Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Between these 3 Open pistol options, which one is the best?

WAlamo

Hi everyone!  So, if you are looking for something reliable and with good performance, which of these three options will be better for an Open pistol?  And, why?

1. Atlas Gunworks Chaos
  2. Limcat Razorcat
  3. Bul Armory Bullesteros

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, echotango said:

Of the 3, I would choose the Limcat. 

Why?  And I ask because I have seen just a few shooters with Limcat pistols.  Not saying there aren't many shooters with those pistols, is just my observation at different matches I have attended.

Thats an open ended question with opinions from all over the place.. My advice is talk to people who actually have them, maybe even let you throw some rounds downrange, and go from there.. 

1 hour ago, WAlamo said:

Why?  And I ask because I have seen just a few shooters with Limcat pistols.  Not saying there aren't many shooters with those pistols, is just my observation at different matches I have attended.

Not going to speak bad of anyone or any co.  I have shot the first 2. Have also dealt with both co's. 

Edited by echotango

These threads are always fun!!:eatdrink:

I'm shooting an Atlas - great gun, even better customer service. Haven't owned the others, so can't say but both have great reputations..

Edited by falconpilot

25 minutes ago, falconpilot said:

These threads are always fun!!:eatdrink:

I'm shooting an Atlas - great gun, even better customer service. Haven't owned the others, so can't say but both have great reputations..

I tested their limited pistol Nemesis, it was really good.  I read some reviews from the Chaos which correlate what you said.

For some reason there are more Limcat shooters than Atlas near me.  No one has anything bad to say about either.  That being said, there is not way you could pry a Limcat away from any of the owners.  One father son duo I shoot with often are Open shooters.  The son has a Limcat he adores.  When he decides to shoot PCC at a match, his dad uses the Limcat instead of his Open gun.

Not that this means much, but if I didn't build my own Open guns, I'd buy a Limcat.  Second choice would be a Brazos Custom now that he machines his own slides and frames.  Matt Cheely doesn't build guns anymore.  I like Bedell very much, but he is reluctant to build 9mm major Open guns.  I have nothing against Atlas.  I've met Adam, spoken with him and Cat several times, and examined his guns.  I just think you get better value elsewhere, especially at his current prices.

Edited by zzt

47 minutes ago, WAlamo said:

There is no intention on getting anyone talk bad about a company. 

But this is exactly what you need.  Privately.  Most people who drop 6-8K for a new Open gun are likely reluctant, especially in a public forum, to say "Meh.  I can't tell the difference from my older gun that cost half as much."
You need to hear about bad service, misfit safeties, loose comps, unreturned emails, extractors that don't extract, etc.  Otherwise this thread turns into basically a census of who bought what ..  I bought "______".  The fit and finish is "insert superlative".  "The customer service is stellar."  " It is more accurate than I am"

25 minutes ago, Balakay said:

But this is exactly what you need.  Privately.  Most people who drop 6-8K for a new Open gun are likely reluctant, especially in a public forum, to say "Meh.  I can't tell the difference from my older gun that cost half as much."
You need to hear about bad service, misfit safeties, loose comps, unreturned emails, extractors that don't extract, etc.  Otherwise this thread turns into basically a census of who bought what ..  I bought "______".  The fit and finish is "insert superlative".  "The customer service is stellar."  " It is more accurate than I am"

You are right about that.  So, let me begin with one that is not listed here.

I own a STI DVC Open.  Have it for about 2 years and some extra months now.

The good:

The gun shoots nice, looks good, feels good in my hands.  They removed some weight on these newest models, I'd rather preferred they had left the weight in.

The bad:

Extractor was problematic after 3 months.  I bought an Aftec extractor for it.  The original extractor was so bad that I only needed to push it with my index finger to take it out of the slide.  After putting in the Aftec there were no more extraction problems.

At about 8 months the sight (Cmore RTS2) electronics got damaged.  No water damage or the sight being struck against anything.  Just got crazy, dot turning off/on even when racking the slide.  Cmore replaced it under warranty and they even said "no idea how it went bad".

The Ugly:

About 4 months ago the slide cracked on top from the front all the way back to the second port hole.  Sent it to STI and they sent me a replacement gun.  I had the silver/gold but they offered me the black version, unless I wanted to wait for 6+ months.

So overall, the gun is good for the price.  But since STI has stopped making these type of guns; I have decided to use this one for training and get me a real good Open gun.  I've been thinking about the Atlas Chaos so far.

As stated earlier are any of your above mentioned choices closer to you for repairs,  questions,  support,  etc..I think of the 3 I've seen more limcat guns in my area (not local but regional)  where limcat is a NV made fun and sells is on the east coast, Bul are imported to my knowledge.  If your looking at just those 3 than choose one that appeals to you whether cosmetics, caliber,  grip,  the list goes on. But since everyone else chimes in I shoot a EMG custom (Eddie Garcia) you'll have a wait if you order one,  but they are the best gun hands down no detail left out on Eddie's builds!

