Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10x bushing on shadow 2 DIY?

chomorro

On 4/24/2020 at 3:43 PM, inertia said:

Hot slide, cold bushing, easy peasey

Except when it isn't.

The one time I had an issue with one of these, I started just trying to knock the stock bushing out of a room-temperature slide, then started heating up the front of the slide with a heat gun, escalated to a torch, and finally put the slide with the stock bushing in the freezer overnight, working on the assumption that both the slide and the bushing would contract, and that if I started applying heat to the slide again, it would expand before the stock bushing would. Don't know how big of a role that played, but that's when I finally got the stupid thing out.

Guess I was lucky.  Mine went a lot easier than I expected. 

Tapped it out with little effort, and slid the new one into the slide.  It lined up perfectly, and I reinstalled the sight and roll pin.  Done!  

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all of the tips.  I'm about to do one to a milled primary machine slide.  Do any of you think that because of the slide cuts that this is a bad idea?  I don't want to damage the slide by beating a bushing out with a hammer.

33 minutes ago, gaj529 said:

Thanks for all of the tips.  I'm about to do one to a milled primary machine slide.  Do any of you think that because of the slide cuts that this is a bad idea?  I don't want to damage the slide by beating a bushing out with a hammer.

using the correct socket and extensions(s) should not have any effect at all on the slide , you don't beat on the slide, only at the extreme rear contact point of the bushing

Put the busking in the freezer and apply a little bit of grease or oil on the slide. This will facilitate for an easy installation. Place a piece of wood on top of the bushing to prevent any damage when you’re tapping it in.

Thinking about trying this install since I staying home anyways. Need to get an 11mm deep socket i believe and 6 inch extension.

Anybody regret doing this themselves lol. Cost about $40 to install at the gunsmith but I have the tools and it seems straight forward.

I'm in CA so the shadow 2 was already hard to get.... maybe it's worth paying a smith.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

chomorro, did you end up replacing the bushing yourself?
Just curious....
Rob

Sent from my SM-F700N using Tapatalk

chomorro, did you end up replacing the bushing yourself?
Just curious....
Rob

Sent from my SM-F700N using Tapatalk

Not yet, I bought the vice and have all tools necessary. I was hoping to do a pre and post comparison first. OEM, vs 10x vs czc bushing modification. I have a extra shadow 2 slide getting milled and fitted for the 1911 style bushing.

I guess the real comparison will be 10x vs 1911 so maybe I will just attempt the install sooner.

It’s very easy to do. While you’re  removing the old bushing using the extension and socket, put the new bashing in the freezer. This will shrink it a little bit and makes installation a breeze. Don’t forget to dab the slide with a little bit of oil or grease to facilitate easy installation .

I installed mine a couple of years ago and it improve its accuracy a bit.

2 hours ago, chomorro said:

Not yet, I bought the vice and have all tools necessary. I was hoping to do a pre and post comparison first. OEM, vs 10x vs czc bushing modification. I have a extra shadow 2 slide getting milled and fitted for the 1911 style bushing.

I guess the real comparison will be 10x vs 1911 so maybe I will just attempt the install sooner.

I hope your bushing comes out as easily as just holding the slide and tapping the socket extension.  An earlier post here by Demp223 mentioned using a vise to effectively press out the bushing by tightening the jaws against the end of the socket extension and the front of slide just below bushing.

Finally, take care to properly line up the new bushing to fit the sight pin.  

Cheers.

I dont get it. You want to save 40 dollars on a 1000+  gun.
I did it myself and it was easy, but if you have to ask, I would spent the 40 bucks.
Gun cost me way over 2k so 40 bucks saved makes a difference lol. After all this Corona stuff and ffls being slammed though now it's just a matter of not wanting to wait 6 weeks to get it back.l and wait in line for two hours to drop off and pick up.

On 4/22/2020 at 4:19 PM, usmc1977 said:

I replace a lot of bushings/bearings on military jets. When I want to “shrink” a bushing for an interference fit there are three methods. Use liquid nitrogen, dry ice with liquid acetone, and dry ice with isopropyl alcohol. Suspend bushings from a wire into whatever solution you choose for about 20-30 minutes and install while wearing a pair of gloves. The nitrogen method is probably not accessible to most people but everyone can get dry ice and isopropyl alcohol. Put enough liquid in a metal container (I use a cheap stainless thermos). Do not put the lid on the thermos for obvious reasons (big explosion from the gas expansion)....

Great info.  Suspend the bearing in isopropyl alcohol and then add the dry ice, correct?