Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Teflon 140 mm STI Mags won’t feed my Costa Ludus 2011

Shooter17

I just purchased 4 140 mm Teflon STI mags and they won’t feed in my 2011 Costa Ludus.  The round is catching the feed ramp.  What are the recommendations to rectify this problem?  Also, has anyone had any issues with MBX mags and this gun?  I might return these mags and grab MBX instead.

Thank you,

I’m having the same issue with MBX gen 1 140 mm mags when full. If I only load 1 round or a few rounds it won’t hang on the feed ramp. OAL doesn’t seem to matter as I’ve loaded them down to 1.125 and same problem.

Edited by forty5cal1911

21 minutes ago, forty5cal1911 said:

I’m having the same issue with MBX gen 1 140 mm mags when full. If I only load 1 round or a few rounds it won’t hang on the feed ramp. OAL doesn’t seem to matter as I’ve loaded them down to 1.125 and same problem.

Well that sucks!

I've found that the feed lips on these Gen 1 MBX .40 cal mags were Front .385 and Rear .390. I've opened up the front to be .397 and is definitely much better when hand feeding with no recoil system. Will see if it can run a full mag without a failure to feed today.

One thing I've learned on these 2011 platforms is that EVERYTHING requires tuning, no exceptions.... YMMV

19 hours ago, Shooter17 said:

I just purchased 4 140 mm Teflon STI mags and they won’t feed in my 2011 Costa Ludus.  The round is catching the feed ramp.  What are the recommendations to rectify this problem?  Also, has anyone had any issues with MBX mags and this gun?  I might return these mags and grab MBX instead.

Thank you,

What kind of bullet are you trying to load?  If it's a JHP or flat nosed bullet, I would suggest trying a stronger magazine spring.  That has solved all of my feeding issues with stock STI mags.

The feed lips probably need to be adjusted(widened), particularly the front ones. They're not allowing the round to tilt upwards when feeding, and ride up the ramp, because they are to tight.

Edited by Postal Bob

23 hours ago, Shooter17 said:

Full magazine.  I haven’t tried to shoot with them yet.

That was my guess. I would try to download and after you have used the magazines a good bit, see if it works with a fully loaded mag.

10 hours ago, Postal Bob said:

The feed lips probably need to be adjusted(widened), particularly the front ones. They're not allowing the round to tilt upwards when feeding, and ride up the ramp, because they are to tight.

Okay I will try and separate them a little.

16 hours ago, Shooter17 said:

I tried using JHP’s first. Switched to Fmj and those are feeding well.

First, is your OAL somewhere between 1.180"-1.20". 2011 guns work best with rounds loaded long.

Next a good properly tuned 2011, and tuned mags, should feed anything. All my 2011's will feed equally well JHP's,  FP's, and FMJ's. If the JHP's are hitting the bottom of the feed ramp, and hanging up, it means they are pointing too low when being stripped out of the magazine. Besides a magazine catch or extractor issue, it's usually a magazine feed lip issue. When a round is fed from the magazine, it should make contact with the feed ramp somewhere in the middle of the ramp. Too high, or too low, it will hang up.

This video by Atlas guns explains it best, and how to fix it.

Edited by Postal Bob

2 hours ago, Postal Bob said:

First, is your OAL somewhere between 1.180"-1.20". 2011 guns work best with rounds loaded long.

Next a good properly tuned 2011, and tuned mags, should feed anything. All my 2011's will feed equally well JHP's,  FP's, and FMJ's. If the JHP's are hitting the bottom of the feed ramp, and hanging up, it means they are pointing too low when being stripped out of the magazine. Besides a magazine catch or extractor issue, it's usually a magazine feed lip issue. When a round is fed from the magazine, it should make contact with the feed ramp somewhere in the middle of the ramp. Too high, or too low, it will hang up.

This video by Atlas guns explains it best, and how to fix it.

+1 on this

I load to 1.19 in .40 and had to open my front mag lips up so that the round presents the projectile tip higher and strikes the feed ramp in the proper position. I confirmed 100% running with my MBX mags yesterday after that modification. You can use a black sharpie to color the feed ramp to determine where your rounds are hitting.