Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buck Mark upgrades?

Wesquire

Whenever I bring a new Buckmark into the competition rotation, I make sure I change the extractor.  If your trigger doesn't have one, an over travel screw.  I also cut about 1/3rd of the coils off of the firing pin spring.  Polish the firing pin til it's silky smooth.  Red loctite on the front screw for whatever style sight/mount you use, and blue loctite on the rear screw.

Edited by rooster mcbee
Added more info

4 hours ago, rooster mcbee said:

Whenever I bring a new Buckmark into the competition rotation, I make sure I change the extractor.  If your trigger doesn't have one, an over travel screw.  I also cut about 1/3rd of the coils off of the firing pin spring.  Polish the firing pin til it's silky smooth.  Red loctite on the front screw for whatever style sight/mount you use, and blue loctite on the rear screw.

What does cutting the firing pin spring accomplish?

11 minutes ago, rooster mcbee said:

Probably nothing, but in my mind it lessens the resistance for the firing pin to travel forward, while still having plenty of power to retract.

I'm pretty sure cutting the spring coils would INCREASE the rate, meaning it would take more force to compress the spring the same distance. Of course, the spring wouldn't need to compress as much because it'd be shorter. IDK how the calculation would work out in the end, but it seems like just using a lighter spring would be the best option (if those are even available).

Edited by Wesquire

I'm sure a WAG (wild ass guess) is better than what the engineer who designed the gun calculated for safe, reliable function of the gun.

Leave the firing pin spring alone, the gun functions just fine with the stock spring.

Nolan