I shoot with people that have Atlas and Limcat.  Both seem to shoot great and run.  They have had problems with them but nothing that hasn't been taken care of.  I don't know anyone with a Bul Armory gun.

Whichever one that you choose to go with you will want to be looking at the delivery times if you have any desire to shoot it in competition this year.  

1 hour ago, aandabooks said:

I shoot with people that have Atlas and Limcat.  Both seem to shoot great and run.  They have had problems with them but nothing that hasn't been taken care of.  I don't know anyone with a Bul Armory gun.

Whichever one that you choose to go with you will want to be looking at the delivery times if you have any desire to shoot it in competition this year.  

Chris tilley shoot a Bul Armory now

Also for the record if you are going to spend that kind of money i'd contact don from venom customs and have him build you an open gun for like 2k less than any of those cost

35 minutes ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

Chris tilley shoot a Bul Armory now

Also for the record if you are going to spend that kind of money i'd contact don from venom customs and have him build you an open gun for like 2k less than any of those cost

I looked at them on a couple sites.  Chris Tilley posted one last week on his Facebook site.  Good looking guns.  The prices on them are pretty good.  Lower than the Atlas or Limcat options.  Just don't know enough about them to have a real opinion.

I have read these posts and agree with a lot of things that others have said,  First most open guns today are great guns and run pretty well.  Second try to get your hands on as many different types of open guns that you can, then ask to shoot them.  Third pick a builder that not only has been around a while but that seems to work well with clients.  (If it breaks you want help, because it is a real pain trying to trouble shoot a open gun.  They are like women a little temper) Fourth get one of the best you can afford, even if it means a wait time.  You will be happier in the long run.  Fifth get good mags, most open gun problems running are mag issues.  Sixth...………… Get out there and shoot the thing and don't forget to smile while you are doing it!!!!!  Ok Ok Ok so I guess I have to say it.  What gun's do I like the best for open?   EMG Custom and Cameron's Custom.  Best of luck 

4 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

I looked at them on a couple sites.  Chris Tilley posted one last week on his Facebook site.  Good looking guns.  The prices on them are pretty good.  Lower than the Atlas or Limcat options.  Just don't know enough about them to have a real opinion.

I literally never heard of BUL before the match i shot at tilley range this past weekend

never heard that they were in the open game either

The only downside I've heard about the BUL guns is that they use proprietary mags and some other parts. 

I know several people that shoot Atlas and they love them.  They have gotten a little expensive though.  There are a lot of good options out there for what Atlas charges or less.

Limcat

Venom

Bedell

Akai

Pat Rafferty

and the list goes on.

I recently had Don at Venom build me a gun.  I got what is pretty much a clone of an Atlas for several grand less than what Atlas charges.  Full custom with everything I wanted on it and the finishes I wanted.  He was awesome to work with and got it in a very reasonable time.  I sent him my deposit the first week of December, the parts were ordered a couple days later and I took delivery of it 2/26.

I was all ready to do an Atlas, but then started reading the forums and doing some research and found Don.  Look around, there are a lot of good options out there and not all of them are a year wait or have to cost a large fortune (even though all open guns seem to be a small fortune).

Good luck.

596469844_venomcopy.thumb.jpg.8c70420bb86b325369c7c8c239711de7.jpg

Edited by jsykes

I have a razor cat on the way and I've been very impressed with limcat's customer service. Whenever you have a question they'll gladly answer it for you. It's an open gun so pick one that you like the styling on. Buy once cry once.

16 hours ago, jsykes said:

The only downside I've heard about the BUL guns is that they use proprietary mags and some other parts. 

I know several people that shoot Atlas and they love them.  They have gotten a little expensive though.  There are a lot of good options out there for what Atlas charges or less.

Limcat

Venom

Bedell

Akai

Pat Rafferty

and the list goes on.

I recently had Don at Venom build me a gun.  I got what is pretty much a clone of an Atlas for several grand less than what Atlas charges.  Full custom with everything I wanted on it and the finishes I wanted.  He was awesome to work with and got it in a very reasonable time.  I sent him my deposit the first week of December, the parts were ordered a couple days later and I took delivery of it 2/26.

I was all ready to do an Atlas, but then started reading the forums and doing some research and found Don.  Look around, there are a lot of good options out there and not all of them are a year wait or have to cost a large fortune (even though all open guns seem to be a small fortune).

Good luck.

596469844_venomcopy.thumb.jpg.8c70420bb86b325369c7c8c239711de7.jpg

Looks good!  is this a middle or large size?  The comp looks very short.