Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Colorado 9mm Loaders? And autocomp data!

lwink

1. Hey all, just wondering if there are any front range(ish) Colorado based 9mm loaders on here that would be open to helping a guy out.  I'm more of a long range precision/hunting loader but got supplies years back to load up some 9mm. The time commitment never was worth it for me on my single stage, but did a cleanout of the loading bench yesterday and saw those components still sitting around. Never got around to getting dies, but I could supply the brass, bullets, powder, primers and would only be looking to load up a couple hundred rounds tops.  Be more than happy to trade a 6 pack, some of my remaining powder, or winchester pistol primers (have a full brick) for some time on a dillon or other progressive press where we could knock out a hundred or two rounds in an evening or afternoon. 

Let me know if you may fit the bill and be ok with sharing some tools and info and meeting a local shooter once things around here are back to a "normal" state!

2. The other half of this - anyone have experience with Autocomp and 115 grain hollow points (Hornady XTP) - don't remember why but that's what I have sitting around that I was planning to load.  Feel free to say that's a bad combo or why would you shoot 115's or what not, and recommend a better powder optoin, but that's what I have here and wondering what people with experience may say about this.  Thanks!

Hey Iwink,

I'm up above Ft Collins and just getting my Hornady LnL AP back running, took a few years off of competitions...

I have Horandy's 7th edition and it doesn't mention Win AutoComp, but the Winchester reloading data has a load for the Speer GD HP 115gr... You shooting it out of an open gun or have a comp on yours? Have you done the "kerplunk" test for oal?

I am in no way an "experienced" reloader, but I didn't KaBoom my Glock in S&W 40 for 2k rounds... Just getting 9mm going as I've switched to it for now. I'm using Universal for both... 

Auto Comp Powder.pdf

Thanks for the info - no the gun I was going to load these for doesn't have a comp... and only a 4.5" barrel so I'm vexed why I thought it was a good idea whenever I purchased the powder years back... I could see a longer barrel gettting higher velocity with this, not sure if that will come into play in my scenario though... 

Probably tough now, but I am not opposed to getting a different more ideal powder as it becomes possible of course.

The components you have will be fine for 9mm. WAC works better (and cleaner) at higher pressures/velocities in 9mm. Excellent accuracy. I prefer 124/5 with it vs 115, but you will be good with what you have. There is a lot of data in this forum. Also look for CFE-P data, which is all but identical in 9mm minor.

You’ll have fast accurate ammo that is great for defensively-oriented ammo with that combination. Loaded to minimum it will recoil a lot like factory ammo, which is not bad at all.

If you want poof poof soft ammo? You’ll need to change powders. I wouldn’t. Load it and practice with it.

20 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

You’ll have fast accurate ammo that is great for defensively-oriented ammo with that combination. Loaded to minimum it will recoil a lot like factory ammo, which is not bad at all.

If you want poof poof soft ammo? You’ll need to change powders. I wouldn’t. Load it and practice with it.

22 hours ago, mq105 said:

The components you have will be fine for 9mm. WAC works better (and cleaner) at higher pressures/velocities in 9mm. Excellent accuracy. I prefer 124/5 with it vs 115, but you will be good with what you have. There is a lot of data in this forum. Also look for CFE-P data, which is all but identical in 9mm minor.

Good to know, I don't need mouse fart loads! I was hoping to get pretty hot loads out of this setup, after this and some other threads I've seen seems like I may be fine for a small batch of what I'm wanting.

32 minutes ago, lwink said:

Good to know, I don't need mouse fart loads! I was hoping to get pretty hot loads out of this setup, after this and some other threads I've seen seems like I may be fine for a small batch of what I'm wanting.

Then you’re good to go. WAC, power pistol, AA#7, and Blue Dot are all solid choices for fast defensive-type ammo in 9m under a JHP. 

15 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Then you’re good to go. WAC, power pistol, AA#7, and Blue Dot are all solid choices for fast defensive-type ammo in 9m under a JHP. 

I'll probably load some SD rounds with my WAC. Just need to settle on bullet. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I’m in Commerce City, loading Berrys 147gn hybrid hollow points with Titegroup and CCI primers on a 550. Happy to help any way I can.

FWIW, just recently switched from VV N320 powder, Federal SPP, and Zero 125gn JHP, but only due to the fact I can’t find any of those components locally due to the current drought.

Mac