem with no end in site.