Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Trigger Pull Gauge to purchase

jrdoran

Lyman all the way.  Nice feature is the avg button.  Test up to 10 times then press AVG and it shows the average trigger pull over the number of times tested.  There's a used on on Amazon right now for $41.70 w/free shipping for Prime members.

1 hour ago, mvmojo said:

Lyman all the way.  Nice feature is the avg button.  Test up to 10 times then press AVG and it shows the average trigger pull over the number of times tested.  There's a used on on Amazon right now for $41.70 w/free shipping for Prime members.

I checked for prime and/or used on Amazon.  No luck.  Help a brother out  🙂

1 minute ago, jrdoran said:

Nice, and it has the "Guaranteed Forever" feature!

I have a ~$50 plastic Wheeler and while it seems accurate and reliable, the way the arm works to mimic your finger is kind of clumsy to fit into a trigger guard. But perhaps that's the nature of all of these? I have zero experience with others. 

I also have no good way to calibrate it but I think that holds true for a lot of lower priced instruments like micrometers and postage scales, you just trust they did it right at the get go and I'm not going to buy calibration weights that cost more than the scale. At the worse it still provides relative information and you round up. 

Edited by Frankly

On 4/19/2020 at 8:41 AM, Service Desk said:

The Lyman electronic is my go-to for trigger work. For verification at the range I use an RCBS Spring style with indicator tab...like this one.

What I use.  

The Lyman electronic gauge is great but a bit fragile.  I've never had a problem with it on my workbench, but I took it to the range once and it stopped working.  Lyman replaced it and it sounded like it was a somewhat common problem.  I also remove the battery when not in use since the first gauge ate batteries.

On 4/19/2020 at 7:13 AM, ltdmstr said:

Depends on what you're trying to do.  If you just want an approximate weight, spring gages are fine.  But they're not particularly accurate.  A static, NRA type weight set is more accurate and consistent.

I’ve got both, the the spring gauge is only as good as your ability to react to the hammer falling and stopping pulling the gauge at the exact same moment 

With a NRA weight set, you hook the gauge on the trigger and slowly lift the gun, if it holds 2lbs, but breaks at 2 1/4 you’ll know 

That you have a 2 1/4 lbs trigger.

• 2 months later...
On 4/19/2020 at 12:13 PM, ltdmstr said:

Depends on what you're trying to do.  If you just want an approximate weight, spring gages are fine.  But they're not particularly accurate.  A static, NRA type weight set is more accurate and consistent.

Same here. The weights are right on the money.