Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are the lengths of the 22 round and 24 round 9mm Glock factory magazines?

IT1WES

What are the lengths of the 22 round and 24 round 9mm Glock factory magazines?
2020 USPSA Open Division rules limit length to Maximum magazine length 6.742” (171.25mm) while ammunition capacity is unlimited.
Wouldn't this limit capacity?

9mm or 40? I have never seen a Glock 22 or 24 round factory 9mm magazine- if there is one I can not see how it would be longer than 171. But the 31/33 is definitely too long. As for limited capacity in open, yes. Rather than set a number for the limit they set length of the mag. This makes some guns more successful at using the available space. And makes other major calibers, outside 9/38, essentially useless in the arms race of open. I can get 29/30 in my MBX 9mm mag so shooting a gun in 40 becomes a handicap immediately because you can only squeeze 24-25 rounds. If you’re talking the 40s&w mags then I believe they’re fine for open, another thread here has them listed at around 154mm in length. Seems like you could put an extension on them and maybe keep them under 171 still???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

See here for example: https://gunmagwarehouse.com/glock-9mm-24-round-factory-magazine.html

They're longer than 141.25mm, but shorter than 171.25mm. Pretty sure an extension would be fine, but I haven't added an extension to mine.

Thanks for the link. I’ve never seen those before, looks like maybe a gen5 addition to the product line?

See here for example: https://gunmagwarehouse.com/glock-9mm-24-round-factory-magazine.html

They're longer than 141.25mm, but shorter than 171.25mm. Pretty sure an extension would be fine, but I haven't added an extension to mine.

Thanks for the link. I’ve never seen those before, looks like maybe a gen5 addition to the product line?

Here is a posting I made quite a while ago about the 24 round 9mm mag and extension. The factory 24 round 9 mm mag and the 22 round 40 mag are the same stock length - somewhere in the low to mid 160mm range. Taylor Freelance makes a +3/4 mag extension specifically for them that will still be of legal length for open.

"The +3/+4 basepad that Taylor Freelance already makes for the Glock 22 rd 40 mag to give it a 25 rd capacity also works on the 24 rd 9 mag. The stock 22 rd 40 mag is identical in length to the new 24 rd 9mm mag.  The TF basepad gives me a reloadable capacity of 28 rds in the 9 mag (25 rds in the 40 mag) and fits the gauge for 171.25 just like it was intended to do for the 40 mag. The new 24 rd mag with +3/+4 basepad installed is virtually identical in length to a 17 rd 9 mag with a +12 TF basepad installed without having to worry about the transition between the basepad and mag that can cause issues. Works great for my open Glock 17."