Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New To PCC - JP GMR Setup Questions

Going to give PCC a good try for USPSA.  Going to order a JP GMR this week and wanted input on getting a  regular or ultralight and barrel length. 

What are the have to have accessories?  Magwells, mags, grips etc. Will use a Holosun if possible.  Appreciate the help. 

Edited by NCShadow2

Just scroll through this forum for the last several months and you will find tons of threads about this subject. A few smaller things I ordered, or didn't, on mine that I thought were worth it: extended mag release, stainless bolt, better magpull stock, standard competition trigger, 14.5 barrel with pinned comp. I don't think it heat fins are worth it and they make the gun too heavy also.

A couple of thoughts:  first, if you want to stay with 16" to avoid having to get an SBR stamp, consider the Wiland USA LLW barrel.  It has a 5.5" rifled section with a barrel steel shroud welded on to bring it to 16.1".  Transitions are lightning fast, because there is no weight hanging out front.

Second, magwell.  You should not need one.  The only time you are going to change mags in USPSA is on a Classifier.  Otherwise, a 40 round mag will get you through any course, unless you miss a whole lot.

On the subject of mags, lighter is better.  If you go with a heavy extension you may have problems if your magwell is on the loose side.    With an extended metal base pad, most of the weight is on the bottom of the mag.  So when you fire a shot, recoil pushes the gun back, but the mag stays stationary for a bit because of inertia.  That can cause two things.  One is the mag is more forward than normal so the feed angle is wrong and you get a jam.  The second is the mag is partially released from the mag catch.  If you pull the mag back you will hear a click as the catch reengages.  You can manually hold the mag back in the well, but that is not 100% and not the optimal shooting position.  The ETS 40 round polymer mag is a solution if you are having one of these problems.  It is light, holds 40 reloadable and is clear.  Another solution is the MBX metal Glock 170 mag with 3" extension.  It holds 40 and it's light.  Another plus is the mag catch fits in the hole and is more secure than a Glock or plastic mag is.

I watch people struggle with 51 and 66 rounds mags and wonder why they bother.  Unless you are at a monster match, you'll never need that many, so why put up with the weight.  I watched one guy on my squad during a monster match.  I don't know the brand of extension he used, but it was one of the splice varieties.  It held two plastic mags together and held 54 rounds.  At every stage he would have to fiddle with it to get it seated properly.  On one 64 plate stage he complained he would have to reload.  He did and placed it gently on the ground because he didn't dare drop it. 

Edited by zzt

I basically agree about mags. I have two of the 40 rd ets mags and they work fine. I also have a few 10 rd extensions on Glock 31 rd mags. That's all you will normally need. I did buy a used Goliath extension but I never use it.

For the FEW times you ever need to reload I bought a Titan Rocket magwell. It's plastic but only $37.

I have a JP-GMR15 I bought a bit over a year ago.  Mine has the full length 16" barrel so no pin-and-weld necessary.   My modifications include:

Magpul pistol grip to replace the Hogue (I hate finger grooves) and buying my own was less expensive than the upgrade from JP.

Removed the compensator and replaced it with a thread protector since it reduced weight and a compensator does very little on a 9 mm rifle. Also allows me to use coated bullets without the mess of cleaning the crud out of the compensator.

Replaced the OEM charging handle with a Radian ambidextrous charging handle since I'm left-handed.

Added a Holosun HS510 red dot.

I love mine!

On 4/18/2020 at 8:42 PM, Dkrad1935 said:

I ordered an ar pistol from JP a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, I think they are shut down. So. Waiting. Filling thread as I am curious about setup as well. Especially interested in reflex site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JP is OPEN and working heavy overtime, trust me 😉

Feel free to hit me up if you have any specific questions on builds though. I can walk you through a rifle build. 

I usually recommend going with either the 14.5" pin / weld for USPSA or the 5.5" Ultralight for Steel Challenge IF you never plan to suppress AND you don't want to SBR. I'm a huge fan of my 10.5" GMR's and I kick myself for not going SBR sooner. 

Other accessories include the Taylor Freelance Magwell, TF Goliath or TF standard base pads for capacity, TTI base pads if you need to clean your mags after dropping them in fine sand. Quite a few of us are going with a 45 degree offset for hard leans but that and a laser are not really necessary.